Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Around the League News

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's kind of strange that the Cardinals didn't bring back Freeney. He was really good for them down the stretch last year. Why give that up?

Players his age seem to always get overlooked or left hanging.Unless he asking for too much for teams liking it must be age.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post

Blog Entries

sounds like another guy being pushed out by ESPN. They said he's retiring, he says he is not. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/l...154837631.html

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    sounds like another guy being pushed out by ESPN. They said he's retiring, he says he is not. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/l...154837631.html
    I didn't totally believe the retirement story, ESPN is making big changes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I didn't totally believe the retirement story, ESPN is making big changes.
    ESPN has to make big changes because the status quo isn't working. For decades they've gotten the highest payment per subscriber on Cable but Cable isn't growing. Those who cut the cord aren't paying for ESPN like Netflix or HBO.

ESPN is becoming a drag on Disney. Their box office has been huge this year and the parks are growing. Even ABC has been okay. ESPN though has not grown with the rest. That's a big problem. Somehow they need to put some must watch quality back into that network and staying with the same old stuff isn't going to do it.

Blog Entries

ESPN has to make big changes because the status quo isn't working. For decades they've gotten the highest payment per subscriber on Cable but Cable isn't growing. Those who cut the cord aren't paying for ESPN like Netflix or HBO.

ESPN is becoming a drag on Disney. Their box office has been huge this year and the parks are growing. Even ABC has been okay. ESPN though has not grown with the rest. That's a big problem. Somehow they need to put some must watch quality back into that network and staying with the same old stuff isn't going to do it.
    http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...lerates-052816

According to 2016 Nielsen data ESPN lost over 1.5 million subscribers from February to the end of May this year. That drops ESPN to 89,465,000 subscriber homes, a precipitous decline from the network's total number of 2013 subscribers which was over 99 million. Based on these numbers over the past four months ESPN lost an average of 10,400 subscribers a day.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I don't know if it is salary purge, rebranding of Disney, or a combination of both, but losing Tirico is going to hurt them

Article from May 2012 with some ESPN salaries
    http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=ht...ople-in-sports
    Berman $3 mil/yr
    Rick Reilly $3.4mil/yr
    John Gruden $4.3mil/yr - AFAIK highest paid ESPN

Former ESPN
    Jim Rome is making 30mil/yr with CBS
    Dan Patrick $5mil/yr NBC
    Mike Tirico left $3mil at ESPN for ? NBC
    http://www.totalsportek.com/money/hi...-commentators/
    Bob Costas $5.5mil/yr NBC
    Jim Nantz $5mil/yr CBS
    Al Michaels $5mil/yr NBC (left ABC)

NFL Insiders
    How many of these ESPN can you stand to listen to for any amount of time?
    Personalities
    Suzy Kolber
    Wendi Nix
    Jade McCarthy
    Adam Schefter
    Chris Mortensen
    Matthew Berry
    Bill Polian
    Trey Wingo (Sunday host, 2015–present)
    Contributors
    Regular contributors include:[1][3][4][5]
    John Clayton - ESPN.com senior writer
    Ed Werder - NFL insider
    Mel Kiper Jr. - NFL Draft expert
    Todd McShay - NFL Draft expert
    Jarrett Bell - USA Today Sports NFL columnist
    Adam Caplan - Sirius/XM Radio host
    Billy Devaney - former St. Louis Rams general manager
    Ashley Fox - ESPN.com senior NFL writer
    Dan Graziano - ESPN NFC East writer
    Louis Riddick - former NFL scout and director of player personnel
    Phil Savage - former Cleveland Browns general manager
    Field Yates - ESPN Fantasy Insider
    Mark Dominik - former Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager
    Jim Trotter - ESPN.com senior NFL writer
    Andrew Brandt - NFL business analyst
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Insiders

C'mon man segment makes me want to puke. I mute or change channels because it is pure drek the way they present it
    you are right about needing quality ...
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

espn cutting folks like flies, it's about time, they need to bring back credibility to their shows, people don't want to see steven A smith and skip bayless talk shit, people don't want to see bullshit or homerism for one team by people who supposedly are unbiased analyst, no one wants to see tony cornhole and big ass head micheal whatever his name is...they need to start fresh and get back to what made them successful. New faces, new approach, lets get back to talking sports, unbiased sports.

Yup. Pretty much dead on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...428-story.html

Some mid-media cat (wish I could remember his name) foretold this happening to ESPN 2-3 years ago, and the community dismissed the notion.

ESPN filled a great void back in the day, and its personalities/broadcasting teams became broadcast icons. Eventually, they got paid as such. These days content is king, so that's what you (i.e., the business) pay for. Dynamic, exciting, funny personalities aren't worth it. No one tunes in for them anyone, so there's no sense in paying up to acquire or retain them.

PwC had this to say in a Oct 2015 report...

...initiatives involving a la carte and streaming media are allowing consumers to purchase specific content (i.e. media rights for a single game or season package for a specific team), watch games in a condensed format shortly after completion, and watch replays on league platforms before they are available through general media.

Segment fundamentals and base rights fees should remain strong given the popularity of sports programming with consumers and advertisers (e.g. strong broadcast ratings). However, as consumer and advertisers continue to migrate towards Internet-connected devices and "second-screen" activity, it is more likely the tradition pay-TV model will have transformed (e.g. smaller channel packages, reduced rates) by the next deal cycle of major sports property rights. As a result, the next deal cycle, currently outside the outlook period [through 2019], is unlikely to realize the same rights fee premiums as were applied during the current cycle as cable providers sought to secure sports content in support of the overall pay-TV package model.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post

NFL Insiders
    How many of these ESPN can you stand to listen to for any amount of time?

Personalities
    Suzy Kolber
    Wendi Nix
    Jade McCarthy
    Adam Schefter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Insiders

I can't lie. When it comes to Suzy Kolber, I got quite a bit of Joe Namath in me.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    espn cutting folks like flies, it's about time, they need to bring back credibility to their shows, people don't want to see steven A smith and skip bayless talk shit, people don't want to see bullshit or homerism for one team by people who supposedly are unbiased analyst, no one wants to see tony cornhole and big ass head micheal whatever his name is...they need to start fresh and get back to what made them successful. New faces, new approach, lets get back to talking sports, unbiased sports.
    If Steven A was on, I changed channel, reminded me too much of Howard Cosell's arrogance, never watched Bayless, if Oberman was a talker I found something else.
    Michael Wilbon I do respect for NBA opinions, but then again I don't watch the National Boring Association, so it is a moot point, his opinions on other sports are nothing special

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I can't lie. When it comes to Suzy Kolber, I got quite a bit of Joe Namath in me.
    Yeah but you are watching, not listening