Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Boller in - McNair out minimum 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    It means as the backup he's going to get more snaps than he is right now. Instead of being the scout team QB, he will work with the second team in case he has to come into a game.

Basically it means he moves into Boller's role in practice. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Well, you may have not read the article, but Billick said... and I'm paraphrasing... You don't want to tip your hand, but there are some things you can do with a player like that!... Sounds more like he has plans to use him in games, not just practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Well, you may have not read the article, but Billick said... and I'm paraphrasing... You don't want to tip your hand, but there are some things you can do with a player like that!... Sounds more like he has plans to use him in games, not just practice!
    He's not coming in to play regular QB unless Boller gets hurt or just outright tanks. What Billick is saying is he might line up Smith in the backfield or something.

Wink Re: Boller in - McNair out minimum 2 weeks

Billick's staement on Smith has to have opponent DCs shaking in their boots!

Billick would be so obvious with his "trickery". Smith would line up as a flanker, possibly may receive a direct snap, then run a halfback option. The defenses would not have been fooled, and the best we could hope for would be an incompletion and avoiding atrophy of Smith's arm muscles.

Just like bringing in Clarence Moore in one of Billick's "tricky" goal line pass plays.:grbac:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Remember Billick's week is consumed with practice and game planning. When he's talking about Smith's increased role, he's talking about the increased role Smith will get in *practice* and in game planning sessions with the coaches.

Smith has raw talent but is not being primed to come in this year. Good lord willing in three weeks, Boller will be playing mediocre and McNair will be ready to come in and try not to be worse if Boller gets hurt.

I do not want to see Smith on the field this year, and I hope the coaches don't either.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

"You don't want to tip your hand, but there are some things that you could do with Troy in that capacity because of his abilities to run the ball and do some of those things," Billick said.

You really think this meant practice??????!!!!???

Why would he worry about tipping his hand to other teams that Troy will be getting more snaps in practice...

Come on, Think People.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Smith has raw talent but is not being primed to come in this year. Good lord willing in three weeks, Boller will be playing mediocre and McNair will be ready to come in and try not to be worse if Boller gets hurt..

Errrr, I am glad you aren't at least hoping for some success. You are hoping Boller plays mediocre?

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Errrr, I am glad you aren't at least hoping for some success. You are hoping Boller plays mediocre?

Surely festivus has made a mistake here.I want to see Boller light it up,
    bring life to the downfield passing game.You can always get a PI or Def' holding call.Or goodness forbid an actual completion.

We know what we have with Boller,and its a darn sight better than what we have seen with McNair.As sad as that is for me to say.

I prefer to remember McNair as a Titan,the QB he was then.Rather than the fading star he is now in purple & black.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Yes Stinger. I am hoping (reasonably likely) he plays mediocre, which is what we've seen from him in limited action this year. Better then mediocre would be a pleasant surprise. McNair played like complete garbage, so mediocre would be a nice improvement, and will mean winning games we've previously been losing.

Thinking "Boller will save us," or "replacing Billick will solve all our problems," just leads to disappointment and heartache.

Don't get me wrong. I hope (much less likely) Boller leads us to the Super Bowl, and I hope if the FO replaces Billick we get someone who will find a better offense for us. As I must have written here a thousand times this week, hope springs eternal.

I am in it for the long haul. We are 4-5. That's mediocre. It's not terrible, 1-8 or 2-7 is terrible.

The day will come when we are truly that bad. I'll still be here, not hysterical, just rooting for my team.

Your mileage may vary, as they say on other boards.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    I think he was being sarcastic, but didn't word it as well as he usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    Yes Stinger. I am hoping (reasonably likely) he plays mediocre, which is what we've seen from him in limited action this year. Better then mediocre would be a pleasant surprise.
    Good grief festivus, I just posted that I thought you were kidding, but you're serious? You are HOPING he plays mediocre?

Sheesh -- I'm depressed about the past two games too, but I haven't sunk into that dark hole where I'm reduced to simply hoping that we don't suck as bad as the last game.

Didn't mean to disappoint you Highwater.

I did try to clean it up a bit by demarcating hope in relation to how likely things are. "Hoping" he plays mediocre is just hoping he continues the decent form he's shown so far this year. Hoping he "lights it up" is another thing altogether.

I hope for both. The former is more likely then the latter, though they both will win more games then McNair did.
    Festivus

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    What does that last sentence mean? Is he planning on putting him in at some point?
    I think that Billick is saying we may see him in their at some point during a game lining up as QB, most likely in shotgun. That way the defense has to "worry" about him throwing or running. Kind of like Randle El was used in Pitt at times. They do this more in college than the NFL for obvious reasons.