Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens are #1 in the NFL in Unnecessary Roughness penalties

But we've had a lot of practice because we also led the league in 2012 and 2014 (and were 2nd in 2013). In 2012, Pollard, Reed, Boldin and Rice had 9 between them.
    We have 13 this year already while other teams have only 1. I know there are many terrible calls by the refs and some were UR against the Ravens but I attribute that to incompetence, not a conspiracy. Why are other NFL coaches, including the most successful one, able to teach their players that these dumb fouls will not be tolerated?

Re: Ravens are #1 in the NFL in Unnecessary Roughness penalties

Who cares. We lead the league in 2012, like you said, and thats the year we won the Super Bowl. Its not the reason were so bad. If these are penalties because players are finishing blocks after the whistle then who cares.
    Hi, I'm the 2000 Ravens defense and I have DirecTV.

And I'm the 2015 Ravens defense and I have cable

Blog Entries

Technique
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I've always feared that there's a "repeat offenders" bias in the NFL when it comes to judgement penalties. In my opinion, officials should not be bringing any outside information in when they rule on a play, and it should have to do with what the players are doing in the context of the game, not "well, this is borderline, but they always do this, so I'll call it, or they're well coaches they couldn't have done this." It's common for people to look more closely for things when they expect them, and that has no place in a fairly called game. It's why professors will often like to grade essays blindly without seeing the name of the student who writes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Technique
    EXCELLENT!! I submitted an earlier post suggesting that our lack of team self discipline has been a significant negative this year w/r to the team's performance, or lack thereof, and got steamrolled by my fellow posters. In any case, this negative statistic can't be overlooked, regardless of perceived ref bias.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

i thought harbs got rid of the malcontents and has full control

Blog Entries

I stopped reading after Ravens are #1

woo hoo!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I really don't have much issue with it as an overall stat. Each call is different though. Jernigan has two that I can think of that piss me off because they were dumb cheap shots on QBs that cost us badly. I seem to recall Guy getting a similar dumb one.

Webb's hit on the receiver a week or two ago I thought was a bullshit call, and I would want him to play that ball exactly the same next time and every time, other than the fact he didn't succeed in separating the receiver from the ball. Will Hill got one for tackling a runner by picking him up and throwing him to the ground. The following week he did the same thing, only more violent I thought, and no flag.

I want these guys hitting hard and being aggressive. We don't stop people on defense. We don't scare anyone. We don't get turnovers anymore. Part of that is not hitting hard and causing a fumble or a deflected pass. On deflected passes there's no one else in the neighborhood to intercept.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I want these guys hitting hard and being aggressive. We don't stop people on defense. We don't scare anyone. We don't get turnovers anymore. Part of that is not hitting hard and causing a fumble or a deflected pass. On deflected passes there's no one else in the neighborhood to intercept.
    Agreed 100%. It's a fine line when you're talking about unnecessary roughness because it's a judgment call by the official. Certainly on one side of the line is a play like Jernigan's against the Raiders when he took at least 2 steps after Carr released the ball before crushing him. But the one by Guy (which was a terrible call), or the one on Webb, or even that roll-up block by Yanda -- those are aggressive, physical plays. If you want that type of team you have to play right to that line and sometimes over it.

It's much worse to lead the league in offsides, delay of games and procedure/formation type penalties -- those are mental errors. Those penalties are the hallmarks of undisciplined, disorganized teams.

As for "technique" -- it's cliche on the board at this point, but those are your DPIs, holdings and illegal contacts...and there have been far too many of those this year.

Blog Entries

lmaooo we number 1 in all the wrong categories

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Technique

This may wind up being another nail in Harbaugh's coffin. Poor coaching. Jernigan should be taught to hold up on his cheap shots against opposing QBs, or shown the door. He's not good enough to defer to him due to "star" status.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).