Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dr. John Urschel

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    ...for a guy who's frugal enough to drive a used Nissan Versa, honest enough to understand that his long-term career depends upon him making it through its NFL phase with a mostly-undamaged brain, & canny enough to realize that once he's qualified for the pension (5 years' service, amirite?) the best way to preserve that "beautiful mind" is to walk away from the sport.
    All these traits make Urschel one of my favorite players. He really is a guy that the NFL would do well to publicize more, although I don't really see that happening. I'm sure Urschel will be smart enough to make the right decision at the right time about his career. Before that happens, though, maybe he'll appear in a Royal Farms commercial alongside Justin Tucker??

Blog Entries

Urshel won't get marketed by the NFL because he is not flashy enough, he doesn't talk a lot, he doesn't date super models, he's not a QB, WR or RB. Last but not least he plays for the Baltimore Ravens...

I'll be waiting for a look at NFL Stats to create his own Moneyball formulas, like the guy Podesta (sp?) hired by the Browns -they need math to tell them they were bad? I wonder if Dr John is still driving that small car. (Right Place Wrong Time-music reference)

Blog Entries

I don't expect Urschel to play for too many more seasons. If he gets another concussion or two, I can see him retiring early.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Urshel won't get marketed by the NFL because he is not flashy enough, he doesn't talk a lot, he doesn't date super models, he's not a QB, WR or RB. Last but not least he plays for the Baltimore Ravens...
    And he's not even a starter.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I love this board for this reason. You see more than althletism. And more than wins and losses. It's obvious what's more important to him. While not getting lazy scholastically he continues to pursue his greater love football. His love for the game is a thing of beauty. I think eventually he may choose being a professor/coach somewhere. Maryland could use the help.