Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Nosh and Quaff -- The Cooking & Booze Thread

Too much seriousness on this side so I wanted to start something that 'should' make things more lighthearted and inviting.

Post your recipes, brews, stews and tastings here. Pics of the before and after are encouraged.

I'll start with what I am making this evening -- smoked beef tri tip.

So right now, I have a 2.5 lb tri tip roast coming to room temperature. It marinated overnight in olive oil, garlic, mustard, S&P and a splash of Jack Daniels. Just put on a dalmatian rub (kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper) with a touch of onion powder.

Should be in the smoker for about 2 hours until it hits 140 internal. Pics to come.

Blog Entries

Re: Nosh and Quaff -- The Cooking & Booze Thread

I did a Citra Single Hop Pale Ale a few weeks ago. I have about 3/4 of a keg left of it. I actually think it is one of the best beers I've made to date.

Recipe:

Crushed Malted grains -
    7lbs Simpsons Golden
    5lbs Maris Otter
    0.5lbs of Honey Malt
    0.5lbs of Carapils (primarily for head retention)

Mashed at 153-155 degrees for an hour then did a batch sparge for about 30 more min.

Boil time was 60 min.
    1oz Citra hops at first boil
    1oz Citra at 45 min into the boil (15 min left)
    1tsp of Irish Moss at 45 min into the boil (Helps clarity)
    1oz Citra at flame out (i.e. Turn the flame off and you're done the boil)

Brought the temp down to 72 degrees and pitched my yeast, which was Pacific Ale yeast. This yeast provides a nice clean mouthfeel. Anyone that has ever had anything by Stone Brewing or Pliny knows what I'm talking about.

Fermented in primary for about 10 days then I dry hopped with 4 more ounces of Citra for another 10 days. Kegged it and force carbonated it for about a week while chilling it.

ABV is around 6%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

If anyone is ever down on the Eastern Shore, have to go check out Burley Oak in Berlin, Md. They do some awesome brews.

This is a pic of their "These Hops Ain't Loyal" series featuring Citra hops.

I really got to get starting making my own home brew. Looks like some much fun.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

When I was younger, I drank strictly beer...then in my 30s, I gravitated to the vino....now, in my 50s, I am dabbling with the mixed drinks. Some of my more recent experiments have been the Manhattan, Dark & Stormy, and the classics Gin and Tonic and Vodka Dry Martini.

What are your favorite cocktails and how do you make them?

Blog Entries

I can't offer much on the booze side but I do a lot of cooking. Mostly grill and stovetop stuff, not oven.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Nosh and Quaff -- The Cooking & Booze Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    When I was younger, I drank strictly beer...then in my 30s, I gravitated to the vino....now, in my 50s, I am dabbling with the mixed drinks. Some of my more recent experiments have been the Manhattan, Dark & Stormy, and the classics Gin and Tonic and Vodka Dry Martini.

What are your favorite cocktails and how do you make them?
    When it comes to hard booze, I typically will just pour a couple of fingers of bourbon or scotch and sip on that.

Truth be told, I really don't drink that much. One batch of homebrew will last me for a few months and that's roughly 5 gallons.

This is one of my fav bourbons. Love this stuff. Sweet front end, with a spicy finish. Slightly smokey. Good burn.

Last edited by wickedsolo; 07-23-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I really got to get starting making my own home brew. Looks like some much fun.
    I've found a lot of enjoyment with it. I like cooking anyway, so this is kind of an extension of that.

I've also found cost savings. I enjoy craft beer quite a bit, but a lot of the stuff out there is 10-20 bucks for a 6-pack, depending on what it is. You figure a case is going to run you around 40-50 bucks, depending on what it is.

I can make 5-gal (roughly 2 cases) of whatever I want for about 50-60 bucks of ingredients.

Blog Entries

Ate at Volt Restaurant last night (Bryan Voltaggio is a Frederick local and has been on Top Chef and Top Chef Masters).

It was really good. Expensive, but def worth it as a "celebration" type of spot.

Spring onion macaroon with foie gras mousse.

Braised lamb shoulder with chanterelles mushrooms, bulgur wheat, and pickled tongue.

Trying to post pics via Chrome but its not working. I'd like to get my pics from the tri-tip posted. Anyone else having issues?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ate at Volt Restaurant last night (Bryan Voltaggio is a Frederick local and has been on Top Chef and Top Chef Masters).
    my sister-in-law went there for a wine pairing dinner. Expensive but one of the better places in the area. One id certainly like to get to.

We did Morimotos in Philly and did the omakase (chefs choice). It was very good at the time but afterward im still trying to figure out if it was worth the $300 tab.

Im foody and heading to charleston this summer. Plan on trying to get into Husk, another high profile chef, Sean Brock. Hes into bourbon so i may have to splurge a little there too.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    my sister-in-law went there for a wine pairing dinner. Expensive but one of the better places in the area. One id certainly like to get to.

We did Morimotos in Philly and did the omakase (chefs choice). It was very good at the time but afterward im still trying to figure out if it was worth the $300 tab.

Im foody and heading to charleston this summer. Plan on trying to get into Husk, another high profile chef, Sean Brock. Hes into bourbon so i may have to splurge a little there too.
    I think a lot of the cost is the experience. That is a lot of money. The 6-courses with wine pairings was about $200 (before tip).

Again, places like that aren't an every week (or month) type of joint. You go there for special occasions with other folks that appreciate a fine dining experience.

Now, like you, I'm a foodie as well. Even though I can appreciate the fine dining experience, nothing is better than going to a dive joint that has killer burgers and an excellent beer line up.

If you like beer and are going to Charleston, check out Coast Brewing. http://www.coastbrewing.com/

I'm not a big fan of brown ales, but theirs was delicious. It's called Rye Not and is a Brown Rye Ale. It was really tasty. Their Blackbeerd Imperial Stout was also quite good.