Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: We need to talk about Todd Heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe86 View Post
    He's a devout Mormon. Don't they forgo drugs of any kind? I don't think he can even get a cortisone shot. That's why he seems to take forever to heal.
    This is something we need to keep in mind. While other players take a shot, to help them play through pain, Heap foregoes this procedure.

Heap is not that devout. I heard him on the radio a few seasons ago when he was out for awhile and he dispelled the rumor that he wasnt using everything available to heal. He said that certain mormons wouldnt, the same level of orthodoxy that wont drink caffiene. Heap then stated that he enjoys the occasional coke.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Heap is an elite TE, he struggles with his blocking at times

That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a pretty big hole in the ground...

He's a great passcatcher, period. Unfortunately, ther eis a LOT more to being a TE then simply catching passes. There is running routes, of which he is also top notch, and ther eis breaking tackles , and blocking, both of which he is putrid at. Ther eis also staying on the field. NOtice that everythign physical is what he isn't good at. The reason he is a poor blocker is that he seems to shy away from contact, kinda the whole point of blocking. He is sofT, with a capital T.
    I wouldn't cut the guy, btu like I've been saying on this forum and the other for a couple of years now(before the extension) he simply isn't an elite all around TE. He is a glorified, large body, WR, who is slow for THAT position. Mark Clayton is a better run blocker. That says something. And yes, that is nothing more then my visual recollection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I do agree with the observations that the way Heap has been used has led to many bone crunching hits. He's hung out to dry every game. He has to wait many times for the ball to get to him which results in unneeded hits. I wonder what % of passes he's caught have been when he's facing the QB while standing still. It's alot.

I don't think Heap is soft at all. I don't think he milks injuries. But he's got a huge contract and we need him on the field.

The saddest part is that when Heap is out our offense takes such a big hit. Sure, he's a big part. But really, him being out shouldn't be such a big thing. But with this offense, sadly it is.

PP
    All good points.....he's ALWAYS stretched out when making a catch, never seems to be in stride.......

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a pretty big hole in the ground...

He's a great passcatcher, period. Unfortunately, ther eis a LOT more to being a TE then simply catching passes. There is running routes, of which he is also top notch, and ther eis breaking tackles , and blocking, both of which he is putrid at. Ther eis also staying on the field. NOtice that everythign physical is what he isn't good at. The reason he is a poor blocker is that he seems to shy away from contact, kinda the whole point of blocking. He is sofT, with a capital T.
    I wouldn't cut the guy, btu like I've been saying on this forum and the other for a couple of years now(before the extension) he simply isn't an elite all around TE. He is a glorified, large body, WR, who is slow for THAT position. Mark Clayton is a better run blocker. That says something. And yes, that is nothing more then my visual recollection.
    Are you serious??????? Did you really just call him soft?????? What the hell have you been watching for years? He is one of the best TE in the league, is he the best blocker, maybe not but I will take everything else he does over blocking any day. Soft........wow I don't know any TE that has taken more hard hits than him. YOU ARE CRAZY
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Have you ever seen him try and BLOCK? I haven't and I've seen basically every game the Ravens have played since he's been on the roster. He AVOIDS contact in the run game. Avoids it, and is still hurt a bit shy of 25% of games while under contract. There are a good handful of players I would take over him as a passcatcehr and EVERY SINGLE ONE is a better blocker. He gets nothing after the catch.

Have you ever seen him try and BLOCK? I haven't and I've seen basically every game the Ravens have played since he's been on the roster. He AVOIDS contact in the run game. Avoids it, and is still hurt a bit shy of 25% of games while under contract. There are a good handful of players I would take over him as a passcatcehr and EVERY SINGLE ONE is a better blocker. He gets nothing after the catch.

Are you even looking at what your write? He avoids contact, really he plays in the NFL and takes harder hits than maybe any TE or WR in the game, puts himself out to get killed all the time yet he is scared to block
    You may be the dumbest person I have ever met. Yea i'm sure everytime he lines up he's like oh shit i hope that guys 2 feet in front of me doesn't hit me i'm so scared, but god i hope when i get free over the middle i get crushed since that is what always happens, but just don't let this DE hit me :grbac:
    You say you watch every game, well i would tell you that you need to stay sober one day and watch a game because you have no clue what the hell you are talking about!!!!!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Heap has been oft-injured, and actually am of the opinion that his being Mormon probalby mean he doesn't take shots and supplements, etc as much as some other athletes.

Of course, our QBs haven't helped thatmuch, but his style is that he takes contact on rather than fall down. I think he's a very tough guy.

I'm not sure that he does everything possible to recover. Does he have a hyperbaric chamber? If he doesn't, he should get one.

He gets nothing after the catch.
    He gets nothing after the catch because he usually has three guys on his back i don't know anyone that would get YAC with 3 guys on your back.

Here is the official record of games started and played by Heap from NFL.com

Year Games Played Games Started
    2007 6 6
    2006 16 16
    2005 16 16
    2004 6 5
    2003 16 16
    2002 16 16
    2001 12 6

Totals: 88 81

I hate it people post wrong information. Take from that what you want. Personally I think Todd is one the toughest players in the game. Sports writers across the country don't label him one of the best TE for nothing.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    It all comes down to the play calling and the limited offense we run.
    Yes. Like global warming and concentrated poverty, it is the fault of Brian Billick. :grbac:

This board is wearing me out recently.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    It all comes down to the play calling and the limited offense we run.
    Not to mention EXECUTION by the players, which I believe is the main reason why this offense fails. QBs Not hitting open receivers; receivers cutting routes short; line not blocking; penalties; etc..