Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FASSEL: "Brian was very good about this."

“Brian was very good about this,” Fassel said. “He told me, ‘You’re right. My job’s on the line and the only way I can deal with this is if I take control of the offense."

More in an insightful piece from AW here:

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...6&view=archive
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: FASSEL: "Brian was very good about this."

I don't read that article and come away with the warm fuzzies. Sounds like things were worse than we were hearing.

FHRaven

I agree, FH, it sounds to me like this team is out of control and based on the attitude towards Billick I don't see it changing. They need to fire Billick then maybe the players will be happy.

Another dissenting view was expressed, though, by a starter who predicted that little would change with Fassel’s departure because the Ravens’ adaptation of the West Coast offense is based heavily on Billick’s philosophy and beliefs.
    But Billick's success with the West Coast offense came with strong-armed Randall Cunningham at the helm. Then again for half season with strong-armed Tony Banks. He'll never get there with a weak-armed Steve McNair. Without the ability to go "vertical", the short stuff will be smothered.

Billick hasn’t endorsed the offense lately, and said he was troubled by three turnovers apiece in two consecutive losses.
    The OC tosses picks?

:T2:

Out of control? Sorry...I don't buy that...at least yet.

What I see is players that are very passionate, and vocal, about the performance of the offense. That implies accountability and a sense of committment.

I would be more concerned if they didn't care and just went about their business and cashed their paychecks.

Now....I can do without a lot of the airing of dirty laundry in public....but clearly several players - and most likely some coaches - went to Billick internally with complaints about the problem.

Billick did what he thought would solve the problem - and exactly what Bisciotti and Newsome asked him to do before retaining him in January, btw.

Now....if the offense doesn't improve and/or the players feel they are still being ignored, then we can discuss an out-of-control situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    But Billick's success with the West Coast offense came with strong-armed Randall Cunningham at the helm. Then again for half season with strong-armed Tony Banks. He'll never get there with a weak-armed Steve McNair. Without the ability to go "vertical", the short stuff will be smothered.

The OC tosses picks?

:T2:
    You make good points about the need for a strong armed QB! However even when there is a strong armed QB there, the play calling was for short dink and dunk stuff? Perhaps they don't have a receiver to stretch the field? Today is the trade deadline and there will be no move to get a Porter or Moss. Yes I think I would give a first round pick for Moss. He had great success with Billick in his early career.

Well we will see Billick's true character emerge as the team goes into the crucible.

Clearly multiple stories at play ranging from SI's Banks version that Fassell wasn't executing at the detailed offensive coordinator level to TL / Aaron's version that this ultimately came from Bisciotti.

It certainly makes sense that ultimately this came from Bisciotti. He has brought true business accountability from his nonsports world to the Ravens and Brian is feeling the heat. Produce or else. Playoffs or lose your job. Brian is being told get better on certain areas or you're gone. That's how it is for many people of responsibility -- this is just getting played out on a very public field.

I think it will be VERY interesting as to how the offense actually looks now. Count me in the minority who thinks there will be some more unpredictability -- because Brian's feeling the heat and he knows that this will reflect on him on a much more personal level than any time before. Chicago has blown out the whole notion of playing it safe on offense because you have a good defense.

I have faith that Brian Billick has great football savvy. Often too smug, but certainly in the top 1/3 of NFL coaches regardless of what any SI poll says.

No one has mentioned Neuheisel in this -- even though Brian will call the play look for Neuheisel to step up his responsibilities significantly, otherwise it will be tough sledding.

We have a tough few games ahead -- New Orleans, Atlanta. The next few games will be make or break given the team's psyche.

Just like Brian was "very good" about not throwing one of his position coaches to the wolves last spring when he found out that guy was leaking confidential info to the press, he once again took the high road with Fassel today. Brian is "very good" that way.

Admirable, I'd say, since Billick knows the depths of the discontent his players had developed for Fassel over the last season and a half.

From all I've gathered throughout the day, Fassel was working less, appeared to be unorganized (to the players) and had grown distant with virtually everyone on the coaching staff. The players started sensing this early in the season and two Pro Bowl players approached Billick the week after the Denver game to question HIM on whether or not he was seeing the same things as the players.

This move today was about trying to salvage the 4-2 start and keep rolling towards the playoffs. There will be an audible sigh of relief from the players (particularly the ones on the offensive side of the ball) when they return to Owings Mills on Saturday.

Aside from the FIRING of Jim Fassel.. How does mark viviano get the scoop before everyone else..he was reporting this at 10 am on the radio... he scooped the Browns coming here to baltimore in 1995... He must be good...
    I'm not looking for a lot to change... We need to replace the Right side of the Offensive Line.. All of the people I talk to who are in Coaching.. say that Vincent and Pashos are not that GOOD... Where is Harry Swayne of the supper bowl years..??
    Everybody Else completes Slant in's and down and outs all day long.. I think Billick owes it to everybody.. to AT LEAST FIRE THE BALL DOWN FIELD... what we have been doing is NOT working. He needs to be more agressive..:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Harry O in Sykesville Ravens Nest # 14 Eldersburg

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I would be more concerned if they didn't care and just went about their business and cashed their paychecks.
    Exactly, the Bengals of the 90s were a bunch of guys collecting game checks. The biggest pain in the ass they had was Corey Dillon, who obviously was just frustrated with the losing. He keeps his mouth shut in NE.

Yes I think I would give a first round pick for Moss.
    I'd offer a 3rd if it can be done cap wise.

We went deep this past Sunday, there were 5-6 vertical attempts and quite a few more 20 yard patterns. Boller's arm is that difference.

If McNair can't go deep then we need to go to the classic west coast offense that Montana ran (he didn't have a big arm though it was more lively than what McNair has shown this year). That is a lot more short and medium passing. But that also reduces the running game. If we aren't going to that then Boller might be the better option. Can we screw Boller's arm onto McNair or McNair's head onto Boller?

The thing that concerns me is I would think it would be very difficult for Billick to wear yet another hat. Being an OC would seem to be a full time job, he already has a full time job as head coach and a full time job watching his back just how much can one man be expected to do? Maybe the solution is to let the team call their own plays? Even if they don't work the kids would be happy.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Aside from the FIRING of Jim Fassel.. How does mark viviano get the scoop before everyone else..he was reporting this at 10 am on the radio... he scooped the Browns coming here to baltimore in 1995... He must be good...
    Well Mrs. Viviano </teasing>, he had a lot of predictions that didn't come to fruition as well. The Clown forums used to have a section they call the Crack Smoker's Lounge. Viviano was a charter member for many calls that were whack.