I attended an active shooter training class yesterday. I signed up for it in response to Orlando, as I have never had any formal training on how to deal with active shootings.

One of my instructors is a former FBI Firearms instructor who said he has contacts with the Orlando PD. He was saying the initial police response was dreadful and the first three officers were firing blind into and across the club's dance floor. The disco-type lighting was compounding the problem. They'd hear someone firing, move to that side of the club, fire off a bunch of rounds themselves, etc and all the while, people were scrambling from one side of the club to the other, thanks to all of the first floor fire exits were dead-bolted by the owners. Apparently, they had a hard time keeping minors and drugs out of the club.

So think about that. Blind officers can't see their targets, can barely hear anything over the music, firing blind into a crowd that's running back and forth in front of them as they fired. It's his belief that once the dust settles and we know the facts, he wouldn't be surprised if over a dozen or so bar patrons were actually killed by law enforcement and not the active shooter.