Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Since nobody else will I'm going to start the "RAY LEWIS for Defensive Coordi...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Wait your saying Ray is not an X's and O's type player....the same guy who made filmstudy his alternate religion?

It kinda reminds me of Mike Singletary. I grew up watching him play MLB for the Bears, the dude was a beast but a meh coach. The issue with Singletary was never one of X's and O's it was one of being unable to connect to players. Especially guys who had talent but needed developing, it was just not his mindset. This is an area that perhaps Ray would be much better than Singletary, maybe not but it might be worth a shot if he ever choose to jump into the coaching fray.
    That's not the definition of the phrase "X's and O's". Film study isn't the same as knowing how to scheme up a team, devolving players and creating an overall defensive strategy and playbook.

Ed Reed, by many accounts, was a student of the game in this respect.

Re: Since nobody else will I'm going to start the "RAY LEWIS for Defensive Coordinator" movement

Not sure he's ready lol. Would try him out as a linebackers coach under Martindale or Monachino first.

Re: Since nobody else will I'm going to start the "RAY LEWIS for Defensive Coordinator" movement

Has he married yet, there may be another incentive to draw him back to Baltimore. The man loved his women and children. How many now, LOL. He is a god here in Baltimore, just saying. Hell some guys would love him too. SMH

Re: Since nobody else will I'm going to start the "RAY LEWIS for Defensive Coordi...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's not the definition of the phrase "X's and O's". Film study isn't the same as knowing how to scheme up a team, devolving players and creating an overall defensive strategy and playbook.

Ed Reed, by many accounts, was a student of the game in this respect.
    I was being sarcastic...sry. I get the difference.

Still think Ray has the ability to be a decent coach. Just not sure what incentive is really there for him to want to. He is making more and working less doing media stuff.

Ed on the other hand....
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

They need to go through the ranks before they are just given the position. If we were to base their potential off of their playing career, Mike Singletary should have been a Super Bowl winning Head Coach by now. It's not that simple.

Now, on the other hand, I would be all for looking to Ray and Ed for their opinions on the current state of the defense and the direction it needs to go.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They need to go through the ranks before they are just given the position. If we were to base their potential off of their playing career, Mike Singletary should have been a Super Bowl winning Head Coach by now. It's not that simple.

Now, on the other hand, I would be all for looking to Ray and Ed for their opinions on the current state of the defense and the direction it needs to go.
    this i agree with

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Wait your saying Ray is not an X's and O's type player....the same guy who made filmstudy his alternate religion?

It kinda reminds me of Mike Singletary. I grew up watching him play MLB for the Bears, the dude was a beast but a meh coach. The issue with Singletary was never one of X's and O's it was one of being unable to connect to players. Especially guys who had talent but needed developing, it was just not his mindset. This is an area that perhaps Ray would be much better than Singletary, maybe not but it might be worth a shot if he ever choose to jump into the coaching fray.
    It's just too hard to say how he'd translate as a coordinator with no coaching experience to go by. Sometimes the best leaders, x's & o's guys, etc. on the field are just missing something when it comes to being a head coach or even a coordinator. Singletary is probably one of the better examples of that, since he was a brilliant player mentally as well as physically.

If I'm going to play this fantasy game, I would go with Reed. I just think he has a better mind for it. I don't think either of them have ever had Thanksgiving Dinner with the Harbaughs, so it isn't going to happen. John deserves to hire his own coordinators, but he also deserves to sink or swim with them when he is loyal to a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

Reed could definitely help this secondary.
    Ray could help the LBers
    I think the sword is onto something. I doubt it happens but I like the way you're thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No. He's not going to give up a high paying studio gig with part time hours for a 100 hour a week grind that takes him away from his family.
    This. Plus, how much do you suppose he earns for a one-hour speaking engagement? The money alone makes this a non-starter.

Also, most great players do not make great coaches. Most great coaches were never great players. Anyone want to Google the playing careers of Chuck Pagano, Wade Phillips, or Rex Ryan? It's not like it's impossible, but it is highly, highly unlikely that Ray would be a good DC. And it is even more unlikely that we will ever find out.
    "Chin up, chest out."

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...6-57b81d6146f4

Could be a better DC then " I wet the BED"

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Ray Lewis has never showed any interest in coaching. It's a ton of hours without the pay. He's doing very well in the media. No way he'd give up that easy life.