Potential 2008 draft QB highlights thread, please add links

Last edited by ExiledRaven; 11-15-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Re: Potential 2008 draft QB highlights thread, please add links

ER these are my thoughts having watched admittedly only those clips and nothing else.

CBS stats tells me has a completion percentage of ~68% with 20 touchdowns and only three picks. Excellent numbers. As a footnote he has 8 rushing touchdowns, I say footnote, because I don't think he could get away with that stuff at the NFL level.

He has a high, fast delivery that bodes well for the NFL. On the other hand I do *not* like how he secures the ball when running or shifting in the pocket. Perhaps that is correctible.

I would have liked to see him looking downfield when pressured instead of running so often. That is probably also correctible, who knows.

Finally it does not appear to be much of a pro style offense.

I like the delivery, which is the most important thing. The way he runs is nice but I have mild concerns about the other things I wrote here.

On unrelated notes, the Ducks have (1) a BEAST of a defensive line, and (2) the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen in my life.

Excellent thread!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Right, it's a variation of the spread-option. Similar to Florida only Tebow is big physical runner whereas Dixon is more elusive fast and trying not to take hits. But a lot of components work the same as the patriot or indy offense...you just don't have QB reading to run, it might be run-pass, or run v. 5 yard dump pass in front of the QB. So in that instance if he looks downfield, the system encourages him to get 5 yards instead of trying to make time....plus all his good WRs are hurt now (Williams is decent but he's got bad-attitude TO hands...).

That said, I think he'll translate well to the NFL in terms of throwing motion and how quickly he gets his feet set.

Please post video links for other Candidates....I really want to see more film on some of the various Qbs people like

Blog Entries

Matt Ryan: This guy appears to have it all. High, compact delivery. Moves well in the pocket and is already playing in a pro style offense. Perhaps if we lose out? :)

Andre Woodson: Had trouble with the first video and the second didn't have much footage. . . Other material I found at YouTube didn't have much to watch, but I didn't spend much time looking.

Colt Brennan: I really had high hopes considering what I've read here. Nice accurate passes, looks comfortable in the pocket. But that funky sidearm motion. . . Not sure you could get away with that in the NFL.

Tim Tebow: Seems like he underthrew more then a couple of those receivers and did not hit them in stride. It's a small sample size, I know, but still, it's supposed to be a highlight reel. Plus he's a sophomore as you say. ;)

edit: found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRtcV66u_U for Woodson. Shows a few highlights, with that nice delivery. Appears to be able to get the ball out quickly and accurately. Looks good to me!
    Last edited by festivus; 11-14-2007 at 06:07 PM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Haven't got youtube links but have watched plenty and have my opinions, here's my thoughts on the QB class:

1st round:
    Lose out or close to (4-12 to 6-10 is where I think we end up, which would be a top 10 pick) that and these are the guys we're looking at:

Brian Brohm - Really not sure what's happening with him, he's still playing very good football and he's got a legit NFL arm and no real funky things going on with his mechanics to the best of my knowledge. Louisville have screwed the pooch in Steve Kragthorpe's first season, but last I checked you didn't expect your QB to play safety? Brohm's still playing very well, finding open receivers putting up numbers. Getting beat by Andre Woodson hasn't helped his stock, but in the end, what happens with Petrino in Atlanta determines what happens with him. If the Falcons are high and Petrino wants him, he goes high. If he passes on him for anyone but Darren McFadden I'd be very, very wary. To me, a college coach passing on his QB is something to make a big note of.

Andre Woodson - Toughest conference in America, longest streak of passes without an INT in NCAA history, pocket poise, picked apart some of the best D's in the nation this year without the best talent. He's got a funky motion, but it is still pretty compact and IMO, not an issue as he still releases the ball high. I really like this kid and I'd be happy if we chose to bring him in.

Matt Ryan - Compact motion, good arm, good poise, seems to be a good leader. But I'd be very interested to see how he'd cope in a town that actually cares about him and his team. Even when BC were on their big run the city of Boston didn't give a damn about the Eagles, having the pressure of turning around the hex on QBs in the Charm City would be something totally new for Ryan, not saying he wouldn't rise to it but I think it's something to consider that he'd now be the biggest focus of attention in town, not a side act. Even Woodson's a bigger deal in a basketball town than Ryan in Boston where the Eagles football team are about the fifth biggest team in town.

Late 1st to 4th(ish):

John David Booty - This isn't in order, I wouldn't be over-awed with us spending a first day pick on Booty and to be honest, he's ripe for a fall with USC's fall from grace this season. He's got a big arm but his technique is poor late in games, he depends too much on his arm and doesn't use his body to throw the ball when he gets tired. He claimed to have worked hard on it this off-season just gone, but with an injury hit season, he's got no evidence to back that up right now. Combined with the Trojans going run heavy and the emergence of Mark Sanchez, he could drift to day two IMO.

Chad Henne - One of two I'll discuss here who have a great chance of being better pro QBs than college QBs, and for a four year starter at a big time school like Michigan, that's saying something for Henne. Big Ten title his freshman year, but it's not really unfolded great from there. He has a live arm, sound technique and has experience of managing games which is more of what you'll be asked to do in the NFL than winging it in College. A solid comeback win like that one against Michigan State can only help.

Erik Ainge - Another strong armed QB who has flattered to deceive in college from his rep coming in. He's a leader, he's got an NFL arm etc. Plenty to say he can be groomed to be a decent NFL QB. Unfortunately, he doesn't look like he's ready to go and a year behind Boller may not be good enough IMO.

