Drastic Times Call for Drastic Measures

Okay, so the season is flickering before our eyes. The playoffs can only be seen with a high powered telescope. Your offense sucks beyond compare. Your fans are openly revolting. What am I, as the coach sitting in the frying pan, going to do?

Well, I'll tell you.

Have fun.

No, seriously. When the guys come back on Wednesday, expecting to hear the same old same old, Billick should tell them "Men, the season has taken a turn for the surreal. If ever there were a time for us to show what we can do, it is now".

And then he should present a game plan to the offense that flies in the face of conventional wisdom. "Of course, Kyle is starting. But Kyle is going to throw deep on the first play, and no less than 7 times per HALF. And because that will cause the Clowns to rush the passer more, Willis is going to catch no less than 6 screen passes and run no fewer than 3 draws per half.

There will be two or three reverses, a flea flicker and a fake punt if we get past midfield and need to punt. Screw that net 25 gain of field position.

There will be pitchouts and shovel passes. There will be counter and misdirection running plays. There will be pump fakes. And there will be a halfback option..maybe two of them.

We are going to run 4 wide. We are going to run overloads and two-back formations.

Bottom line, we are going to air it out. We are going for broke. We are going to have some fun. And if we win, great. If we lose, well, at least we had one hell of a good time trying. And my guess is that the crowd will understand."

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Re: Drastic Times Call for Drastic Measures

I agree. Most importantly, its important that Billick makes this offense explosive, and that starts with giving the young gun, Kyle, a chance.

However, you look at what Boller's done the games he's been in, and its also clear that playcalling isn't the only problem. Part of it is a QB who's over the hill and has no zip on his throws.

I think giving the reigns to Boller, if it happens, will produce a change. If we open it up on top of that, even better.

Wink Re: Drastic Times Call for Drastic Measures

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    "Of course, Kyle is starting. But Kyle is going to throw deep on the first play, and no less than 7 times per HALF. And because that will cause the Clowns to rush the passer more, Willis is going to catch no less than 6 screen passes and run no fewer than 3 draws per half.

There will be two or three reverses, a flea flicker and a fake punt if we get past midfield and need to punt. Screw that net 25 gain of field position.

There will be pitchouts and shovel passes. There will be counter and misdirection running plays. There will be pump fakes. And there will be a halfback option..maybe two of them.
    Way to go, CY. I got pumped up just reading that!

Seriously, while I'm not in agreement with the flea-flickers and multiple reverses, I do agree that airing it out is our only chance to turn this season around. The mid-range and long passes would help the running game. We have quality receivers and RBs, and Boller does have the arm and hopefully has matured.

It's also 4th & long for Billick's career on the NFL sidelines. No one would pick him up after this fiasco. If he is interested in survival, maybe he'll do some of what you suggest. Slim chance that the above happens, but there's always hope.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

What have we to lose,open it up,open up some eyes.

Lets get some electricity flowing out on that field with the offense.

Lets look like a pro football offense in the 21st century for once.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I can buy into that. No point in laying up - might as well go for the green! If we're going to lose, might as well go down swinging. Who knows, we might even win a game or two.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

I love your thinking and agree our best chance is to air it out and try to play offense without fear. Our D are good enough to keep us in the game and the ONLY way we'll provide a threat is by throwing caution to the wind. We're frankly not good enough to run an effective "ball control offense".

I do, however, have a bad feeling that we're going to see the same old shit, different day.

Either way, I intend to have fun this Sunday. Provided Camdenyard doesn't break any more of my fingers. Maybe we could put you in at QB?

If you broke a finger catching one of my McNair Rainbows, well that's just sad.

Perhaps I should have Brady throw to you (not Tom Brady)!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Camden, what you've just described there is a NFL offence, that has no place in Baltimore, what are you thinking? :D

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Camden, what you've just described there is a NFL offence, that has no place in Baltimore, what are you thinking? :D
    Remember my thread...I was called negative and I believe you called me a chicken little. Wow, it seems you may be coming around. Europeans have always been a bit slow
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

There is no way to save this season Per Se, but if what you described in this Thread opener were to happen, The entire future of the organization would have been turned around in "this season". Now that I could live with, and be eternally grateful!!!!:hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Remember my thread...I was called negative and I believe you called me a chicken little. Wow, it seems you may be coming around. Europeans have always been a bit slow
    That right there is commonly known as sarcasm in these parts.