Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: And with the 19th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select...

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    So Ozzie and Co. should have waited a year to load-up on pass rushers in 2017?
    AND with Gilmore and Maxx Wms, we should grab another TE in the 1st round?
    Ghost, please reply to my response so I can add a third ... Bc
    I should probably elaborate on my point a bit better:
    This year's draft class just so happened to allow the Ravens' to load up on pass rushers both through the draft and through UDFA. Are we really going to give and judge this draft class's ability off a single year? No. But having that type of depth and competition allows the Ravens' to approach next year's draft very differently. The fact is: the Ravens could potentially enter the season with Suggs, Dumervil, Correa, Z. Smith, Judon, and Ochi all listed in some order at OLB on the depth chart. That's 6 deep. Obviously there's some projection going on there. That's not including the talent they've drafted over the last several years up front.
    Pass Rusher was an obvious need for the Ravens and everyone knows this, and being able to load up at the position due to the value that was present gave the Ravens a lot of flexibility with 2017 in mind.
    It would be completely different let's say if the Ravens only took Correa in the draft and signed Ochi as an UDFA.
    The reality is this could be closer to the end for Suggs/Doom than it is that they are peaking. This could very well be that combination's last year in Baltimore together.

2017 if you're scouting you know is strong on 3 positions: EDGE/RB/DB. It's just what it is. It's exceptionally top heavy with EDGE rushers.

Ozzie's always about the board, but no matter where his draft slot is in the first round next year you have to believe with the depth they've acquired at EDGE rusher in this year's draft that it allows them to formulate their board to where an elite prospect at another position might fall to them. Period.

I'm not saying they don't take a pass rusher at all in 2017, but it alleviates the pressure of taking a pass rusher early on in 2017 because we've got young talent and depth that we can see how it develops.

If we are picking in the mid-20's or late-20's or ideally 32 next year and a prospect like Jonathan Allen or Tim Williams falls to Baltimore at 32 would I be all over it? Absolutely, if he's the BPA.

What I'm trying to point out is: Ozzie can take advantage of 2017 again because as teams scurry to get in line to make sure they acquire/bolster their lack of pass rush depth with one of the bountiful of edge rushers coming out next year -- someone like an OJ Howard might fall into Baltimore's lap. Someone like an Eddie Jackson (S, BAMA) might even fall into Baltimore's lap. Maybe even Cameron Sutton (CB, TEN).

Yes, with Gilmore and Maxx Williams you take another TE in Round 1 because if he makes the leap in production and actually becomes featured in that ALABAMA offense -- you'll see why this guy is a top 10 prospect in next year's draft class. Even if he doesn't this guy needs to be a top 10 prospect. He's the whole package.
    Unfortunately, BAMA itself has acknowledged it's complete lack of utilizing the monstrosity that is OJ Howard and Howard returned with the promise of being a focus point in that offense and I just think he's going to EAT next year. Good luck to the SEC trying to cover him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Dumb teams hold off on drafting players with the expectations that a similar player is going to be available in a year or two. Teams have no idea where they will be drafting, they have no idea if a college prospect is going to continue to perform at a certain level, and they have no idea how injuries are going to play out. Imagine if teams would have held off taking a linebacker in 2015 because Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack were coming out this year. Those teams would be SOL.

I'm not saying the Ravens' had the intention of loading up at pass rusher this year to skip drafting it next season. I'm saying it's just weird how it ended up being the best value and Ozzie ended up loading up at the position which may have birthed this chess-like opportunity for the 2017 Draft.
    Pass Rusher was a NEED for this team. Not just to add a quality young heir to Suggs/Doom, but to add some quality depth as well.
    There's no knowing what this draft class of pass rushers is capable of until they hit the field.
    But there's literally 5 guys! 5 GUYS! We are infusing THIS YEAR alone in Correa, Kaufusi, Henry, Judon, and Ochi (I'm banking on him making it).
    Unless the value just falls into your lap next year, it gives the Ravens just a better chance to land an ELITE prospect at a different position of need instead of getting in the line of the "run on pass rushers" early on because they didn't fulfill that obvious need.

As DeCosta even has said, they've probably undervalued or understated the value of CB's and how to place them on their board. With their young depth at pass rusher, they could now maybe take advantage of that next year.
    My money is still on Ozzie falling in love with OJ though.
    Two BAMA tight-ends.
    OJ could be great. Truly great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I should probably elaborate on my point a bit better:
    This year's draft class just so happened to allow the Ravens' to load up on pass rushers both through the draft and through UDFA. Are we really going to give and judge this draft class's ability off a single year? No. But having that type of depth and competition allows the Ravens' to approach next year's draft very differently. The fact is: the Ravens could potentially enter the season with Suggs, Dumervil, Correa, Z. Smith, Judon, and Ochi all listed in some order at OLB on the depth chart. That's 6 deep. Obviously there's some projection going on there. That's not including the talent they've drafted over the last several years up front.
    Pass Rusher was an obvious need for the Ravens and everyone knows this, and being able to load up at the position due to the value that was present gave the Ravens a lot of flexibility with 2017 in mind.
    It would be completely different let's say if the Ravens only took Correa in the draft and signed Ochi as an UDFA.
    The reality is this could be closer to the end for Suggs/Doom than it is that they are peaking. This could very well be that combination's last year in Baltimore together.

2017 if you're scouting you know is strong on 3 positions: EDGE/RB/DB. It's just what it is. It's exceptionally top heavy with EDGE rushers.

Ozzie's always about the board, but no matter where his draft slot is in the first round next year you have to believe with the depth they've acquired at EDGE rusher in this year's draft that it allows them to formulate their board to where an elite prospect at another position might fall to them. Period.

I'm not saying they don't take a pass rusher at all in 2017, but it alleviates the pressure of taking a pass rusher early on in 2017 because we've got young talent and depth that we can see how it develops.

If we are picking in the mid-20's or late-20's or ideally 32 next year and a prospect like Jonathan Allen or Tim Williams falls to Baltimore at 32 would I be all over it? Absolutely, if he's the BPA.

What I'm trying to point out is: Ozzie can take advantage of 2017 again because as teams scurry to get in line to make sure they acquire/bolster their lack of pass rush depth with one of the bountiful of edge rushers coming out next year -- someone like an OJ Howard might fall into Baltimore's lap. Someone like an Eddie Jackson (S, BAMA) might even fall into Baltimore's lap. Maybe even Cameron Sutton (CB, TEN).

Yes, with Gilmore and Maxx Williams you take another TE in Round 1 because if he makes the leap in production and actually becomes featured in that ALABAMA offense -- you'll see why this guy is a top 10 prospect in next year's draft class. Even if he doesn't this guy needs to be a top 10 prospect. He's the whole package.
    Unfortunately, BAMA itself has acknowledged it's complete lack of utilizing the monstrosity that is OJ Howard and Howard returned with the promise of being a focus point in that offense and I just think he's going to EAT next year. Good luck to the SEC trying to cover him next year.
    Man, my head hurts reading your post Nobody knows where their team will draft next year. Ozzie chose (wisely IMO) who he thought the Ravens need now and in the near future. Do you have that crystal ball that tells us where the Ravens will be picking in 2017? I sure hope a high level CB is our target, but I'm not sure there is one at the level (?) we will choose. Ghost my advice to you would be relax and enjoy the 2016 season, and let's hope it is successful, but the future will play out as every succeeding year has... without our pre-awareness :) ... Bc