Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jason La Confora: hy a down season for Ravens may not be a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    In a way - yes.

You figure, without doing anything different, the Ravens get almost $30 mill in cap space because Pitta, Rice, and Ngata will be off the books (assuming they cut Pitta).

That's a lot of squeege to work with.
    You sure?
    AFAIK about 15mil of that goes to Flacco, his cap number does the big balloon in 2016

With Linta it is not going to be an easy negotiation, and us having that "free" money isn't going to help ... I get the sense Flacco actually gets his big payday instead of re-negotiation to a lower number ($28,550,000 cap with $18,000,000 base)

According to this, Joe is the 8th highest paid http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/ and we have him locked up thru 2018 (20mil with about 5 mil prorated)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

You play to win now. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    Name me the QUALITY picks Ozzie has made since he drafted Joe and Rice in 2008. The Ravens had about 60 picks (2009 through 2015) - name the ones that made the Ravens better!
    Just one?

Name me the QUALITY picks Ozzie has made since he drafted Joe and Rice in 2008. The Ravens had about 60 picks (2009 through 2015) - name the ones that made the Ravens better!
    I mean...really?

Paul Kruger
    Lardarius Webb
    Dennis Pitta
    Arthur Jones
    Jimmy Smith
    Torrey Smith
    Pernell McPhee
    Kelechi Osemele
    Brandon Williams
    Ricky Wagner
    CJ Mosley
    Timmy Jernigan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    You sure?
    AFAIK about 15mil of that goes to Flacco, his cap number does the big balloon in 2016

With Linta it is not going to be an easy negotiation, and us having that "free" money isn't going to help ... I get the sense Flacco actually gets his big payday instead of re-negotiation to a lower number ($28,550,000 cap with $18,000,000 base)

According to this, Joe is the 8th highest paid http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/ and we have him locked up thru 2018 (20mil with about 5 mil prorated)
    I was just ball-parking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Dennis Pitta? There's no Super Bowl without him.
    Pitta, Torrey Smith, K.O., Taliaferro, Wagner (2014) on offense.

This wouldn't be sexy or exciting but I could see the team drafting a left tackle with such a high pick.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    ive been on the train (i think riw or bpr got it going)
    that we need either new scouts or better scouting
    Finally, one (or several of you) have nailed it, imo! The scouting system has really been missing of late. There is No reason whatsoever why this team can't continue to succeed (on a regular basis) if "the Process" wasn't sucking air of late.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

The scouting team have missed on playmakers on offense and pass rush and secondary.

The Bengals certainly tried to hand one to the Ravens, too. Cincinnati made bone-headed decisions and suffered breakdowns while failing to put the game out of reach in the first half. They allowed a bizarre TD on a fourth down and forgot how to tackle. Cincy seemed intent on making this a happy home opener for Baltimore.

But each time the Bengals handed it away, the Ravens handed it right back, resulting in a brutal 28-24 loss that left the Ravens the only winless team in their conference. Playoff hopes? This is not a good football team right now, and while the Ravens will win some games and won't be among the dregs of the AFC when the season ends, this also continues to look like a big-time market correction year for one of the league's perennial Super Bowl challengers.

They have massive issues on both sides of the ball, they have suffered a talent drain that has caught up to them, and, frankly, after having to pick so low in the draft for so long, the best thing for this organization might be a 5-11 season that allows them to re-stock through the draft.

While it's not even October yet, I'm comfortable saying that they have glaring needs that will bleed into 2016. This coaching staff and front office is among the most accomplished in the game, and the Ravens won't be down for long. But at 0-3, having to go on the road to Pittsburgh on Thursday night, and with long road trips looming at San Francisco and Arizona in October, they have dug themselves a hole that I don't believe they will be able to fully overcome.

Obviously Thursday is must-win, though it helps to get the Steelers with Michael Vick under center and not Ben Roethlisberger. But the simple fact is this: the Ravens simply cannot match up with any of the more competent offensive teams in the league, and their margin for error is already scant.

Sunday exposed their issues again. Just like the week before in Oakland, they could never get a stop when they needed one once the game opened up in the second half. Their secondary is as brutal as it was a year ago and the loss of Terrell Suggs has sapped them of a pass rush and any remaining sliver of their swagger on D. They have no running game to speak of and the gamble that they could just go into the season with Joe Flacco, Steve Smith and a bunch of unknowns to catch the football has backfired -- quickly and badly.

If the Ravens still had a Ravens defense, they would have found a way to win at least one game thus far. When a lucky bounce negated a Tyler Eifert touchdown Sunday and Andy Dalton telegraphed an interception in the end zone and then held the ball to long resulting in a strip, sack and score -- that would have been enough. They wouldn't have allowed A.J. Green to catch an 80-yard touchdown to immediately answer a Ravens' score.

Their top corner, Jimmy Smith, wouldn't have given up another TD to Green on the next drive on a fade in the end zone. With consistent pressure and the presence of future Hall of Famers like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and Suggs for so long, Green doesn't get 10 catches for 227 yards to go with those touchdowns.

Harbaugh's Ravens aren't good enough on defense to salt away wins anymore.(USATSI)
    This team is all about self-destruction. They accrued 11 penalties in the first 22 minutes alone, including several that extended drives and swung field position, learning nothing from their litany of similar errors from a week ago. In a league as tough and tight as this, you'd better adjust the following week.

On offense, new coordinator Marc Trestman has done nothing to be able to rekindle the rushing attack Gary Kubiak unearthed a year ago. The loss of left tackle Eugene Monroe has loomed large, and they sustain very little on that side of the ball. It's telling that on a day Joe Flacco threw for 362 yards, 13 of his 32 completions went to Steve Smith (for 186 yards), while no one else in this cast of unproven talent had more than three catches or 44 yards. They have nothing close to resembling a legitimate complimentary receiver and if you are banking on Breshad Perriman being that guy whenever he gets back, well, don't hold your breath.

Even if Perriman, their first-round pick, is some sort of factor in the second half of the season, with Smith retiring, receiver remains a pressing need. Pass rush was already a huge need with Suggs and Elvis Dumervil nearing the end. And it's clear a corner and safety remain a need, too.

With GM Ozzie Newsome never willing to spend big in free agency for a receiver before, and with the price of pass rush so ridiculous, the 2016 draft will be paramount. There is too much heart and too many bright minds and too much pride in that organization to have things go so bad that they pick in the top 10. But in the long run, having not been under .500 since 2007, before John Harbaugh arrived, and with this roster clearly in transition, such a finish might be just what they need to get back to where they are accustomed to being.

They've had 54 picks including this year. I would give all of this year's picks a TBD, although Davis is looking like he'll be a big time contributor. Of the other 47 picks, I would say the following 22 are all good draft picks - being at the least a solid contributor for a period. Brooks maybe is still a TBD. Tyrod never got a chance to show what he had here, but he did win the starting position in Buffalo.

Rnd Pick Player
    1 17 C.J. Mosley
    2 48 Timmy Jernigan
    3 79 Terrence Brooks
    3 99 Crockett Gillmore
    4 138 Lorenzo Taliaferro
    5 175 John Urschel
    7 218 Michael Campanaro
    3 94 Brandon Williams
    4 130 Kyle Juszczyk
    5 168 Ricky Wagner
    2 35 Courtney Upshaw