Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Stat comparison updated, 2006 QBs only

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This is what you are going to use? I remember he dinked and dunked his way down the field and the one time he tried to get deep he underthrew a wide open Mason for an easy TD. Now maybe he just made a poor throw but since he has yet to make that throw my guess is he can't. The best throw he has made was the Mason drop going down the sideline against SD.

I don't define arm strength as the ability to lob a ball 50 yards. I define arm strength as the ability to get the ball into tight spots with accuracy, to lead a receiver at full sprint (several on that drive), and the ability to make throws to the sideline (also one on that drive).

I KNOW that Mac hasn't made very good throws so far this season, and I am not giving him a pass on those, but this contention that he has a noodle arm (after throwing 3000+ yards just one year ago) is silly. The guy didn't just wake up one day and his arm was completely atrophied. :grbac:

In fact...that INT last Sunday was well OVER-thrown and on a rope. The strength is there...the accuracy just sucks.

The key statement from both yourself and T is "I guess".

I won't go so far as to say that he has the same arm he did in '99...but all this noodle-arm talk is just a way for T to harp on a decision that he was agaisnt before Mac ever put on a purple jersey or tossed a single ball.

anyway...just my .02

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Well, I was FOR getting McNair, but I see the same thing, we don't go deep with McNair. In comes Boller and we go deep 6 times. McNair can throw a nice ball but it is all touch and no zip. And his sideline throws...I hold my breath every time. It seems like it takes a week to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well, I was FOR getting McNair, but I see the same thing, we don't go deep with McNair. In comes Boller and we go deep 6 times. McNair can throw a nice ball but it is all touch and no zip. And his sideline throws...I hold my breath every time. It seems like it takes a week to get out there.

I think we are going to find out once and for all against NO...

My guess is that Billick is going to stop babying Mac and call some deep routes...it seemed obvious to me last week that Fassil was the reason there was a shift in the calls Boller was getting vs. what Mac was asked to do.

Also...remember that Mac sent a good pass in Mason's direction last week...and mason dropped it. =(

all this noodle-arm talk is just a way for T to harp on a decision that he was agaisnt before Mac ever put on a purple jersey or tossed a single ball.

anyway...just my .02
    Yes & no. I had no problem with the idea of bringing McNair in, although my preference, if we were going all out for a new starter instead of a vet to replace AW and complement Boller, was for Brees or Culpepper. Since the day that Boller arrived, I have been in favor of getting a competent but affordable vet to compete with him and to complement him. What irked me was just naming McNair, at his age and beaten up condition with obviously declining skills, as the starter without competition, and then mortgaging our future by overpaying him.

Again: I'll eat all my words if McNair can turn things around and become a quality starter. I want nothing more than Ravens victories. I am not relishing the idea of going down to the Big Easy next weekend for an ass-kicking in the Dome.:bag:

Anyway, talk about "harping on a decision": how many Ravens fans who initially saw McNair as the franchise savior are now just simply ignoring his mediocrity?

As to arm strength, I somewhat agree with Greg. It's not just the inability to throw long. It's the inability to throw mid-range, even short, with zip and accuracy.

:T2:

Anyway, talk about "harping on a decision": how many Ravens fans who initially saw McNair as the franchise savior are now just simply ignoring his mediocrity?
    Not this one....but then again, I never epected him to be McNabb, or Brady, or Peyton. I expected him to be better than Boller,Collins, or Culpepper, but worse than those other guys. So far I think I have been right.

I still think he has a couple more serious runs in him and that his arm strength isn't as bad as some are making it out to be, but you are right in saying that fans who expected Mac to light it up are/were delusional.

I expected him to be better than Boller,Collins, or Culpepper, but worse than those other guys. So far I think I have been right.
    We can agree to disagree on that one.

Collins had too little training camp to be effective at Tenn, so it's hard to judge if he has anything left. He certainly bombed as the intial Titans starter for 2006. Everything else being equal (i.e. not considering the out-year cap impact), I agree that McNair is a better choice, but I am assuming that we could could have picked up Collins at half the price and a one-year deal, and a full training camp. I saw Collins as Wright's replacement who would have competed for the starting job, and losing the competition.

Culpepper is doing OK with Miami this year, considering the injury. He's got a lifetime rating over 90 and plenty of football ahead of him. Really can't make a call on Culpepper until next season, assuming he gets fully recovered.

I won't bother to recite the McNair vs. Boller discussion again.:grbac:

:T2:
    Last edited by Mista T; 10-18-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Remember that first drive of the Giants pre-season game? Mac can make the throws.
    WTF -- if you have to go back to the first drive of a preseason game to tell us McNair can make the throws, then we're all in trouble, seeing as how we're six games into the regular season.

You mean like McNair did in Denver?

Oh wait, sorry that was a 34.6.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    WTF -- if you have to go back to the first drive of a preseason game to tell us McNair can make the throws, then we're all in trouble, seeing as how we're six games into the regular season.

WTF it if you want to, but I think that it (along with several other drives this year) shows that Mac can make the throws when asked.

I think the dink and dunk says more about the Fassel play selection than the QBs ability to throw down field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    If you don't think that "97" is an abberation you are in for a huge letdown. Boller's next chance if on the road he will likely put up a "32".
    Totally agree. There is absolutely no reason to think that KB's 97 rating is anything but an aberration. Take those two TDs away or even add two INTs (since the chances of either are equal) and you have a very different number.

or even add two INTs
    Sigh. No now let's just add interceptions to Boller's numbers to bring them down??

Well, I guess if all three of McNair's INT's were TD's we'd have totally different numbers than a 34.6 too wouldn't we?

Unbelievable.

Sigh. No now let's just add interceptions to Boller's numbers to bring them down??

Well, I guess if all three of McNair's INT's were TD's we'd have totally different numbers than a 34.6 too wouldn't we?

Unbelievable
    Look, any tipped ball has an equal chance of being:

Incomplete
    TD
    INT

I know that isn't how it turned out...but you can't deny the statistical improbability of what happend on Sunday.

I am simply not willing to credit Boller for the results of those plays. If they had been incomplete or INTs this board would be reacting very differently about his performacne than it is today