Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: more QB stats

Re: more QB stats

And that was the point, that the hate for Boller some have causes a distortion of facts just to try and make him look bad. FACT: He played very well against a hot team desperately trying to make the playoffs.
    So What? Tim Couch beat us when we were desperately trying to make the playoffs in 2002. He's no savior and Things didnt turn out too good for him, ya know.

Look, Boller played well against the vikes and he needs to prove that he can continue to play like that consistantly but that game, no matter how many time you point to it, doesn't magically make him any better. The only thing it does is maybe provide some hope, and thats fine if you at least say that because Boller has a laundry list of bad stats that are piled against him that make many people cringe at the thought of him starting.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Look, Boller played well against the vikes and he needs to prove that he can continue to play like that consistantly but that game, no matter how many time you point to it, doesn't magically make him any better.
    Mabye so, but that wasn't the point. The point is every time you point out something Boller has done well some posters, unlike your underlined portion, are unable to acknowledge it.

Look, McNair showed some great leadership and grit in those two late game drives to beat C-choke and SD. I can acknowledge that. I am not here to hate on McNair, I want him to succeed. Most of my takes regarding his poor play are to simply compare that to Boller. He has not upped the QB play on this team at all. If anything over the last 5-6 games each has played Boller has out-played him. That's all. A simple acknowledgement Boller is not a HORRIBLE QB.

I assume from your statement, "He has not upped the QB play on this team at all", that If Boller was playing Instead of McNair, the Ravens would be At Least 4-2, if not 5-1, or 6-0?!?!

I see no reason that we wouldn't be 4-2. The statistics over the last 6 games each has played in show Boller's are superior to McNair's so I think I can safely say the results would be at least equal. You can claim otherwise but you would have little in the way of statistics over the most recent trends to support that. If you want to use the whole career of Boller and McNair you got me. Unfortunately we aren't seeing the McNair of 1999-2003, the 2006 version has been sub-Boller, statistically.

No, it's just that for the first time in two years, the Ravens seem to be in a reasonable position to make the playoffs, having just come off of a 6-10 season. There's a long way to go; but I contend that If the Ravens make the playoffs, it will be Because of McNair at QB, IMO!

No, it's just that for the first time in two years, the Ravens seem to be in a reasonable position to make the playoffs, ...
    So 2 years ago, with Boller we were in a reasonable position to make the playoffs, correct? We were a defensive stop against Cincinnati from making the playoffs in 2004 with Boller at the helm all of the way.

Granted, in 2004 our Defense imploded against Cincy, and we were toast after that - we can't necessarily fault the QB for that collapse. It was a total team effort.

Which kind of dispells the idea that we can't make the playoffs with Boller. He played that season a bit better than McNair has so far in this one. If the offense doesn't step up all of the love the D (like Ray) have for McNair might go.

I don't agree with that thesis. My opinion has always been, until proven otherwise (based on end-of-year results), that McNair possesses those qualities necessary to take this team to the next level; i.e. leadership, poise, decision making, confidence of his teammates - these are all attributes which IMO have Not been demonstrated by Kyle thus far.

Okay, but those things don't win games if you can't complete passes. And McNair has a terrible completion percentage when coupled with his yards per attempt. He is throwing short passes and still is not completing them at a high level. In the pre-season I wasn't sweating the short passing because he was hitting 65% of his passes, he isn't now. If we are going to get 55% completions we might as well do it with Boller pusing the ball down the field.

The intangible that McNair has going for him is his decision making ability, and his poise under pressure (two qualities which are not reflected in the stat sheets). Kyle, to this point, has not demonstrated these qualities (with the one exception of the Jets game), IMO. McNair's passing stats have Not been impressive to-date! However, he has demonstrated the ability to, once again, lead a team in crunch time (twice this year already), and that to me is the Most Important quality a winning QB needs!

The intangible that McNair has going for him is his decision making ability, and his poise under pressure (two qualities which are not reflected in the stat sheets).
    I'm sorry, but if these "qualities" don't result in complete passes and first downs they don't mean anything.