Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: We need to talk about Todd Heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Here is the official record of games started and played by Heap from NFL.com

Year Games Played Games Started
    2007 6 6
    2006 16 16
    2005 16 16
    2004 6 5
    2003 16 16
    2002 16 16
    2001 12 6

Totals: 88 81

I hate it people post wrong information. Take from that what you want. Personally I think Todd is one the toughest players in the game. Sports writers across the country don't label him one of the best TE for nothing.

No offense man but 2 things:

1) Games played and started does not equal games injured in or time missed. He's started games this year only to be yanked by the second quarter. That still shows up as a game started and game played.

2) Not many people are labeling him one of the best TE's anymore. I guarantee you before Todd Heap's name shows up anywhere there are 3-4 other TE's mentioned. Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    This board is wearing me out recently.

I guess this is what happens when a 13-3 division champ turns into a 4-5 also-ran at week 10.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

To those who want Todd heap gone after just one bad year need to get a clue. He hasnt been injured that much and EVERYONE on the team is having a bad year this year.

How can you hold him to the same standard as previous years when this year we've had a QB laying steaming piles on the field???

Ok Houston. Why don't you go back through the thread and quote whoever said Todd Heap needs to go. Because I don't remember seeijg anyone say that. Please don't twist this thread into something it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Ok Houston. Why don't you go back through the thread and quote whoever said Todd Heap needs to go. Because I don't remember seeijg anyone say that. Please don't twist this thread into something it isn't.
    My bad. No twisting, just a misread.

I agree with your earlier points.

Cool, no worries Houston. I just want to make sure we aren't turning this into a "cut Todd Heap" thread. That's not what this is about. I have legitimate concern at this point about his ability to stay on the field. That's all.

I agree 100%. Heap can't seem to stay on the field and that detracts from my impressions of him as a player.

Sure...he's pretty solid while healthy, but at this point, I'd still take KWII, Gates, Witten, Clark, Watson, Cooley, and maybe even ancient Gonzo over heap. These guys can generally stay on the field and might be different players in some ways, but all of them are very effective.

That's nothing against Heap while he's healthy, when he's a go, he's as good a TE as you can wish for catching the ball. He blocking leaves a lot to be desired, but you get what you get.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

http://www.nfl.com/players/toddheap/...e?id=HEA302949

2007 Baltimore Ravens 6 6 23 239 10.4 37 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 73 765 10.5 30 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2005 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 75 855 11.4 48 7 -- -- -- -- -- 2 1
    2004 Baltimore Ravens 6 5 27 303 11.2 37 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 57 693 12.2 33T 3 3 21 7.0 9 0 1 0
    2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 68 836 12.3 43 6 4 38 9.5 15 0 -- --
    2001 Baltimore Ravens 12 6 16 206 12.9 24T 1 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

Besides 2004, this is the first year he has missed starts since he was backing up Shannon Sharpe. And these are games he played in, not just active for.

I know, BELIEVE ME I KNOW, it seems like he misses a lot of time but he actually is pretty damn durable considering the hits he takes.

He's a devout Mormon. Don't they forgo drugs of any kind? I don't think he can even get a cortisone shot. That's why he seems to take forever to heal.
    I think you are confusing Mormons with Christian Scientists.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/faqs/

Latter-day Saints believe that the body is a gift from God to be cared for and respected, not to be polluted or abused. In their daily lives, Saints follow a set of health guidelines Joseph Smith received from God in 1833 called the Word of Wisdom. As interpreted today, this code states that Mormons should abstain from coffee and tea, alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs. Over time there has been dispute and changing mores within the church regarding exactly what the Word of Wisdom disallows. For example, the original document warned against drinking any hot beverages, but over time this has come to be interpreted as only hot beverages containing caffeine. Some debate remains over whether cold caffeinated beverages like colas should also be avoided; the church's official policy is to leave it up to individuals to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I agree 100%. Heap can't seem to stay on the field and that detracts from my impressions of him as a player.

