Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We need to talk about Todd Heap.

Sorry everyone, I need to bring up a topic that may be even more controversial than Kyle Boller and Brian Billick put together. We need to have a serious conversation about Todd Heap.

Now, before the torches and pitchforks come out, let me be clear. Heap has been great on the field. He makes all the good circus catches and seems to love to flip in the air when he's hit. He's got sure hands and runs solid TE routes.

WHEN HE IS HEALTHY...........................And folks, with Heap that has been quite the struggle.

At what point do we start talking about Heap being "injury prone"? Once again he's out of practice and likely not going to play this Sunday. He missed 10 games in 2004, a number of games last year, and now missing significant time this year.

I love what a healthy Heap brings to the table. But he's pretty much becoming more injured than healthy. Is anyone else getting concerned by this?

Re: We need to talk about Todd Heap.

No, not really if the rest of the TEs are healthy, but with Wilcox basically out all season as well, we are down to our third string TE starting.

Maybe they should keep 4 TEs on the roster in the future and one FB. I can't really see a need for a 2nd FB other than special teams duty.

Yes, I have been concerned with Heap's durability for some time. Not so much that he gets dinged up because that is just the nature of football but his seeming inability to play through things. I'm not a doctor so I can't say how serious his injuries have been but it seems to me that he's very quick to keep himself out until he's near 100%. While every player would prefer to be at or near 100% on game day most are willing to play at less than that as long as they can contribute, Heap seems less so to me. JMO

I'm concerned that Heap probably takes harder hits than 90% of the other NFL receivers...He's perpetually getting blasted after catches and drops.

Hopefully he can get better quick, but I don't beleive that Heap milks injuries at all. If he ain't playing, it's because he's not capable to at that time. Injury prone? I'm still on the fence about that...If he's not back by the time we play San Diego/Patriots/Colts though...:grbac:
    Last edited by RAVENOUS52; 11-15-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Games Heap has missed:

- 3 this season
    - 10 in 2004
    - 4 in 2001 (his rookie season)

Yeah, he's really injury prone isn't he? Heap is an elite TE, he struggles with his blocking at times but his pass catching is as good as there is and he is tough. Find him a quarterback who doesn't absolutely hang him out to dry on every throw into traffic and he'll stop missing games. Every other elite TE has had for large chunks of their career a QB who doesn't lead him into the big hits, doesn't make him work for every reception, Heap has never had that and it's a mark of his career that he's still put up good numbers for a TE in spite of this, he's never put up the elite numbers, but if we find him the right QB, he will.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Games Heap has missed:

- 3 this season
    - 10 in 2004
    - 4 in 2001 (his rookie season)

Yeah, he's really injury prone isn't he? Heap is an elite TE, he struggles with his blocking at times but his pass catching is as good as there is and he is tough. Find him a quarterback who doesn't absolutely hang him out to dry on every throw into traffic and he'll stop missing games. Every other elite TE has had for large chunks of their career a QB who doesn't lead him into the big hits, doesn't make him work for every reception, Heap has never had that and it's a mark of his career that he's still put up good numbers for a TE in spite of this, he's never put up the elite numbers, but if we find him the right QB, he will.
    See, here's the problem with those stats.

How many games has Heap been active but left early because of aggravating an existing injury? It's happened twice already this year. Those games listed above are games that he was deactivated. But I bet if you look a little deeper you'll find alot of games that he was dressed but played a very limited role.

I do agree with the observations that the way Heap has been used has led to many bone crunching hits. He's hung out to dry every game. He has to wait many times for the ball to get to him which results in unneeded hits. I wonder what % of passes he's caught have been when he's facing the QB while standing still. It's alot.

I don't think Heap is soft at all. I don't think he milks injuries. But he's got a huge contract and we need him on the field.

The saddest part is that when Heap is out our offense takes such a big hit. Sure, he's a big part. But really, him being out shouldn't be such a big thing. But with this offense, sadly it is.

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I do agree with the observations that the way Heap has been used has led to many bone crunching hits. He's hung out to dry every game. He has to wait many times for the ball to get to him which results in unneeded hits. I wonder what % of passes he's caught have been when he's facing the QB while standing still. It's alot.

I don't think Heap is soft at all. I don't think he milks injuries. But he's got a huge contract and we need him on the field.

The saddest part is that when Heap is out our offense takes such a big hit. Sure, he's a big part. But really, him being out shouldn't be such a big thing. But with this offense, sadly it is.

PP
    All good points.....he's ALWAYS stretched out when making a catch, never seems to be in stride.......

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Heap is an elite TE, he struggles with his blocking at times

That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a pretty big hole in the ground...

He's a great passcatcher, period. Unfortunately, ther eis a LOT more to being a TE then simply catching passes. There is running routes, of which he is also top notch, and ther eis breaking tackles , and blocking, both of which he is putrid at. Ther eis also staying on the field. NOtice that everythign physical is what he isn't good at. The reason he is a poor blocker is that he seems to shy away from contact, kinda the whole point of blocking. He is sofT, with a capital T.
    I wouldn't cut the guy, btu like I've been saying on this forum and the other for a couple of years now(before the extension) he simply isn't an elite all around TE. He is a glorified, large body, WR, who is slow for THAT position. Mark Clayton is a better run blocker. That says something. And yes, that is nothing more then my visual recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a pretty big hole in the ground...

He's a great passcatcher, period. Unfortunately, ther eis a LOT more to being a TE then simply catching passes. There is running routes, of which he is also top notch, and ther eis breaking tackles , and blocking, both of which he is putrid at. Ther eis also staying on the field. NOtice that everythign physical is what he isn't good at. The reason he is a poor blocker is that he seems to shy away from contact, kinda the whole point of blocking. He is sofT, with a capital T.
    I wouldn't cut the guy, btu like I've been saying on this forum and the other for a couple of years now(before the extension) he simply isn't an elite all around TE. He is a glorified, large body, WR, who is slow for THAT position. Mark Clayton is a better run blocker. That says something. And yes, that is nothing more then my visual recollection.
    Are you serious??????? Did you really just call him soft?????? What the hell have you been watching for years? He is one of the best TE in the league, is he the best blocker, maybe not but I will take everything else he does over blocking any day. Soft........wow I don't know any TE that has taken more hard hits than him. YOU ARE CRAZY
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

He's a devout Mormon. Don't they forgo drugs of any kind? I don't think he can even get a cortisone shot. That's why he seems to take forever to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe86 View Post
    He's a devout Mormon. Don't they forgo drugs of any kind? I don't think he can even get a cortisone shot. That's why he seems to take forever to heal.
    This is something we need to keep in mind. While other players take a shot, to help them play through pain, Heap foregoes this procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe86 View Post
    You got it!!!