Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

IMO I don't think BB can improve the offense and even get them to be average b/c it's his system. He's had a major hand in the offense since he got here and it has been crappy ever since. So why would he alll of a sudden be able to have some miraculous awakening with the offense now?

Tell me why you think he can or can't turn the offense around.

FM

Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

I'm willing to wait and see. All signs point to no, but he does have much better personnel on O now than he did in 99 when he was calling plays. At this point, any sort of change is good. It's obvious Fassel wasn't getting the job done and some of the players didn't respect him.

I see this as win-win. If Billick does well and turns the offense around, we'll be in for an exciting playoff season. If he doesn't, he'll be fired at the end of the season and we can look forward to the end of Billick-ball and horrible offenses.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think he can, if the stories of Fassel being disinterested and not putting in the hours are true then this can only help.

I am not one who gets too fired up about play calls, but I think STRATEGY is important and I don't think we have had a good one. This past Sunday, opening with 3 straight passes is a perfect example. We need to pound the ball and we haven't. Yes, I know, the running game hasn't been great, but there is occasionally a spark and we need to let our huge OL beat up on DLs for a while at the beginning of games.

I also don't think we have been schemed to go after the weaknesses of other teams. This might have to do with not enough hours in the film study of the opposition. If so, we might have a little better plan of attack on Sundays.

I, sadly, have the feeling that we will know the answer after one set of downs.

I hope that the change works. Billick is a smart guy & even though this has been his offense since he came, he didn't have the weapons we have now when he 1st got here. He had Water Buffalo/Case/Banks as his QB, Priest Holmes, before he was really good, as the RB. Ismail was here for his 1st year. Now we have Mason, Clayton & Williams, who I think will be good. Heap, Jamal, who may have something left, who knows. Maybe he can make it work w/ McNair. If Fassel wasn't doing the job like he was supposed to, this will be for the better. There is no one more motivated than someone who's playing for or coaching for their job.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think Billick has the proper motivation to put in the time to improve the offense. I'm not sure that we have any proof that he can make a difference other than how well the offense performed in the second half of 1999 (if he was still calling the plays then).

One small thing I am concerned about is Billick's animated sideline behavior. How will his usual hooting and hollering be taken by the players and coaches now that he is directly responsible for calling the plays. When a player misses a block and the RB or QB gets blown up in the backfield, how will Billick's tantrums be taken by that offending blocker? How will Mason's displeasure with the offense be taken by the head coach? I know that Billick was like this for years before, but he wasn't as directly involved with the players as much then as he will be now. On the opposite end of that, hopefully with Billicks comfortable relationship with the offensive players no longer cushioned by an OC it will force more action and adjustments because the head honcho is no longer having information filtered through other voices.

Another thing I am hopeful for is the return of the running game. Whether we all hated him or not, the rushing attack that the Ravens fielded when Cavanaugh was the OC was pretty effective. Maybe with Billick at the helm the Ravens can recapture some of that magic they once had. The line in 2001 was poor and riddled with injuries and on top of that the running backs behind that line were mediocre as a whole, but together they managed to string together some pretty good games running the ball to get into the playoffs. I am convinced that the playcalling must have had something to do with that... I just hope it wasn't all Cavanaugh.

Just knowing that Billick is as alarmed and worried about his job security to make some coaching changes during the season is enough for me to believe that Billick may be willing to make other changes he would have otherwise not made like deposing Mike Flynn from his starting role or being more creative/selective with offensive playcalling.
    Last edited by skimmy; 10-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.

No, I don't believe Billick will be able to improve the offense. For one thing, as has already been said this has been Billick's playbook all along, it hasn't worked in six years and with two OC's why assume it will suddenly change. Pounding the ball hasn't worked at all the past two years why continue a failed plan? Like it or not Jamal Lewis is simply not the same back he was in 2003. Right now it appears to me that the strength of this offense, assuming there is one, is our receiving corps so I think we should "shift our paradigm" and focus on the passing game. Since McNair can't throw farther than five yards obviously we will need to employ the now famous dink and dunk offense. The biggest factor to me, however, is Billick has lost control of this team ~ the inmates are in charge and I don't see that changing. They are so busy running their mouths that they can't hear anything else and for that we can thank Bisciotti and his "play nice with the boys" edict.

I tend to agree with both losac and Greg. Its a win-win for the team, because now Billick has his fate in his hands. Like Greg said, perhaps a different strategy and actually setting up a scheme to exploit the opponents might work better than what we've been doing.

I don't think its a case of the inmates running the asylum; these are veteran players who are seeing a great start to the season slowly circling the bowl. They want to stop that and so does Billick.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I think that the offense will improve; we've already seen seeds of change in the play calling. Hopefully the progression will continue. As far as the inmates running the asylum--I think if you hire good people you need to listen to them when they have concerns that affect the company. I think it would have been pig-headed to not have listened.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

It would be damn near impossible for the O to get worse...so I am going to say taht Billick will make a difference.

Doubtful. It's been Billick's system all along. He doesn't have Randall Cunningham or Brad Johnson throwing to Cris Carter & Randy Moss anymore. Not even Tony Banks throwing to Qadry Ismail.

I don't know if someone else can do more with the talent that we have, but I doubt that stubborn, arrogant Bilick can change his spots in a hurry to reverse the slide.

First thing he should do is re-sign Alan Ricard!

:T2:

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

The system isn't the issue, many teams employ the same system. The plays in Billick's playbook are in everybody else's.

It is a combination of the OL talent and the strategy employed in the game plan. We need to pound the ball to wear down the opposing DL, at least for a few series. This is how we can make our weak OL at least adequate.

Fassel's plan was to play to the strengths of the skill players and that is fine except it ignored our OL weakness. Our first course of action needs to be to run right at the best pass rusher on the other side and let our OL beat on him.

Maybe this won't help, but it can't hurt.