Sure...he's pretty solid while healthy, but at this point, I'd still take KWII, Gates, Witten, Clark, Watson, Cooley, and maybe even ancient Gonzo over heap. These guys can generally stay on the field and might be different players in some ways, but all of them are very effective.

That's nothing against Heap while he's healthy, when he's a go, he's as good a TE as you can wish for catching the ball. He blocking leaves a lot to be desired, but you get what you get.

Winslow has missed a lot of time since entering the league remember the motorcycle accident. Cooley just became effective late last season. Gonzo gets injured every year I know due to FF. Theonly one that stays moe healthy is Gates and he is by far the #1, but we get just as much if not more out of Heap than any of the others being mentioned. It is unfair to consider him against Gonzo as he has been KC's only WR for years. I think due to a bad season fans are starting to grab at any reason they can to make an excuse. Heap is great and willbe great for years!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    You may be the dumbest person I have ever met. Yea i'm sure everytime he lines up he's like oh shit i hope that guys 2 feet in front of me doesn't hit me i'm so scared, but god i hope when i get free over the middle i get crushed since that is what always happens, but just don't let this DE hit me :grbac:
    You say you watch every game, well i would tell you that you need to stay sober one day and watch a game because you have no clue what the hell you are talking about!!!!!
    I will take my apology after you ACTUALLY WATCH him trya nd block this weekend. It really is THAT bad. The ammount of times that he COMPLETELY misses blocks on the move is ALARMING. Any sort of sweep or stretch play where he can't jsut lock on to whom is in front of him is a GUARANTEED whif. When he is locked up with someone he is damn likely to get overwhlemed. I really, really honestly mean this from watching the runblockign closely, that MARK CLAYTON is a better Runblocker then Heap.
    I challenge you to watch closely Heap and his blocking skills this week. I would be completely surprised if there weren't a lot of posts on here monday talking about it.

BTW, we've never met.
    Also, BTW, I don't think we should cut Heap, just explaining that he is not what people make him out to be, has NEVER had elite stats, and quite frankly, would be a VERY low priority to re-sign when his time comes. I liek the guy and think he has been a great asset to this team. But he is simply not elite, never has been and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    Winslow has missed a lot of time since entering the league remember the motorcycle accident. Cooley just became effective late last season. Gonzo gets injured every year I know due to FF. Theonly one that stays moe healthy is Gates and he is by far the #1, but we get just as much if not more out of Heap than any of the others being mentioned. It is unfair to consider him against Gonzo as he has been KC's only WR for years. I think due to a bad season fans are starting to grab at any reason they can to make an excuse. Heap is great and willbe great for years!
    I'm not grabbing at reasons and excuses. Heap is one of the most overrated players by Baltimoreans. That is NOT to say he's not good. But half the fan base acts like he's a perennial all-pro. He is better than above average, and is only on the very fringes of elite TE discussion, brought up by Baltimore fans and essentially no one else. Is it the QB not getting him the ball, him being hurt? Who knows. But being off the field for such long stretches is a concern, plain and simple.

Heap is also a great guy, but that doesn't get you a job, ask Kyle Boller. If and/or when the Ravens resign Heap, it's not going to be to some record contract, it should be in line with the second tier TEs.

Cooley just being effective starting last year is both irrelevant and wrong. I guess 71 catches 774 yards, 7 TDs in 2005 is a bad year. If that's so, Heap's pretty lame as that's about on par with Heap's best showings in his career (68-836-6, 73-855-7, 73-765-6). KWII was hurt before, sure, but outside one freak leg break he's healthy when on the field and, in my opinion, a far superior threat in the passing game compared to Heap. I don't think you can leave Witten out...I think he's probably the best all-around TE in the league and if not, he's so close it's just going to be bickering.

Heap is still a damn good player, missing him AND wilcox really kills the offense cause Billick's always been a big lover of TEs. 2000 team had two of the best TEs in a long time...Sharpe and Ben Coates. Excuse, no, Billick should be able to adjust his scheme to compensate, period.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 11-16-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe86 View Post
    He's a devout Mormon. Don't they forgo drugs of any kind? I don't think he can even get a cortisone shot. That's why he seems to take forever to heal.
    You got it!!!