Colt Brennan - Intriguing prospect. All the intangibles, good arm in spite of a funky throwing motion, comeback from a lot to put together an excellent college career. That throwing motion though, that offence, the level of opposition? I think he'll need a couple of years to get up to speed in the NFL, we don't have the QB for that length of time in my opinion. Boller's only on a single season contract and he's not gonna sign back if it's clear he's only grooming another QB. An intriguing prospect, but not the guy for us in my opinion. His draft stock rests on these last three or four games of his college career IMO. Beat Nevada, beat Boise State, beat Washington, play well in a BCS bowl game and he could go late 1st, lose a couple along the way and I think he slides to day two (seeing as 3rd round is now day 2, seems weird) with the questions over what he's actually proven.

Dennis Dixon - The one everyone seems to want to take a chance on this year. A national title and who knows, Prince Dennis (my term, very proud of that one ;) could become the next King Vince and fly up the draft boards as everyone drools all over his intangibles and ability to win football games and ignores the rigidness of scouting, ignoring his funky throwing motion, ignoring his total non-pro style etc. and taking a chance on the upside and run pass option etc. As a mid round pick I'd be willing to take the chance, but I really don't think he's worth a first round pick. Vince Young is one of my favourite QBs in the league, but with his leg injury taking away his running, it's being proven he can't beat teams passing, that question will come up with Dixon as well IMO.

Projects:

As a previso I'd like to point out that in my opinion (shamelessly stolen/adapted from a British friend but I fully agree) you should draft a day 2 quarterback project EVERY SEASON, you have your two established guys on the roster as your 1 and 2, then your #3 is your best project (for this example Troy Smith). You then have another project on your practice squad (our example would have been Olsen). Add to those four you draft a project on day 2 and have a three way competition for one spot on your roster as the #3, with the runner up going on the PS unless someone else pinches him before he clears waivers. You then repeat this year on year and you have a constant supply of your best project either progressing or being replaced by a better project. It is here in my opinion that we have totally handicapped our quarterback situation, by carrying only two QBs at times and not committing to develop a project quarterback.

And without further ado, the candidates:

Joe Flacco - As close to the epitome of a project as you can possibly get, huge arm, starting experience in college, seems to be able to make all the throws, you've just gotta give him the chance and opportunity to develop with your coaches and getting his feet wet at NFL speed etc.

Josh Johnson - Massive arm, great athlete, had some excellent coaching from Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego his junior (and sophomore?) season(s), he could be this year's Tarvaris Jackson and balloon up draft boards as scouts and teams fawn all over his measurables. If he stays a day two guy that you can give more time to develop, he's a great project pick.

T.C. Ostrander - Until injury, he was ahead of Trent Edwards (who I wanted to pick up with a high 2nd rounder this year) on the Stanford depth chart. He's waited his chance and whilst he hasn't set the PAC 10 alight through the air, he has got that big win against USC to his credit.

Paul Smith - A personal favourite of mine this year. Run the Tulsa system superbly this season including a pretty good performance against the Sooners. Will need time getting into a pro system, but if you give him that time, he's got the arm, he's smart and he's got some mobility. It's not a pro system he's running in Tulsa, but running a hurry up spread offence and running it as well as he has, is not easy, I think he can grasp an NFL playbook.

Just a brief perouse, hope you've all made it to the end.

Matt Ryan is by far the best QB in this years draft, I would bet if anyone outside Boston can name a single receiver playing for BC. Dennis Dixon is overrated and a one year wonder, he will be another horrible passer who can run a bit in NFL. Look at Vince Young, I would rather have a guy like Woodson or Brennon, who can pass efficiently.

PS: Is there any way we can get Tebow this year?
    Steve McNair has made a huge difference in the Ravens choking this season. Make no mistake about it. He finds a way to choke in the clutch. He has singlehandedly killed the Ravens season as I knew he would. All we needed was a real QB an he's not it. Damn you Steve for becoming a Raven and proving me right! Thanks for nothing Ozzie for getting him!!

I've been floating around checking out the mock circuit....seems the Ravens are drafting in the 8-14 range with most mocks that are not based on last year's record.

#1 Potential horror scenarios. Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, and Falcons all end up worse than the Ravens. Between those four teams, Brohm, Woodson, and Ryan are all gone by the time the 8th pick rolls around. Top D prospect is either gone to the Pats or the Pats take one of those 4 teams to the cleaners as they jockey for a QB. BAD BAD BAD. In these cases, the only solice is that the Ravens have shots at one of Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Long. Second round is there and the team might have to settle for Ainge, Brennan, Dixon, Henne, et al.

#2 Ravens pick around 8-14 and take the 3rd QB in the draft, Andre Woodson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tex_fan View Post
    Matt Ryan is by far the best QB in this years draft, I would bet if anyone outside Boston can name a single receiver playing for BC. Dennis Dixon is overrated and a one year wonder, he will be another horrible passer who can run a bit in NFL. Look at Vince Young, I would rather have a guy like Woodson or Brennon, who can pass efficiently.

Actually. Dixon BLOWS AWAY Young in the throwing dept. He hits receivers in stride and has a good touch for the underneath/short passes. Plus, he can probably spell "Wonderlic"......

This video is short and sweet and shows the kind of teammate/leader he is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3genj5YFYKs

Watch this fake at the 32 second mark of this video and tell me he doesn't have the skill and quickness for the NFL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9cZwClh3bg

Hell, I'd take this guy, Jonathan Stewart, if we could get him:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFl1El1gmhA

Talk about a 1-2 punch!.....

Quote Originally Posted by tex_fan View Post

In a word, no.

In a lot of words, absolutely positively definitely not.

Tebow is a true soph.

He is inelegible for the draft this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Tebow is a true soph.

He is inelegible for the draft this year.
    :grbac: I wish he was.......