Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Wembley was a UKR disaster!

I was going to to run something in the newsletter - after the PIT. game. I thought I'd see how this thread goes to get someone else's perspectives:

From an organisational point it was a shambles, left me feeling like a right prat!

-ve) Gordon's mate - stiffed him for a ticket.
    -ve) Andy B. - could not be bothered to ring :grbac: - even though Simon was ill.
    -ve) Niall and mate, no show - no answer on mobiles / not at hotel.:grbac:
    -ve) Mark T - never sent contact details / not at hotel.:grbac:
    -ve) Had a big bust-up with the wife over the 'spare ticket' saga :(

I spent quite some time before the event, and most of my time on the day running around in f&*king circles, with no positive benefit.

+ve) Met up with Toe and Sue - nice people .
    +ve) Met up with Stockers and his group - same
    +ve) Met up with Gordon and his Katie(?)

Still leaves me wondering if the UKR's is actuallly worth it.:bag: I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't felt the need to do something.

I set out to try to make us better that the average 'fan club' with social interaction, going to games and so on. Wembley left me feeling that that is NOT what most other people want, or are willing to contribute towards. If this is so, it's time to cut my losses - both emotional and financial.
    Last edited by UKRaven; 11-01-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Mistake

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Re: Wembley was a UKR disaster!

When people cannot even reply to emails. Then it sends a pretty clear message of how involved they want to be.

It was a nice dream.But we just don't have more than a few people who really give a toss. I don't know why they cannot find the time to type a simply email to show they exist.But I guess it's the world we live in.

We had our finest hour in Baltimore last year.That was planting the flag at the top of the mountain.

Maybe its time to let it go.And keep it between the few people who really care.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I thought it was the complete opposite. Meeting up with Dave and Toe and finally talking to someone face to face about this team was fantastic. It was great because finally speaking to like minded people face to face made me feel not so much of a tool for all the time's Ive taken Ravens games too seriously.

Re. The spare ticket: I only realised when I got back to the hotel that both you and Toe gave me 70 quid?!?!?! I thought the deal was, you gave me what you got for your ticket (and I got my mate to make up the rest) and Toe paid me for his ticket. So if you could email me your details I can transfer £45 to your account. Or I can do it via postal order if you send me your address.

Believe me Dave the whole experience made me believe even more in the UKRavens and my plan is, after Christmas, to start putting away a little each month for a trip out to the states with you guys (probably not next season but the season after)

What we need to figure out is how many people are willing to make the effort. If it's only four or five of us then so be it. It'll just be the four or five of us.

The game was absolutely dire. I got a lot out of it though. Katie and I had a great time at the game. The experience was fantastic.

Hope this fills your glass half full again.

The idea was that I would take the 'hit' for the ticket, to give you the money to enjoy your weekend with Katie;) . If your 'mate' eventualy does pay for it - then I'll take the balance I lost . But, both Toe and I were in agreement that YOU should not lose out. :hammer:
    ps I won £50 on the Rugby W.C. - so its Karma!!!!

I do agree with Paul that we may need to concentate on the 'core' people -probably four or five of us as before - others seem to be playing a different game :bag: (or not playing at all:bag: ). I'm kinda fed-up with leading the horses to water for them to shit on my foot !!!

I'm up for another trip out to a game when I can afford it (just started a lab job yesterday but it's only temp stuff so not a great deal of money coming in). Sunday was certainly good to meet up with folks again, but the game was awful and didn't match up to even half of a Ravens game. Need to get back out to the Charm City next season or season after. Organising trips for 5 or 6 at a time is worth it even if that's all the UKRavens build to and talking on message boards and e-mails is fine.

If we just have the core group sorting out trips to the States at regular intervals (every other season or so per se), or maybe big group going every three years and some folks going more regularly, then whatever. We'll find a balance and for what it is, it works. If you're not getting back what you want from all your effort Dave then so be it, cut back a little but I think it still works as a smaller group, because to be fair the wider members just read the newsletter and don't respond, no great loss really.

Rambling over, probably gone round in circles :D

Well it's safe to say said mate will be giving me the money. Spoke to him on the phone earlier and gave him a good gutting. As soon as I recieve the money I'll pass it on.

To be fair about the emails, I'm as guilty as anyone for not replying that much - I find it easier to use message boards than send out group emails. Now that I have my username and password for here again I'm checking here at least once a day. Who all is gonna be online for monday night?

On another note about you and Toe. Both Katie and myself enjoyed listening to your stories about previous games. Loved Toe's story about throwing a bottle on beer at a Steelers fan and it hitting a woman.

Not gotta be in the lab until the afternoon on Tuesday so I'll be up and probably online on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Was thinking last night. Why don't the main four or five get roles. This would lighten the load for Dave.

Obviously Dave would be the President - his duty would be to make the final decisions on events and such.

The Secretery would compile the newsletter after recieving info from Dave and the rest of the guys.

The treasurer would deal with things like working out the cheapest way to get to games. i.e. cheap flights, buses, trains.

Obviously we need more roles but this would lighten the load on Dave considerably and would involve us even more which surely would just make us stronger.

Just a thought.......

I'll get my coat

Thanks for the input Gordon.
    I've really no problem with doing the newsletter / trips and so on, but I want to do it for people who give a toss - or more likely I do not want to do for those who don't!!!
    The fact that you guys even posted means there is a heatbeat, and a core whom I hope share my belief in the Ravens and tailgating!!!

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Yep,I'll be up for another trip.I prefer to go over as a group than alone.
    There is more vibe with four than one.

Probably next season is a reach.But the 2009 season there after would be doable.

Obviously we never reached the heights of the Tampa Bay & Miami Dolphin UK fanclubs.But we never intended for that.

Maybe from the ashes do new seeds grow.

Tuesday I have to be up for work.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

12. Re: Wembley was a UKR disaster!

My girlfriend's little sister's boyfriend is a Ravens fan. However he's only 16 at the moment and is very much an armchair fan. I'm hoping at some point he'll develop into a fully fledged Ravens fan.