Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Billick: Boller could possibly start remainder of season.

As if he felt like he had to respond to the inane ramblings of Mike Prestion, who seemed to openly call out Billick's faith in Kyle Boller, Billick today seemed open to the idea of Boller keeping the starting job even when McNair finally gets over his shoulder injury if he's playing well:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,5069312.story

Boller will start Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, and Billick said there is a possibility that Boller could remain the starter if he plays well.

"Sure, that's always a possibility," Billick said today after practice. "It has to with Steve's strength as well and how we're doing as a team. But yeah, there's always that possibility."
    So Kyle has the chance now to play for his job as the QB for this team going forward.

And I don't usually start these threads, but there has been an abundance of utter crap coming from Mike Preston this week, and his followers are slobbering it all up.

2. Re: Billick: Boller could possibly start remainder of season.

I am glad that it appears that barring an injury, the Boller debates will come to an end one way or another. Winning most of the games would be alot to ask, but we will see what he can do with a healthy line and decent recevers. I only hope that Billick opens the offense up to see what he can do...

Re: Billick: Boller could possibly start remainder of season.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    And I don't usually start these threads, but there has been an abundance of utter crap coming from Mike Preston this week, and his followers are slobbering it all up.
    Preston has followers? Sadly, I guess he does. I stopped reading Preston long ago -- I read him less than Tex.

Getting back to the point, the Ravens should start Boller for the rest of the season to see what he can do. It's still an open question, and it needs to be answered.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

All Ravens fans should hope that Boller plays well and proves himself a viable NFL starter, but I am betting some would rather he fail so they could say they told us so.

We know Boller hasn't played well in the past, we just have seen enough to know he can play well and hope the lightbulb finally stays on for him. He has also played very well at times.

Let's all just hope he comes out and proves QB is not a big hole to fill on the off-season, it would make things much brighter for us.

Blog Entries

Does anyone want to see Troy Smith? I, for one, think he should get his turn, as long as we're not "in" a game. Basically, see if he's worth a shit. I'd like to see how he does against a Stealers, Colts, or Pats "D", even if they are playing a 'prevent' in the 2nd half.....

If Boller plays horribly, I think you'll see Troy Smith at some point.

But right now the question mark is squarely on Kyle Boller. Aaron Wilson and David Steele's most recent articles seem to indicate that Boller's teammates have seen an improvement in his play, and seen some of McNair's calmness and such rub off on him.

Troy Smith will have to wait. Right now, it is time to see if Kyle Boller can be the leader of this team or not, once-and-for-all can he be our guy. If he can't, then I'm all for bringing on Troy Smith. But that can't be the focus right now.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan....

Troy Smith will have to wait. Right now, it is time to see if Kyle Boller can be the leader of this team or not, once-and-for-all can he be our guy. If he can't, then I'm all for bringing on Troy Smith. But that can't be the focus right now.
    What level of play would it take for Boller to be our guy? Are we looking to see a trent dilfer, dont lose this game type of play, or lights out quaterbacking? Because if they can put a string of wins together and play offense the way they did last year, as long as we win, id be happy with it. However I dont think it solves anything, we'd have fools gold at the qb position and be bitching about the same thing next season if this season is salvaged by a playoff appearance.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    What level of play would it take for Boller to be our guy? Are we looking to see a trent dilfer, dont lose this game type of play, or lights out quaterbacking? Because if they can put a string of wins together and play offense the way they did last year, as long as we win, id be happy with it. However I dont think it solves anything, we'd have fools gold at the qb position and be bitching about the same thing next season if this season is salvaged by a playoff appearance.
    I'd have to start seeing 2-3 TD's with at most 1 pick a game in order to see a measured improvement. What I'm afraid of is Billick giving the ball to McGahee more and we won't see if he has turned the corner so to speak...

Either way, I see the Ravens looking for a QB in the draft.....
    Last edited by 4G63; 11-15-2007 at 01:11 PM.

These things were said about the situation with Boller:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...1397204.column

And he has now had the advantage of veteran tutelage the past two seasons he was denied the previous three. Those around the team agree McNair's presence has speeded Boller's growth. And, Boller said, McNair's public support of him as his backup - even last Sunday, when McNair came out of that horrendous game against the Cincinnati Bengals and said he was comfortable with Boller replacing him - made a difference.

"It means a lot to me, because he doesn't have to say that," Boller said. "That's not something he has to say to you [media] guys or anybody. So having a relationship like that with a guy, that means we're together, and that's important. It's a healthy relationship, and it's good for our offense."
    Teammates swear they see McNair's calm in the face of crisis rubbing off on Boller, a welcome change from the frantic, rattled style he showed off so much before. Plus, it's painfully obvious that, physically, there are things Boller now does better than McNair.

Now, let's put that aside for a second. I have my reasons for hoping against hope that Boller works out for the Ravens finally. I won't lie and say I've been a fan or followed the team since 1996. I can't. In fact, when I was growing up the Colts rolled out and my father wasn't really a sports person. I had to learn to love sports on my own, so I followed the Baltimore Stars (remember the USFL?), and the Stallions. I had no ties to the NFL. No Redskin love, no Steeler love, none of that. If there was no Baltimore NFL team, I had no interest in the league.

I got on board in 1999 when the team went 8-8 and Billick came to town. I was so impressed with the improvement from 6-10 to 8-8 that I decided that it was time to get into the NFL, and get in hard. From there I followed the Ravens more than any sports team I ever followed including the Orioles. I started going to games individually until I could afford my PSL's. I bleed purple much more than Orange, believe me.

My point is this. I've watched Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Randall Cunningham, Jeff Blake, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Kordell Stewart, Anthony Wright, Steve McNair, and Troy Smith come into the system. Think about how many QB's we've had here since 1999. I want that to stop. I don't want to have to start the cycle yet again with another draft pick in 2008. I want someone to come in here and work out. I want Kyle Boller to become the QB we hoped he would be when we drafted him in 2003 so that we can use the draft to concentrate on other issues we are going to need even more; cornerbacks and pass rushers, maybe another deep-threat WR.

That's what it all boils down to. I just want the revolving door of quarterbacks to stop. It hasn't yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's what it all boils down to. I just want the revolving door of quarterbacks to stop. It hasn't yet.
    I don't think you're in luck......:grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG;
    I just want the revolving door of quarterbacks to stop. It hasn't yet.
    Well said, Stinger, and believe me, aside from the lunatic anti-Boller fringe we know so well, everyone wants the QB situation to be resolved. You are not alone.

And for the Troy Smith fans, what's the rush? I'm fine with getting him into a game in garbage time, but starting him this season doesn't seem to me to be a particularly good idea. It's not as if we're holding back a highly regarded QB -- he was a fifth round pick. I'd rather ease him into action rather than throw him out there as a starter.

Smith is not going anywhere anytime soon, so let's see what Boller can do with the rest of this season.