Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Natural Grass Field Next Year?

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 6m6 minutes ago
    Team officials met with players about three months ago. Players and coaches both wanted the switch to grass field.

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 7m7 minutes ago
    Ravens team president Dick Cass said that natural grass is "more consistent with the way that we view that we play football” in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I really don't get that at all. I never thought this rumor was remotely credible and now it's true. Weird change to make
    I've heard theories that a lot of these lower leg injuries are tied to turf vs grass. Don't claim it's fact, but some believe it. My guess is maybe the Ravens are among those that do. They're certainly not going to make a majorly expensive overhaul to a higher maintenance cost product on a whim.

It does seem to me that there have been a lot more injuries to lower leg ligaments over the past few years than previously. Again, that's just gut not stating as fact.

Dumb, dumb, dumb

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Guess I was right a week ago or so.
    I told you that that's what I heard on the radio.
    Yup. I'll take a serving of crow.

I am willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt on this one. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Cleveland seem to make it work...and yes, other teams like the Redskins do not. As with everything, time will tell.

One positive: This was based on a input from the coaches and players. I suspect there are quite a few teams in the NFL that wouldn't even consider what the players and coaches wanted in their decision-making process.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I am willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt on this one. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Cleveland seem to make it work...and yes, other teams like the Redskins do not. As with everything, time will tell.

One positive: This was based on a input from the coaches and players. I suspect there are quite a few teams in the NFL that wouldn't even consider what the players and coaches wanted in their decision-making process.
    All three of those teams have had serious issues with their field conditions.

We've had grass before and it failed. Miserably.

looks like harbs has some pull

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 4m4 minutes ago
    Harbaugh said he's excited about grass field. "To me, it epitomizes what Baltimore is all about." Harbaugh admits he lobbied for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I was curious so I went out and did a quick Google search: "Problems with <insert city name or team name> grass field."

For Pittsburgh, I found one complaint of the field by Torrey Smith before the playoff game a couple of seasons ago. And then several articles from before 2004 (from my research I found out that Pittsburgh switched to a different blend of Kentucky Bluegrass back around 2005-6).

For both Cleveland and Philadelphia, I found nothing.

For comparison, for Washington I found a bunch of articles about their field problems.

Other interesting points of note: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/01/nfl...grass-rankings

That article ranking all 32 NFL fields (based on surveys with players and groundskeepers) had the M&T turf field ranked lower than Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia...and just about every other team at #23. I also found this noteworthy:

(M&T is) The only NFL stadium using Shaw Sports Momentum 51 artificial surface, the design of the fibers are said to help hold in the infill system.
    Like I said, it was a quick search. But I didn't find any information about serious issues with the teams I noted; if you have other info, I would be interested in seeing it.

Yes, that is true. But what we don't know is whether there will be changes in technology or grasses used that would make that not be the case in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I don't remember Philly having any issues with the field at the Link. I do remember having to cancel a preseason game at the Vet in '01 because they couldn't get the field glued down. That field was ridiculous.

Pitt's field is always horrible, especially by the end of the year. Painted dirt.

Interesting bit in the Sun story:
    Cass said the Ravens will enter a contract with a sod farm in North Carolina and they’ll have a grass field growing there when the season begins. That field will then be used to replace the initial one during the season.
    So they are going to entirely replace the field as it dies off in November? Interesting concept. Sounds expensive. I wonder if it will work, and how long it will last.

All that being said, football should be played on grass IMO.
    "Chin up, chest out."

My only theory (no fact based evidence) would be that they feel the natural turf is more forgiving and could possibly prevent some injuries.
    Having a chunk of sod rip up because your cleat tore it out when being tackled or hit in an awkward way rather than have your cleat dig in and stick causing something in your leg to be the thing that gives out I gotta believe is in the thought train here.

Not sure how a move like this affects the underground heating system thing they have for preventing ice and snow build up will be dealt with or if it still works, etc.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I don't remember Philly having any issues with the field at the Link. I do remember having to cancel a preseason game at the Vet in '01 because they couldn't get the field glued down. That field was ridiculous.

Pitt's field is always horrible, especially by the end of the year. Painted dirt.
    2001 was the tip of the iceberg in Philly. About halfway down this article, they link to the numerous issues they've had at The Link: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ea...dly-atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I was curious so I went out and did a quick Google search: "Problems with <insert city name or team name> grass field."

For Pittsburgh, I found one complaint of the field by Torrey Smith before the playoff game a couple of seasons ago. And then several articles from before 2004 (from my research I found out that Pittsburgh switched to a different blend of Kentucky Bluegrass back around 2005-6).

For both Cleveland and Philadelphia, I found nothing.
    Numerous issues at The Link .... http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ea...dly-atmosphere

And I am not sure what you're seeing on Google but the first 10 articles are about how bad Heinz Field has been the last 15 years ....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3130915

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3456492&hl=en

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...with-bad-grass

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nz-field_x.htm

That took about 35 seconds to find. There are many more detailing how bad Heinz Field has been over the years.