Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Absolutely.
    2-3 lb tri-tip (trimmed of excess fat)
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup dijon mustard
    1/3 cup white wine
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    3-4 tarragon leaves
    Dalmatian rub (2 parts kosher salt, 1 part fresh ground black pepper)

Combine the oil, mustard, wine, shallot and tarragon leaves in a one gallon ziploc bag. Add the tri-tip and marinate in the frig for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours. I do the 24 hour marinate; it does make a difference.

Remove from marinade. Coat the meat with the dalmatian rub, wrap and let sit for an hour or two. Set smoker to 220 degrees. When smoker reaches temp, smoke meat until 145 degrees internal temperature for medium rare, takes about 2 hours total. Slice on a bias and against the grain. I serve with a chimichurri or a horseradish sauce but its damn tasty by itself too.

Re: Nosh and Quaff -- The Cooking & Booze Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If you can find it, this one is pricey but worth it IMO ....

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2015/10/g...review-102115/
    Dang...that does seem pricey, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Thanks for posting. Will put it on my weekend list for football smoking this fall!

Blog Entries

Made a really great Mediterranean chicken dish tonight.

1tsp evoo
    2 hot Italian sausage links
    6-8 skinless chicken thighs
    1 1/4tsp salt divided
    3/4tsp Blck pepper
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
    1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
    1 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp hot paprika
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed OJ
    1/3 cup of currants or raisins
    3 carrots, cut lengthwise
    1 orange cut into 8 wedges
    12-15 pitted dates or prunes
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    Garnish - toasted pine nuts

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Heat EVOO in a Dutch oven or cast iron pot on the stove top.

Cut sausage into thirds.
    Add chicken and sausage to pot and season with half of the salt and all of the pepper.
    Brown the meat on one side and turn over to brown on the other side.
    Season with the rest of the salt.
    Remove chicken and meat and set aside.
    Add onions and add 1 cup of white wine.
    Stir onions and scrape the bottom of the pan (the goodness...) and cook until the onions are translucent.
    Add garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, and paprika.
    Cook for about 3 min and then add chicken stock, OJ, raisins/currants, and carrots.
    Cook and stir for about 3-5 min.
    Add the chicken and sausage back into the pot.
    Add orange wedges and dates/prunes.
    Stir contents, cover with the pot lid, and put into the oven for 90 min.

Chicken and carrots should be fork tender when done.

I serve it with toasted pine nuts over couscous with sautéed spinach.

You could also serve it over rice.

If you wanted to swing it down to North Africa, add Harissa paste and instead of Italian sausage, use lamb sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bone-in NY Strip from Delmonico's last night.

This pic sealed the deal. Reservation for Delmonico's made.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    This pic sealed the deal. Reservation for Delmonico's made.
    It was perfect. If I wouldn't have looked like a total caveman, I would have picked the bone up and tried to eat the last remaining morsels.

If you're a beer guy, check out Yardhouse over in the Linq. Prob the best beer selection on the strip. If you like IPA's, they have one on tap called Tricerahops - it's delicious.

Blog Entries

Went to a new nano-brewery in Flemington, NJ (close to my in-laws). It's called Lone Eagle brewing. Not bad!

I thought all of their beers were very approachable, which is what you want for a new brewery trying to attract local buyers. You don't want to brew a bunch of crazy shit that is only going to appeal to a niche market.

If you're in the area, I'd recommend it. The head brewmaster used to be with Flying Fish.

Speaking of breweries appealing to niche markets...

Anyone in the Northern VA area? If so, and you're up for an interesting beer experience, check out Adroit Theory. Conceptually, I really dig their stuff. In practice...I have only had one or two of their beers that I thought were really good. At some point, as a brewer, you have to find a handful of styles that you do REALLY well and can replicate quickly and easily. Those styles could be anything, but should probably revolve around a Pale Ale, Stout, American Amber, Pilsner, Saison, Witbier, and maybe a Lager if they're set up for lagering. Adroit theory...I dont know. They overthink it IMO. They'll do a Belgian IPA and then age it in tequila (Mezcal) barrels with juniper berries and limes. The end result is a really high ABV beer that no longer really tastes like an IPA derived from a Belgian yeast strain.

