View Poll Results: Would we have won the gam with McNair playing the whole time?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

22 31.43%
  • NO

32 45.71%
  • 9 12.86%
  • 7 10.00%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: If McNair played the whole game today...

I am giving Mac a full year here before I make a final judgement. So far he has played like I have expected, but he still managed to win games.
    Really? Then why make the switch? This was a WIN NOW move. If McNair wasn't going to come in here and give our offense a boost why spend all of that money? A year, you'll wait a year?

Really, we were 5-4 in his rookie season when he went down. Really, 5-3 and in the middle of a very close game. We made the playoffs that year. If the defense steps up against Cincy in 2004 and just stops them once on 4 drives in the last quarter we win that game and go to the playoffs. Last year we were 4-5 in his 9 starts, sticking him with the Irsay game he didn't finish. Anthony Wrong was 2-5 against lesser competition. Boller's losses were all to good teams except the Browns. Wrong lost to Tenn, Detroit, Cincy at home, the Bears (that was a very winnable game).

You can't blame him for last year for missing the playoffs. In 2004 we just need one damn stop. In 2003 we made the playoffs with him making most of the starts.

Again, if the defense can stop Cincy in 2004 he takes us to the playoffs.

Dilfer won a Super Bowl with a 76.6 rating and had more fumbles and INTs than TD passes. BTW, Boller's lifetime rating is 70.0 but his numbers have slightly improved year over year. I htink the guy could get into the 80s. I know your position on the matter.

how many QB's with 69 ratings and career stats near the bottom of the league with more INTS and FUMBLES lost than TD passes are going to lead a team anywhere?
    Then McNair isn't going to do it either. 67 QB rating and 5TD/7INT with 4 fumbles.

And you wonde.......................oh nevermind.

I watch all of the games and I must say McNair has laid more turds on the field this year than I have dropped in Greg's backyard since I arrived.
    Smarter than most Sports Columnists
    Smarter than every Bengals fan
    Craps poop better looking than any Browns fan
    Less inbred than any Steelers fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    So you are tossing out all of McNair's career stats, and focusing only on this season so far, and for Boller focusing only on his last game to make your argument? Kind of short sighted don't you think?
    No, that is not short sighted for people living in the present time. Focusing on Boller's last game makes sense, since that's the only game in which he has had any significant playing time. And McNair's career stats are not that relevant right now, since he seems to be playing much older than his actual age.

Or if he had led the Ravens to a TD ( like Palmer did) to give them the lead instead of his usual field goal you could also say he takes us to the playoffs.
    He actually led drives to two FGs, IIRC. I also recall us getting into FG position and running up the gut 3 times in a row. That isn't Boller's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    However, I think the coaches have little faith in Boller not throwing a stupid pick or fumbling when inside the red zone which we all have seen his propensity to do. Ergo, Billick almost always takes the conservative approach and settles for the FG in a close game.
    Really? That's funny, I haven't noticed the coaches opening up the playbook when McNair is behind center. I haven't noticed any difference in the playcalling with McNair at QB -- in fact, when Boller played on Sunday, the playcalling was less conservative than when McNair was playing.
    Last edited by highwater; 10-17-2006 at 02:25 PM.

He hasn't had over thirty games like Boller.
    He hasn't?

I think he is saying Boller has an advantage with his 30+ Ravens games with players like Travis Taylor and Kevin Johnson. McNair's years of experience with Mason are discounted, however.

Regarding McNair learning the playbook and the routes...

USUALLY (and I'm not saying every team), a passing play has 3 numbers, like "941". These correspond to each route the "X", "Y" and "Z" WR runs. So, in a "941", the "X" WR runs a "9" (fly), the "Y" (or slot) WR runs a "4" (a drag) and the "Z" WR runs a "1" (quick out).

All the other terminology is the pass protections, back's pass protection and maybe an audible call.

McNair should be familar with 95% of the playbook by now. If he wasn't, you'd see more hesitation to his decision making.

McNair's passes are sailing high because he's throwing off his back foot, since 9 times out of 10, he can't step up in the pocket because of Flynn and/or Vincent getting bull-rushed backwards.

BTW, Boller's lifetime rating is 70.0 but his numbers have slightly improved year over year. I htink the guy could get into the 80s.
    We should be looking at recent trends. Forgettabout what Kyle did as a raw rookie, who should have carried the clipboard for a few seasons. He's just now approaching his prime, maybe another season to become an effective well rounded NFL QB. Forgettabout McNair's youthful glory years with the Titans glamour teams and his co-MVP award, before he got old & beaten up, and lost his arm strength.

All you need to know is:

In three of his past four games, Boller's QB rating has been 97 or better.

In McNair's last four games, his QB ratings have steadily fallen from 83.8 to 16.7.

:T2: