Hope as a Ravens fan

It's pretty easy once you come to terms with the idea that the Ravens will not be in the playoffs this year. Once I got to that point at about 6:20 last night I felt a great sense of relief. I would channel my hope as a fan to different ends instead of a super bowl. These are the ends for which I now feel hope:

1. Upset victory at home against either the Patriots, Colts or Steelers. I can now just let it go and not worry so much about losing but focus entirely on an upset win. Those are great homes game with great opportunities to play the role of a spoiler. If the Ravens lose, no problem, I have already felt the deepest depths of hell as a Ravens fans this year. I can't go deeper.

2. I hope for a great offensive line for years to come, there is some great young talent. From here a new offensive coordinator can begin to put together a strong and dynamic offense in the years to come.

3. Defensive Backs. These guys are getting some playing time and we should be able to find at least one guy to keep our strong tradition there after Rolle and McAllister are gone. With our young linebackers and defensive line, the Ravens should continue with a strong defense.

4. I hope for a change in coaching. Either Billick goes OR a new offensive coordinator comes in with a completley...completely, I say...new offense. I hope to see that starting next year...finally.

5. With the new offensive coordinator, I hope for a new quarterback from the draft. I believe Kyle can help bring this new quarterback along for a year or two. The offseason should be intersting to follow for this end.

We have some great teams coming to Baltimore for the remainder of the season and now that I know this is not a playoff season, I can free up all those negative, toxic emotions I have felt since the preseason and just hope for a great upset. Let it go...change is in the wind.

Re: Hope as a Ravens fan

At least you found a way to watch Ravens play football. The offense just makes my eyes bleed to much.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Im hoping I can win my fantasy leagues.

That would be a nice amount of cash right around Xmas time.

I too feel a sense of relief in a weird way.

Im thinking about it this way. Id rather have it happen this way then be alive for the playoffs in week 17 and losing to the Steelers to barely miss the playoffs.

I've never really had that sort of view before but I just have to this season. The disappointment is so enormous that dwelling on it is flat out depressing.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 11-12-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    At least you found a way to watch Ravens play football. The offense just makes my eyes bleed to much.
    What's really the choice? I mean how much more can we complain about coaching, quarterbacking, etc.? The frustration comes from unmet expectations. Its clear now that preseason expectations were wrong. AS football fans and Ravens fans, why throw the remainder of the season away? Its time to get over the anger from the unmet expectations, recreate new expectations and find a way to enjoy the last half.

Isn't that the truth.

For the most part, I was very impressed with the second-third string secondary. Yes, they got abused off and on, but the defense kept the Bengals out of the end zone on some short fields.

It's always a good sign when a CB can come back the next week and play a solid game. These younger guys might work out well provided the front 7 can keep getting great pressure.

Ravens #1 biggest problem is that we can't generate constant pressure with the front 3 + whichever olb or mlb comes in. Team tinkers around and figures out who can do that and the defense is back to being rock solid.

Be interesting to see if the 5 page playbook goes out the window and the team really starts playing to win. Mike Martz might be completely insane, but he does have one thing right....you can't play offense scared.