Another one they did was a dry stout with chocolate and chipotle peppers. Conceptually, I like the idea. Chocolate and and chipotle peppers aren't a crazy pairing (mojo sauce, for example), but it was just so overpowering with the peppers. Totally gross.

Blog Entries

Went to a new nano-brewery in Flemington, NJ (close to my in-laws). It's called Lone Eagle brewing. Not bad!

I thought all of their beers were very approachable, which is what you want for a new brewery trying to attract local buyers. You don't want to brew a bunch of crazy shit that is only going to appeal to a niche market.

If you're in the area, I'd recommend it. The head brewmaster used to be with Flying Fish.

Speaking of breweries appealing to niche markets...

Anyone in the Northern VA area? If so, and you're up for an interesting beer experience, check out Adroit Theory. Conceptually, I really dig their stuff. In practice...I have only had one or two of their beers that I thought were really good. At some point, as a brewer, you have to find a handful of styles that you do REALLY well and can replicate quickly and easily. Those styles could be anything, but should probably revolve around a Pale Ale, Stout, American Amber, Pilsner, Saison, Witbier, and maybe a Lager if they're set up for lagering. Adroit theory...I dont know. They overthink it IMO. They'll do a Belgian IPA and then age it in tequila (Mezcal) barrels with juniper berries and limes. The end result is a really high ABV beer that no longer really tastes like an IPA derived from a Belgian yeast strain.

Another one they did was a dry stout with chocolate and chipotle peppers. Conceptually, I like the idea. Chocolate and and chipotle peppers aren't a crazy pairing (mojo sauce, for example), but it was just so overpowering with the peppers. Totally gross.
    there was a local nano up here that had a guy that worked for McCormick or something and could get his hands on all kinds of extracts. In theory you could always see what they were thinking but they never delivered a well balanced beer imo. I thought they folded all together but after a quick search theyre apparently still making beer but only out of their garage and doing festivals. Im thinking theyre not getting the following they were hoping for. Approachable is a good way of putting it for a new brewery, you can have an oddball or two but your flagships better be balanced.
    -JAB

Got a new favorite taco now, thanks to some advice I got at the grocery store today, thats damn tasty and healthy.

Bought two poblanos, roasted them up on the gas stove for about a minute, peeled the skin, chopped them up, set aside.

Sautéed an onion for about 5 minutes, added some ground turkey and when the meat was browned, threw in the chili's and half a jar of tomatillo salsa. Threw in about 1/4 cup of tequila. Once that reduced, it was heaven!

Going to serve with pico and avocado. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Got a new favorite taco now, thanks to some advice I got at the grocery store today, thats damn tasty and healthy.

Bought two poblanos, roasted them up on the gas stove for about a minute, peeled the skin, chopped them up, set aside.

Sautéed an onion for about 5 minutes, added some ground turkey and when the meat was browned, threw in the chili's and half a jar of tomatillo salsa. Threw in about 1/4 cup of tequila. Once that reduced, it was heaven!

Going to serve with pico and avocado. Can't wait!
    this sounds right up me and my husband's alley! let me know how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Finally had In and Out Burger last night while out in San Francisco for business.

I don't get the hype. The burger was decent, not great. The fries were bland as hell.

I'm still in the Whataburger camp as far as fast food burger shops are concerned. Whataburger is the best I've had.

Finally had In and Out Burger last night while out in San Francisco for business.

I don't get the hype. The burger was decent, not great. The fries were bland as hell.

I'm still in the Whataburger camp as far as fast food burger shops are concerned. Whataburger is the best I've had.

Same here. Never got the hype about In and Out.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller