Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Dan Cody non factor

The Ravens are faced with some tough decisions after this season ends. With a little less then half the season gone, wouldn't it make sense to get Dan Cody involved with this defense?

I think there are few players in this league like AD but with a huge pay raise staring at him from other more needy defenses and his age, I cant see the Ravens re-signing him. To add to that, the immergance of Bart Scott playing probowl caliber football also adds to the unlikely resigning of AD.

It concerns me that the Ravens would rather suit up tractor (#95) then Cody at the very least he should be in the LB rotation.

I know Cody needs to work on his pass rush moves, but he could certainly be in the rotation to keep the LB's fresh.

Thoughts...

Re: The Dan Cody non factor

If we let Adalius Thomas go, we're crazy. He's worth the money to keep around. I get that we have a high draft pick behind him, but he's nowhere near the level of versatility of Thomas. I expect we'll make the cap room to sign him to a solid contract. Honestly? If Samari Rolle keeps looking lost in our secondary, I could see us releasing or trading him, or at least asking for a pay cut. We also might save some money on our offensive line; if they're going to play like crap, we can at least pay them nothing to do it. I don't think the dropoff between our veterans and our young players is so severe that it justifies how much we pay guys like Flynn and Vincent. Ogden is probably the only exception at this point (though Mulitalo looked good until the injury).

I also expect that this could be Jamal's last year here. If we can get similar production from Mike Anderson or Musa Smith, there's no reason to pay Jamal big money. If we're going to pay him, he needs to be an elite back again, and he's not right now.

We'll find a way to keep AD.

You could scrape all the o-line's pay together with the exception of Ogden, and still not have enough to pay AD's expected base salary for a season let alone spread over several years. You have a point about Jamal's last stop here. I think the league spoke volumes about Jamal. No one was busting the door down to sign him to big money except us.

That said, I am not sure about either Musa or Anderson carrying the load if Jamal is let go. I think we need to draft our RB of the future on the first day. Doesn't need to be a first round pick, but someone who can carry the load and be physical enough to handle 16 games of pounding. Anderson is getting up in age and Musa has the injury history working against him.

Look I am all for keeping AD around, but with last season and this one he is putting together I can't see us able to compete with the money Peterson got. Plus AD took a discount contract last time and this is his last go around. He won't be so willing this time. He has gained exposure and notice from the league. He is a big part of our defense. But we can't keep all these guys: Reed, CMac, Ray, Suggs, Scott etc. Someone will go after this season. My guess is we will put a reasonable contract offer for him and he will go elsewhere to get top dollar. Who can blame him.

You make a good point about Rolle. I don't think he is healthy. I am ready for the kid from LSU to step up and start in his place. I would bring Rolle in as the nickle. Swap the roles if you will.

Think about this.............How many times do we throw offensive rookies into the mix and they take a beating? Sometimes bringing along a younger player slowly will enhance their development and provide a greater return to the team in the long run.

It is odd to categorize this effect to a defensive player, especially a linebacker, but saving him now will ensure a greater transition as our current LB's get older and start to leave the game. Especially true for the great Hall of Fame bound Ray Lewis whose time is ticking toward his Raven sunset. Dan Cody will get his day and as long as our D is playing "pound your ass" football, let Cody learn and be ready in case of the pre-playoff freak injury that may happen as the season goes on. Hopefully we will not see any major defensive injury as our season progresses and our defense will remain intimidating for years to come!

The Ravens may go into "this is our window" mode and do everything to re-sign the key players knowing that they will have to dump players and salary in a couple years like they did in 2003.

I wish we could keep AD, but the big money contract he signs won't be worth it 3 years from now. AD is peaking and I assume Ozzie will give him a fair deal but someone else will over pay and buy AD when his stock is probably at what will be his career high.

That is how you end up in cap jail.

Funny how a subject about Cody barely contains anything about him (appropriate thread title). Has he even been activated on game days? I was looking forward to the "Dan the Beast" this year, now I'm wondering if we can just cut him and add his $$ to AD's.

Disappointed basically describes my opinion of him at this point.
    SS

Remember that we brought Scott and AD along fairly slowly. I know that Cody was a higher pick but he did have the injury.

He's not costing us much against the cap so he'll have at least next year to show us something, though I hope he'll get his chance this year.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

AD & Scott played on special teams, supposedely Cody doesn't. How hard can it be to teach the guy special teams? Or is it he doesn't want to learn or play? I'd be ready to play wherever they wanted to play me if I was him. I'd be chomping at the bit to get my 1st activation as an NFL player. We have 8 players inactive every week. They include Cody (2nd), Chester (2nd), Pittman (3rd), Edwards (2nd), Darling (3rd). 5/8 (62.5%) of our inactives are 1st day draft picks within the past 3 years, & they can't crack the playing field? Meanwhile we have RFA's (Prude) & 2nd day picks (Landry), active & playing every week. I know the Ravens usually get high marks for their drafting, but this inactive % for 1st day picks is sad. Inactives should be your fringe practice squad (Ross, Daniels) & the guys you don't know if you have to IR (Ivy). The story just isn't Cody my friends, the story is deeper into the orginization.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Good point Jeff.

All I can say is that Scott and AD are a bit faster than Cody. That helps a lot on special teams.

With the rest of the post you paint a fairly disturbing picture. We've all known about how bad the Ravens second round picks turn out and this has been a franchise long problem. Really the only good pick I can think of out of the second round is Jamie Sharper. The jury is still out on Terry, though I think he'll do just fine.

I don't know what else to say. Maybe we should start trading our second round picks for more sixth and seventh rounders?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Weaver was a solid second-round pick, Baxter played well for a couple of years, and Herring was okay, but that's about it. I think Chester still has a chance, but at this point, I don't hold out much hope for either Terry or Cody to be long-term factors. Oh, and the situation with third-round picks is even worse.

I really don't have much patience with this habit the Ravens have of sitting high round draft picks. IMO, if they were good enough to be picked that high then they should be seeing the field. I'm sick of hearing how they need a year in the weight room to bulk up, why can't they be bulking up while they are playing?