Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ravens

2008 Ravens

What position player should the Ravens draft for next year ? Do you think the Ravens should do as they have done in the past best player available or target certain positions ?

Re: 2008 Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLisa View Post
    What position player should the Ravens draft for next year ? Do you think the Ravens should do as they have done in the past best player available or target certain positions ?
    A little early to be talking positions since we dont know what order we will pick. I have always agreed with the philosophy of drafting the best player available in the first round no matter what the team needs are.

I think BPA makes sense, except when you're talking about QB. When you need a QB, throw everything out the window and the get the guy you want or need.

All QBs are drafted too early because QB is the most important position without question in today's NFL.

However, if the Ravens have a choice between Chris Long and Andre Woodson, I'd NOT want to be Ozzie....

EDIT: FYI with the way records may work out...Ravens could be between 8 and 14...with the Falcons, Dolphins, Vikings, and Bears all picking before the Ravens. Good luck with a QB then.

Optimistic part is then you've got a shot at Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Long potentially (if you're #8)
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 11-15-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Wink Re: 2008 Ravens

BPA between DE and CB.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

As of now I'd have to say CB but as we all know, things can change.

PP

It's an absolute no brainer, if the Ravens have a chance to get one of the 3 top QBs, they will take them.

At some point we will have to sacrifice on the defense to improve the team as a whole, Ozzie said this some time back. The D without Pryce and Rolle for most of the year, as well as without McAlister for the past few games, with a hobbled Reed and Suggs, has still performed at a high level, the exception being the Steeler game. So we get another CB or a DE, yeah, the defense will stay pretty good, but that doesn't mean a damn thing if the offense continues to play as it has, and without a long term solution at QB (I don't think Boller is the answer) we still aren't going to go anywhere.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6 View Post
    It's an absolute no brainer, if the Ravens have a chance to get one of the 3 top QBs, they will take them.

At some point we will have to sacrifice on the defense to improve the team as a whole, Ozzie said this some time back. The D without Pryce and Rolle for most of the year, as well as without McAlister for the past few games, with a hobbled Reed and Suggs, has still performed at a high level, the exception being the Steeler game. So we get another CB or a DE, yeah, the defense will stay pretty good, but that doesn't mean a damn thing if the offense continues to play as it has, and without a long term solution at QB (I don't think Boller is the answer) we still aren't going to go anywhere.
    Good post......I think even if the Top 3 QB's (whoever they are to the Ravens) are gone, you're still gonna see them get one.....

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Best player available, every round, every time.

But until we see how the season plays out this is a waste of time. Boller is the lynch pin, if he falters we will be at least looking to trade up and get a top QB. If he pans out and proves to be a viable NFL starter then things change completely.

But you go BPA always, you try and adjust your draft position via trades to meet need, not reach. If the player you need it a late first rounder and you are at 12 you trade back and pick him later. If you really want that QB who will probably go top 10 and he is worth it, you trade up from where ever you are and bite the bullet.

But again, until we know what we need this is a premature conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I think BPA makes sense, except when you're talking about QB. When you need a QB, throw everything out the window and the get the guy you want or need.

All QBs are drafted too early because QB is the most important position without question in today's NFL.

However, if the Ravens have a choice between Chris Long and Andre Woodson, I'd NOT want to be Ozzie....

EDIT: FYI with the way records may work out...Ravens could be between 8 and 14...with the Falcons, Dolphins, Vikings, and Bears all picking before the Ravens. Good luck with a QB then.

Optimistic part is then you've got a shot at Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Long potentially (if you're #8)

I disagree a little. This year is one of the most QB packed drafts in years. Even at 14 we would have some good options at QB if that is the way they want to go. I still it is to early to decide which way we will go, but i always think you should draft bpa.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Best player available, every round, every time.

But until we see how the season plays out this is a waste of time. Boller is the lynch pin, if he falters we will be at least looking to trade up and get a top QB. If he pans out and proves to be a viable NFL starter then things change completely.

I have been labled a Boller hugger for quite some time, but even if he LIGHTS IT UP, I still want a top tier prosepect. Temas need to have AT LEAST a good starter and capable backup. McNair is neither, and I think that at a minimum, Boller fulfills the second need. If he can start and be good, then he can start and be good next year, and then go as a FA, or re-sign to compete once again. There is noone in the draft that would keep me away from a QB. Not McFadden, Not Dorsey, Long or Long.... And those ARE the top 4 guys in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    I disagree a little. This year is one of the most QB packed drafts in years. Even at 14 we would have some good options at QB if that is the way they want to go. I still it is to early to decide which way we will go, but i always think you should draft bpa.
    Maybe my brain is littered with Grand Marnier resin, but I think it would be very unusual for a team to go back-to-back drafts picking up a QB. Granted, we got Smith late and anything can happen between now and February, but if Smith is filling a valuable role by then, I cant see the Ravens picking up another QB .....

... Unless we totally lay a steaming pile the rest of the season and finish 4-12

Speaking of drafts..... Will the Gods ALWAYS shine on the Billicheat Patsies?. You know they lost THEIR 1st rounder in the Spygate debacle....... BUT they still have San Fran's #1..... which, it appears, will be VERY high!!!:grbac: