Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4-3 Next Year?

Re: 4-3 Next Year?

Interesting idea, moving to a 4-3. However, we should also consider that Brandon Williams is an ideal NT, which argues for the 3-4. One of the biggest coaching challenges going forward is getting better use out of our front seven on D, not only maximizing the pass rush but improving mobility of defenders near the LOS. I understand the wish to get speedier defenders like Orr and Brown into space. We really need to find out to some degree what they've got before 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco's_Haircut View Post
    I'm not totally sold on Bosa myself, granted I haven't watched much of him. I know he's being double teamed just about every play but just doesn't seem to make much of an impact beyond drawing the double team and not taking himself out of position. But he's on again in 2 hours so we'll see...
    I think we can all agree that Bosa will be a top-5 pick in the '16 draft. If he's our pick, I hope we transition our defense to fit his strengths, as I alluded to earlier. A buddy of mine, who watches college football religiously, is completely sold on Bosa and wants him on the Ravens next year.

With the amount of sub packages we run throughout the game we're not a true "3-4" team in the same way we used to be.

We don't have the proper skillsets to play a full on 4-3, but when we come out with extra DB's, we typically have 4 lineman rushing in a very vanilla fashion (Thanks Pees!).

I don't really buy into any sort of 4-3 vs 3-4 argument. It's all about the right players for what scheme you are going to run. Right now we have the best personnel for a "3-4", but it's not run the same as it used to be.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Until they fix the secondary with better players, doesn't matter what they run, SMH.

Blog Entries

If you're going to run a successful 3-4 these days, you need your edge backers to be extremely, athletic, honestly, all of your backers. Suggs is too old and dinged up. Smith is too old. Upshaw isn't athletic enough (For his size I give him credit) and Dumervil is one dimensional.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If you're going to run a successful 3-4 these days, you need your edge backers to be extremely, athletic, honestly, all of your backers. Suggs is too old and dinged up. Smith is too old. Upshaw isn't athletic enough (For his size I give him credit) and Dumervil is one dimensional.
    Spot on! But I think we can easily get two hybrids in the draft and the supplement the rush that way. But man that kid Bosa scares me. I just can't take him with a top 5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Spot on! But I think we can easily get two hybrids in the draft and the supplement the rush that way. But man that kid Bosa scares me. I just can't take him with a top 5 pick.
    Why not... Don't overthink it. He's got no weaknesses.
    Hi, I'm the 2000 Ravens defense and I have DirecTV.

And I'm the 2015 Ravens defense and I have cable

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Well, if we get that top-3 pick and select Joey Bosa, we should consider the switch. I have read he's best-suited for the 4-3 alignment. It will all depend on whom we bring in as coordinator, though.
    You don't make a scheme selection because of one player. Bosa could be a bust or get injured. The Ravens have been drafting for a specific scheme for years not sure why they make a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    You don't make a scheme selection because of one player. Bosa could be a bust or get injured. The Ravens have been drafting for a specific scheme for years not sure why they make a switch.
    Because they don't have the horses for a 3-4, and quite frankly haven't for about 5 years now.

When your Dline is your strength, you want 4 of them on the field, not 3 at a time. In a 3-4 the strength of your team is the LB corps. Our LB corps sucks and is aging. We have one piece for the future but he can't set the edge, cover the flats, QB/RB spy , ect all at once.

We have a young, strong dline that is up and coming. We have interior pressure from Jenkins/Williams/Davis and can get outside pressure with Urban/KLM/Doom and hopefully Bosa if we draft him. This would let Suggs/Mosely do their thing, all we need is a WILL backer. Let doom be a situational pass rusher, don't ask him to set the edge or play on obvious run downs.

Get good interior and exterior pressure on the QB, clog the running lanes and you will see a MUCH better secondary using the same personnel.

The 3-4 works when you have probowl/allpro level talent at all levels and VERY high quality starters all around. (I.E. Denver). You also need a coach who can run it properly (we don't). With the move to smaller/faster/more explosive lineman, you will see less 3-4 and more 4-3 schemes as a result. The point is you need to scheme to your and strengths. Despite the fact we may have been drafting for a 3-4 (poorly I might add), we have much better personnel fit for a 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by turretgunner View Post
    Because they don't have the horses for a 3-4, and quite frankly haven't for about 5 years now.

When your Dline is your strength, you want 4 of them on the field, not 3 at a time. In a 3-4 the strength of your team is the LB corps. Our LB corps sucks and is aging. We have one piece for the future but he can't set the edge, cover the flats, QB/RB spy , ect all at once.

We have a young, strong dline that is up and coming. We have interior pressure from Jenkins/Williams/Davis and can get outside pressure with Urban/KLM/Doom and hopefully Bosa if we draft him. This would let Suggs/Mosely do their thing, all we need is a WILL backer. Let doom be a situational pass rusher, don't ask him to set the edge or play on obvious run downs.

Get good interior and exterior pressure on the QB, clog the running lanes and you will see a MUCH better secondary using the same personnel.

The 3-4 works when you have probowl/allpro level talent at all levels and VERY high quality starters all around. (I.E. Denver). You also need a coach who can run it properly (we don't). With the move to smaller/faster/more explosive lineman, you will see less 3-4 and more 4-3 schemes as a result. The point is you need to scheme to your and strengths. Despite the fact we may have been drafting for a 3-4 (poorly I might add), we have much better personnel fit for a 4-3.

As Rex Barney would say "give that a fan a contract." Spot on analysis and that's why a switch would get us back to respectability.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Well, if we get that top-3 pick and select Joey Bosa, we should consider the switch. I have read he's best-suited for the 4-3 alignment. It will all depend on whom we bring in as coordinator, though.
    I don't want the Ravens to draft Bosa. I would prefer DT Robert Nkemdiche from Ole Miss. I would take him in a heartbeat and switch to a 4-3 defense next year. The Ravens don't have the LBs to to run a 3-4 anymore.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't want the Ravens to draft Bosa. I would prefer DT Robert Nkemdiche from Ole Miss. I would take him in a heartbeat and switch to a 4-3 defense next year. The Ravens don't have the LBs to to run a 3-4 anymore.
    We don't need another interior DT. We already have too many that guys won't see the field. We need some outside Line Pressure and guys to compliment what we already have. Adding Bosa would be a MUCH greater impact than an interior DT.