Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Team is headed for a meltdown after a loss to New Orleans

On Cold Pizza today, Skip Bayless is reporting that it was a defensive mutiny that caused Fassel to be ousted. He says Ray and Ed were furious at the play call in Denver, with Clarence Moore on Champ Bailey. They were going to bat for McNair who was being a good soldier and running the play that was called.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    On Cold Pizza today, Skip Bayless is reporting that it was a defensive mutiny that caused Fassel to be ousted. He says Ray and Ed were furious at the play call in Denver, with Clarence Moore on Champ Bailey. They were going to bat for McNair who was being a good soldier and running the play that was called.
    I saw that too, and although it might be true, I'm sure as hell not going to trust a clown like Skip Bayless.

I don't know exactly what happened here, but I'm not going to assume that Billick just decided to go along with the objections of a few players and fire a friend of his. The opinions of some key players may have been a factor, but that can't have been the only reason Billick did this. He has gotten in the faces of some of his players before, he does not have a history of being afraid of his stars, so I think there was more to this than just Billick doing what a few whining players wanted.

And Jamal and Mason need to shut the hell up, especially Jamal. When you need three quarters of non-productive running plays to wear down the defense, then you aren't very good. A lot of running backs actually gain yardage in the first and second quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    They were going to bat for McNair who was being a good soldier and running the play that was called.
    It's a moot point now but the play that was called necesitated a high pass to take advantage of Moore's height. That was the whole idea, so McNair did not run the play that was called, even if Ray & Ed thought so. I am by no means defending the overall playcalling but on that particular play, lack of execution nullified a physical advantage for us.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

When the play is called the OC doesn't know who will line up on Moore, who just came into the game. McNair also has the authority to audible, throw the ball away, throw to another receiver or throw it high enough so only Moore can get it.

I am highly skeptical of Bayless. I can't see Reed or Lewis getting pissed trying to get a TD. That was McNair's mistake, not Fassel's.

Whiule I don't put much value on anything Baylass says and I'm sure we are going to hear six thousand "inside stories" on what went down I don't think it can be totally discounted either. Ray has had a love affair with McNair since before he got here so him leaping to McNair's defense wouldn't surprise me and since Ray and Reed seem tight again it also wouldn't surprise me if he jumped on the band wagon. It does seem pretty clear to me that the players are running the team.

Skip Bayless is full of sh*t every morning. I was just passing along what he said.

And I fully realize that throw to Moore was terrible. One of many terrible throws really. But I don't care if Clarence Moore is 9 ft. tall with springs on his feet --- it is never a good match-up or a physical advantage to line up our worst reciever against the best corner (sorry CMac) in the league.

Last week was the most proficient our offense has been all season. Do you think it's possible Billick got pissed at Fassel partially through the game and started calling the game himself?

At this point, I see this team losing to a better New Orleans team and McNair throwing a few INTs and the offense continuing to be abysmal.

Billick has 2 choices in his playcalling: turtle up and run the ball 30 times to satisfy inmate #1 (Jamal Lewis)

OR Open it up and let McNair's dead arm probably stink it up to satisfy inmate #2 (D Mason)
    Agree. I hope that he goes with option #1 and that the Defense can step it up to play Ravens football. Both San Diego and Denver had offenses which can put points on the board, and the Defense did a pretty good job. Hopefully, Samari getting "rolled" against Charlotte was just an aberration.

I'm afraid that option 2 would be a disaster, like 3 or 4 interceptions. Many of us can see that McNair doesn't have it anymore, particularly if it's a shootout game. Why can't the coaches?

I would not be surprised to see us as 7 point underdogs.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    OK, I'm ready to get flamed.

But honestly, this Fassel move was stupid. Again, we're letting the inmates run the assylum.

In my honest opinion, players were pissed with fassel because he wasn't taking their silly inputs into account.

IMHO, Mason probably wanted the playbook opened up WAY before Boller came in for McNair this week. And then felt betrayed that, once Steve went down, we opened it up.

Why wouldn't Fassel listen to Mason? or Jamal?

Because he knows what the deal is. Jamal isn't the Jamal of 2003. Get over it. And McNair's arm is dead. he's not the McNair of 2003 that beat us in the playoffs.

If we open it up with McNair, watch the INT show begin. Meltdown city.

McNair doesn't know the playbook well enough to start audibling or even just to make the throws. He throws to ghost recievers or behind or over his man a this point.

Fassel wasn't going to listen to the inmates about opening the offense up with a dead arm leading it, or about giving Jamal 30 carries a game when he's gaining 2 yards a carry.

Jamal had big gains last week because, gasp, fassel called lots of play action to set up the run. Seems like a good adjustment to me. But, because our defense couldnt' stop smith, we had to start explosively trying to score points.

This move of firing fassel wreaks.

Billick is letting the players decide who coaches, and who doesn't.

Actually I take that back, because really this just serves Billick's interests anyway. Fassel had become a threat to his power or lackthereof.

At this point, I see this team losing to a better New Orleans team and McNair throwing a few INTs and the offense continuing to be abysmal.

Billick has 2 choices in his playcalling: turtle up and run the ball 30 times to satisfy inmate #1 (Jamal Lewis)

OR Open it up and let McNair's dead arm probably stink it up to satisfy inmate #2 (D Mason)

Unfortunately, I think the meltdown is comign for this team. Unless somehow we blow out New Orleans and show ourselves to be as good as we hyped ourselves to be.

McNair hasn't shown anything besides 3 quarters of football (1st quarter, Bucs, 4th quarter, Chargers and Browns) Thats not what you spend 11 million on a veteran QB for.

I honestly think Fassel was at a moment of zen where he knew McNair's arm is done, and was calling the best game he could to mask the weaknesses. And now he gets the axe and gets scapegoated.

I'm interested in seeing how it goes from here, but I'm pretty pessimistic about it, unless Jamal and Steve suddenly get the cream and the clear.

Relax Bro we'll be OK. Two good teams just beat us and we were in both games. It will all come down to the OL getting a little better so our QB's can relax and take over.

Keep the faith stay on the ship.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I'm afraid that option 2 would be a disaster, like 3 or 4 interceptions. Many of us can see that McNair doesn't have it anymore, particularly if it's a shootout game. Why can't the coaches?
    Well, it isn't as dire as you make it out, McNair might have something in the tank. I am with you most of the way but let's not make too many changes for change's sake here. That being said, the coaches see it, that's why the play calling changed when Boller came in.

Fassel's play calling has sucked all year and the players know it. The jump ball to Moore was the prime example of the OC not understanding when and how to call plays in the red zone.

And I agree we need to run the ball more...and I don't care who it is...Jamal, Musa or MA...just get it done. I think they all have different strengths and can all be used in certain situations.

The AFC North is wide open this year so if Billick can right the ship more power to him. IMHO I don't think he can do it, but I wish him luck.

FM

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I tell you what,while all these fingers are being pointed this way and that.
    And all this discord is blowing up,then minds are not on football.

Billick has to earn his money during this bye week.Get the team back on track, and everyones minds in that locker room back on football.Back on the task at hand,preparing to beat the New Orleans Saints.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.