Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Break-out Players: Pre-Training Camp Edition

It happens every year. Players take a big step forward to become major contributors (Kamar Aiken, come on down!) or stars in their own right. Some of them are easier to predict, some of them blindside us.

I know it's way early for this thread, but who do you think are the veteran players AND the rookies who'll break out in 2016-17 and surprise us? Give a predicted stat line also.

We'll see how things change after training camp, and come back to this thread after season's end.

I'll start:

Veteran: Brent Urban: 8 sacks, 15 TFL, 18 passes batted down at the line, 1 blocked kick ;)

Rookie: Tavon Young: 42 tackles, 10 PD, 4 INT (including one pick six), 2 sacks.

Happy Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Break-out Players: Pre-Training Camp Edition

Veteran: Mike Wallace. "Geeze GWNR you've had a boner for Wallace this whole time, why is that?" Well, you see concerned RSR member and friend I see Wallace as the perfect fit for Baltimore's offence. He can do Jacoby Jones role, but way better than Jacoby can. He has better hadns and tracks the ball better than Jacoby. He also adds the speed element we lacked. With or without Perriman he will be used and I think Trestman knows exactly what to do. from what I've seen he has two concerns:
    1) His hands: this one I can't quite figure out. His drop rate doesn't suggest he has bad hands over his career. But there's limitations to that so I tried to watch some old games over the last few weeks and, though he for sure has had some drops, I dont think it's as big of an issue as some folks are making it out to be. It isn't Jacoby Jones/Lee Evans/Torrey in his last year here bad.
    2) His production: In Miami he had solid #2 production. Last year was where his production dropped. I asked a buddy who is a Vikings fan and he just simply said he didn't fit the offence. He wanted to fly dwon field and that wasn't what they wanted to do with him. So then his play time got cut and his production got cut.

Conclusion: he's going to add speed and though he's not going to put up 1000+ yards or 10+ TD's he will strethc the field and catch the deep ball when it goes to him. And stretching the field will help out the entire offence, especially if perriman is good to go. The TE's will work the middle of the field like a mo'fucka.

Stat Prediction: 60 catches, 850 yards, 7 TD's

Rookie: Bronson Kaufasi. He's in a great situation for a 3rd round player. Urban is the "day 1 TC starter" given he has more experience, but he's not a lock to start by any means. Kaufasi projects very well for the 3-4 DE spot. He's big and long and he can move. After watching him I think his biggest issue was he would get washed away by guards coming down the line. Definitely an issue, but in passing situations he was a baller and that's where he can excel here.

Conclusion: Will become the starting 5 tech DE / DT in 4 man line.

Stat prediction: 6 sacks, 46 tackles, 1 FF
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Veteran: Zach Orr: 130 tackles, 9 TFL, 1 FF, 4 passes deflected.

Rookie: Chris Moore: 35 receptions, 540 yards, 5 TDS

Bonus: Breshad Perriman: 70 receptions, 820 yards, 8 TDS
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

Good stuff Great, I nominate Kaufusi as my break out player, something about this kid so far just look like he is all about the business, his interviews, his demeanor, you can see the "it" factor in him. Maybe I am drinking some kool aid, but I felt the same way about Ray Rice and Joe Flacco when we drafted them, so I will go with my gut. This kid has special written all over him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post

I would do back flips if Chris Moore and Perriman put on that kind of show.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Veteran: Mike Wallace. "Geeze GWNR you've had a boner for Wallace this whole time, why is that?" Well, you see concerned RSR member and friend I see Wallace as the perfect fit for Baltimore's offence. He can do Jacoby Jones role, but way better than Jacoby can. He has better hadns and tracks the ball better than Jacoby. He also adds the speed element we lacked. With or without Perriman he will be used and I think Trestman knows exactly what to do. from what I've seen he has two concerns:
    1) His hands: this one I can't quite figure out. His drop rate doesn't suggest he has bad hands over his career. But there's limitations to that so I tried to watch some old games over the last few weeks and, though he for sure has had some drops, I dont think it's as big of an issue as some folks are making it out to be. It isn't Jacoby Jones/Lee Evans/Torrey in his last year here bad.
    2) His production: In Miami he had solid #2 production. Last year was where his production dropped. I asked a buddy who is a Vikings fan and he just simply said he didn't fit the offence. He wanted to fly dwon field and that wasn't what they wanted to do with him. So then his play time got cut and his production got cut.

Conclusion: he's going to add speed and though he's not going to put up 1000+ yards or 10+ TD's he will strethc the field and catch the deep ball when it goes to him. And stretching the field will help out the entire offence, especially if perriman is good to go. The TE's will work the middle of the field like a mo'fucka.

Stat Prediction: 60 catches, 850 yards, 7 TD's

Rookie: Bronson Kaufasi. He's in a great situation for a 3rd round player. Urban is the "day 1 TC starter" given he has more experience, but he's not a lock to start by any means. Kaufasi projects very well for the 3-4 DE spot. He's big and long and he can move. After watching him I think his biggest issue was he would get washed away by guards coming down the line. Definitely an issue, but in passing situations he was a baller and that's where he can excel here.

Conclusion: Will become the starting 5 tech DE / DT in 4 man line.

Stat prediction: 6 sacks, 46 tackles, 1 FF
    Damn GWNR, great predictions and stellar analysis. I think you're right on the money regarding Wallace. He'll fit in our tradition of veteran receivers being rejuvenated (Mason, SSR, Boldin - I'm gonna ignore Lee Evans and a whole bunch lol). I like that you went offense. I was thinking of going with Maxx Williams for my Veteran.

Kaufusi is looking like a popular rookie pick too. Damn I wish I'd posted more analysis for my picks, but I made this thread while sitting in traffic on Tapatalk lol.

Orr is a great pick that makes a lot of sense. What an ascent to the top it will have been for that guy! And if Moore and Perriman are going off like that, it'll definitely open things up for the TEs and RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I would do back flips if Chris Moore and Perriman put on that kind of show.
    That would be a fun offense to watch, for a change!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Orr is a great pick that makes a lot of sense. What an ascent to the top it will have been for that guy! And if Moore and Perriman are going off like that, it'll definitely open things up for the TEs and RBs.
    you imagine the kind of offense we could have if both those guys turnout to be what Fury just mention? that'snot even taking into consideration, Wallace, Camp (if he's healthy), and the TE's and Rb's?? This could be one nasty offense in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    you imagine the kind of offense we could have if both those guys turnout to be what Fury just mention? that'snot even taking into consideration, Wallace, Camp (if he's healthy), and the TE's and Rb's?? This could be one nasty offense in the making.
    It really could. The potential is there. We have the QB needed, we have a strong unit on the line and we have a competent OC.

All the tools are there but obviously it's all about execution.

As much as they could ball out and become a great unit they could also have injury problems and fall apart.

I am so excited for the potential though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    It really could. The potential is there. We have the QB needed, we have a strong unit on the line and we have a competent OC.

All the tools are there but obviously it's all about execution.

As much as they could ball out and become a great unit they could also have injury problems and fall apart.

I am so excited for the potential though.
    I love the potential man, it's there if a couple of these young guys pan out.

If Perriman somehow ends up with 70 catches, there's no way he's under 1000 yards. 820 yards would put him under 12 ypc...that's less than Aiken. We need Perriman and Wallace to be around 17+, which is where Torrey was.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill