Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

remember to keep this in mind

Fans, let's try and remember the following. Quoting Coach Billick, in referring to Steve McNair:

"I understand the fans' anxieties ... but this man has been an incredible athlete and an incredible force in the NFL," Billick said. "He's been a class act from Day One. I hope people keep that in mind in the way that they deal with him."

Re: remember to keep this in mind

Wise words and a timely reminder.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Wink Re: remember to keep this in mind

If Billick is referring to booing him, I agree with him. I don't like booing our players. McNair should be commended for being a gutsy & tough player throughout his career, including his injury-marred stint with the Ravens. And I have to commend Steve for his post-game statements this week, accepting the inevitable benching decision before the new phantom injury.

However, I'll reserve judgement on how "classy" he is until D-Day comes up on cutting him next year. Will he show class by gracefully retiring to mitigate the damage to our cap? Or just force the Ravens to cut him, screwing our ability to buy needed free agent help, and just keep all the $11 million bonus .....

:(
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Aww C'mon Ted...You know the NFL is a business first. Why would any shrude business person settle for less money? Bottom line is that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" and this means that the players are almost compelled to do what's best for their wallets and not for the teams, who look at them a peices of meat anyhow.

Wink Re: remember to keep this in mind

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Aww C'mon Ted...You know the NFL is a business first. Why would any shrude business person settle for less money? Bottom line is that the NFL stands for "Not For Long" and this means that the players are almost compelled to do what's best for their wallets and not for the teams, who look at them a peices of meat anyhow.
    If I were in his shoes, I'd forego the "classy" label and take the $$$$.

btw: No one put a gun to Ozzie's head when he offered up the $33 million!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I'm no Mcnair fan, but I can't blame him for being overpaid and keeping the money. Ozzie should have known the guy was done. The Titans sure knew it. Thank God Ozzie is only a GM and not a hostage negotiator. At least this way he can only be responsible for bad contracts and not dead bodies. The guy couldn't negotiate a one way street.

Honestly, the booing of McNair was a means to an end. I don't wish that on him, but the fans needed to voice that a change was desired. Needed.

Now that the change has been made, I thank McNair for what he did for this team for 2006, on the field and off. But like for all players, the end has to come, and his time is up.

its a shame that physically he fell apart so quickly. But with that style of play, what can you do.

Only thing about McNair is that I never heard he was a workout warrior. I didn't hear him at the gym tyring to lift and get ready. During the offseason, he was in Tennesse and not Baltimore. Maybe with the right vitamins and supplements, or something, he might have held up.

But its over now. Thanks for the memories, except the bad ones over his last 8 games or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Only thing about McNair is that I never heard he was a workout warrior
    Wasnt he locked out of the Titans gym FOR being a workout warrior? They feared he would work out too hard, get hurt and lose his trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If Billick is referring to booing him, I agree with him. I don't like booing our players. McNair should be commended for being a gutsy & tough player throughout his career, including his injury-marred stint with the Ravens. And I have to commend Steve for his post-game statements this week, accepting the inevitable benching decision before the new phantom injury.

However, I'll reserve judgement on how "classy" he is until D-Day comes up on cutting him next year. Will he show class by gracefully retiring to mitigate the damage to our cap? Or just force the Ravens to cut him, screwing our ability to buy needed free agent help, and just keep all the $11 million bonus .....

:(
    Doesn't Billick realize we weren't Booing McNair, but Billick, for keeping him in? McNair can't pull himself... what would any fan think if he did?... No, Billick was the target of the boos, the only way we could voice our displeasure with BB, since he was on the sidelines!:insane:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Fans, let's try and remember the following. Quoting Coach Billick, in referring to Steve McNair:

"I understand the fans' anxieties ... but this man has BEEN an incredible athlete and an incredible force in the NFL," Billick said. "He's been a class act from Day One. I hope people keep that in mind in the way that they deal with him."
    I highlighted the important word from his sentence!!

Should McNair be booed as he's being replaced in the game? No. But should he be booed when he fumbles the second time in the same game? Hell YES!!! It sends a message to everyone involved with the team, from the players to Bisciotti, that his play is unacceptable and he shouldn't be the starter.....

Do I admire his toughness? Yes. But look at it like this; If you owned a delivery company and he crashed a truck once a week, you'd fire his ass in a New York second!!! I don't care if he was the best driver for 10 years, it would be unacceptable to a rational human being for him to still be employed by you....does that make any sense?

If McNair isn't even dressing for the game, how and when would he get booed? Do you think if the big screen shows him on the sideline, that some will boo him? I would hope that this wouldn't even be an issue.

Do people seriously think that us booing is going to make anybody on the team feel worst than they already do? Not a chance. That's why I don't boo. It doesn't do anything positive to the game or the team. Did you not see the Bengal D-Lineman who was jumping around trying to get those fans to boo louder? Why is that? Because booing your home team helps the visitors confidence.

I completey respect your right to boo and will never tell anybody to stop. I just request that you truly think about how you think it helps the OUR team or OUR players.