Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Art Modell Chant

I kind of think maybe people are going about this all wrong.
    A couple of weeks ago they had a dinner honoring Mr. Modell. It was supposed to start a "campaign" to get him in the hall. They charged $150 a plate. Cha! How many regular fans are going to be interested in that? That kind of stuff turns me off immediately. You don't need money you need publicity. Why didn't they throw a bullroast for $35 that would have drawn a couple thousand folks? Why didn't they make an anouncement at the Ravens game starting an email campaign? It was very good that they honored Mr. Modell, I just don't think the campaign is going to work.

As far as a chant at the stadium goes, ten times more people would be more interested in yelling "Billick Sucks!" rather than "Art in the Hall".
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Wink Re: Art Modell Chant

Just to be totally honest here: I can't get excited about this issue. Sure, it would be nice to happen, and I really appreciate Art moving the team here after he couldn't get his new stadium in Cleveland, but what Art did to deserve HOF consideration was as the owner of the Browns. I don't see it as being much different than HOF consideration for Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, or Steve McNair. They all contributed to the Ravens, but none of them deserve HOF consideration as a member of the Ravens organization.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Art Modell (w/ Lerner in his ear) voted against Baltimore expansion. He did not care about Baltimore but himself keeping Baltimore in his back pocket in case things fell through in Cleveland. IF things did not fall through in Cleveland we would not be on this board right now. I agree w/ T that Modell did in fact do some great things for the League during his tenure in Cleve.
    BUT as far as a Baltimore goes he used us as a chip in his pocket to cash in if need be and then used us to get financially healthy. Modell vote basically stated that it was better for the league to have a franchise in Jax rather than Baltimore (which hasn't turned out too well for the league) and then turns around and moves here (when he had little choice) saying what a great city it is, what great football history, great football town, etc.

My God ... can there be more inaccuracies in these posts?

SHORTTRACK, please go find ESPN's show on Art and him leaving Cleveland. ESPN is NO fan of anything Baltimore but they did a very fair and honest assesment of the situation.

I believe the show was called "Top 5 Reason You Cant Blame Art Modell"

I saw the ESPN piece and have read several books on the topic.
    Modell did not vote for Baltimore in expansion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

SHORTTRACK is on, a number of owners voted against Baltimore BECAUSE we had such a sweet deal. Fact is, they didn't think a new owner should get that deal. SOMEBODY was going to move here, Art jumped first. Mainly because he was the most desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    I saw the ESPN piece and have read several books on the topic.
    Modell did not vote for Baltimore in expansion.
    OK, so he didn't vote for us to get an Expansion team. There are also 28 or so other owners at that time who didn't vote for Baltimore. They were all wrong. This one thing doesn't diminish the 30 some years of good things he did for the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    SHORTTRACK is on, a number of owners voted against Baltimore BECAUSE we had such a sweet deal. Fact is, they didn't think a new owner should get that deal. SOMEBODY was going to move here, Art jumped first. Mainly because he was the most desperate.
    I dont deny Modell was desperate. I think thats well established fact. It's the "why he was desperate" I take issue with. People think he had a choice on which city (he didnt) and everyone seems to forget the handcuffing the city of Cleveland was giving him.

He had a choice to make -- stay in Cleveland and lose money hand over fist or take the first deal that came along (that gave him the monetary benefits of a new stadium). He picked us, rightfully so for both his business sake and personal financial sake.

Modell is a shrewed businessman, as any good owner ought to be. He also showed class by leaving the stats and team name behind -- something, at the time, many owners didnt understand.

Modell in the Hall isn't something Baltimore should lose sleep over. He came for the MONEY!......Nothing else

If he goes into the HOF it would be for all the contributions he gave while he was with the Browns. Do I think he should be in, Yes, but Its not Baltimore's fight. To me seeing art in the Hall is like seeing Earnest Byner in the ring of fame or whatever they call it.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

His contributions to televising the NFL should get him in on that fact alone
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens