Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: We need to talk about Todd Heap.

What makes Heap special in Baltimore, is that for YEARS he was the *only* playmaker in the passing game, and I include the quarterback position in the passing game.

Is he the best TE in the NFL? No. But he is one of the top 5 pass catching TE's in football.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I think Heap has to start to learn how to protect himself.That means if the extra yard is not there.Go down.If you see that safety or LB coming in,go down to avoid him.

Fred Taylor said he changed his running style with the Jags,to stop taking the big hit and suffering injuries.And here he is breaking 10,000 yards.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    You got it!!!
    Uh, no, he doesn't, Mormons don't use caffeine, alcohol or ILLEGAL drugs. There is no part of the LDS Church philosophy that precludes using legal drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/players/toddheap/...e?id=HEA302949

2007 Baltimore Ravens 6 6 23 239 10.4 37 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 73 765 10.5 30 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2005 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 75 855 11.4 48 7 -- -- -- -- -- 2 1
    2004 Baltimore Ravens 6 5 27 303 11.2 37 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 57 693 12.2 33T 3 3 21 7.0 9 0 1 0
    2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 68 836 12.3 43 6 4 38 9.5 15 0 -- --
    2001 Baltimore Ravens 12 6 16 206 12.9 24T 1 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

Besides 2004, this is the first year he has missed starts since he was backing up Shannon Sharpe. And these are games he played in, not just active for.

I know, BELIEVE ME I KNOW, it seems like he misses a lot of time but he actually is pretty damn durable considering the hits he takes.
    Greg, I think you are missing my point.

Heap, as much as I like him, has suited up many times and played either and 1/4 to a 1/2 of some games. In fact, he's done it twice this season.

And that can be even more detrimental than actually being inactive.

PP

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te.php

Someone else that has agreed with me... Never better then 5th... Usually MUCH lower.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te.php

Someone else that has agreed with me... Never better then 5th... Usually MUCH lower.
    Wellllllllll, again we're using nothing but numbers to determine worth and production. And as we all know, numbers alone don't say everything.

I would put Gates and Gonzalez ahead of Heap. I might put Witten and Shockey ahead of him too. But no way in hell is Alge Crumpler better than Todd Heap. Same with Calvin Cooley or McMichael.

The key to that list is "We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other."

The only TEs who gets into the top ten without decent QB play are Gonzalez and Crumpler. And arguably Gates, who is a much better TE than Rivers is a QB.

Interesting that he ranked as the worst TE in the league in 2003, but I guess that can't be helped when you're the only option on a team QBed by a rookie Boller and Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Greg, I think you are missing my point.

Heap, as much as I like him, has suited up many times and played either and 1/4 to a 1/2 of some games. In fact, he's done it twice this season.

And that can be even more detrimental than actually being inactive.

PP

I agree. Its the game where he is active and the starter and cannot complete the game that are especially a problem.

Honestly, obviously this team has/had bigger concerns than at TE. This includes issues at QB, O-line, RB, WR, etc

But with Mason, Clayton, DWill, and darling under contract, that position is now relatively stable

RB, McGahee is the guy, like it or not, for a while

At o-line, we have the future with Terry/Yanda/Gaither and Brown/Chester/Grubbs

But with Wilcox nicked up / injury prone and heap also, TE is becomming a point of concern.

Sypnewski is showing better hands than I'd expect, but also guilty of a killer fumble or two and also not great at getting separation

If we had to choose between paying heap the same and drafting another TE, at this point, i think you'd have to consider drafting a new TE. If he took #2 type TE money, then fine. But right now this contract is more paying him for what he did first coming into the league more than what he's done recently.

Todd Heap is a warrior, this guy over the years has taken shots from defenders that hurt just watching 'em. He's been on the recieving end of throws over the years of passers that stared down their primary read enabling the DBs and Linebackers to get clean big shots on him. The QBs if anything have contributed to Heaps injuries all though I don't see them as significant all things consider'd . Part of the QBs job is to protect their recievers, this doesn't happen here.

Todd Heaps place in the NFLs top ten tight end list can be debated but anyone who has paid even a little bit of attention to Raven games over the years can never question this mans heart or willingness to go to war for his teammates.