Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Week 1 - Keys to Winning

Something I thought might be interesting to discuss each week.

What do we have to do to beat the Broncos?

- Make Manning Miserables - the 3 M's. This one seems obvious, "Make the opposing quarterback miserable", but when it comes to Peyton we know first hand what it can do. Just like the playoff game, we have to get to Manning early and often. I'm putting a lot of this on Suggs and Doom, as well as the interior pass rush. I also think this means we need to jam their receivers. Smith should be on Thomas all day, which I think is a favourable match up for us. DT is great, don't get me wrong, but Smith has a good matchup to use his skill set. Worried about Sanders, but I'm hoping Arrington shows his slow skills. Make Peyton wait and jam him with the pass rush.

- Control the LOS - crucial for both sides. Anderson is going to be a hit or miss this season, but if we can control their line (A not very good line IMO), we can limit Anderson and make them throw the ball. On the O side, we'll need ot establish the run, which means controlling the trenches.

- Move the ball early - Denver isn't a team we want to fall behind to and they're going ot be tough to control field position against. Move the ball early, establish the run and then mix it up with the pass game is crucial for this game.

- Smart receiver sets - We don't know what to expect from our receivers outside SSSr. Crucial in that regard is smart game planning by Trestman and using Aiken and Brown to their strengths.

- Safeties keep the play in front of them - They have big play makers in their receiving corp and we have a shaky secondary. Safeties need to keep the play in front of them and protect the game chaning plays. Hoping for a lot from Lewis.

Offensive X-Factor - Kamar Aiken. I think Aiken has a lot more skill then he gets credit for and I think he can be a great possession guy. He needs to take some pressure off SSSr and make them stretch their secondary across the whole field.

Defensive X-Factor - Ladarius Webb. Not my favourite guy to make an X-factor, but I trust Smith to do his job against DT. Webb needs to control the other side. Whether it's Sanders out wide or Latimer. I expect Sanders to work out of the slot, but Webb on the outside is going to be crucial.

Let me know what others have. Thought it'd be fun to compare specific gameplan expectations
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Week 1 - Keys to Winning

Score more points than them....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post

You took my post. It just seemed like a simple plan - and I can relate to that.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

- Make Manning Miserables - the 3 M's. This one seems obvious, "Make the opposing quarterback miserable", but when it comes to Peyton we know first hand what it can do. Just like the playoff game, we have to get to Manning early and often. I'm putting a lot of this on Suggs and Doom, as well as the interior pass rush. I also think this means we need to jam their receivers. Smith should be on Thomas all day, which I think is a favourable match up for us. DT is great, don't get me wrong, but Smith has a good matchup to use his skill set. Worried about Sanders, but I'm hoping Arrington shows his slow skills. Make Peyton wait and jam him with the pass rush.

- Control the LOS - crucial for both sides. Anderson is going to be a hit or miss this season, but if we can control their line (A not very good line IMO), we can limit Anderson and make them throw the ball. On the O side, we'll need ot establish the run, which means controlling the trenches.

- Move the ball early - Denver isn't a team we want to fall behind to and they're going ot be tough to control field position against. Move the ball early, establish the run and then mix it up with the pass game is crucial for this game.

- Smart receiver sets - We don't know what to expect from our receivers outside SSSr. Crucial in that regard is smart game planning by Trestman and using Aiken and Brown to their strengths.

- Safeties keep the play in front of them - They have big play makers in their receiving corp and we have a shaky secondary. Safeties need to keep the play in front of them and protect the game chaning plays. Hoping for a lot from Lewis.

Offensive X-Factor - Kamar Aiken. I think Aiken has a lot more skill then he gets credit for and I think he can be a great possession guy. He needs to take some pressure off SSSr and make them stretch their secondary across the whole field.

Defensive X-Factor - Ladarius Webb. Not my favourite guy to make an X-factor, but I trust Smith to do his job against DT. Webb needs to control the other side. Whether it's Sanders out wide or Latimer. I expect Sanders to work out of the slot, but Webb on the outside is going to be crucial.

Let me know what others have. Thought it'd be fun to compare specific gameplan expectations
    Love the analysis. I'm not sure if I agree about Aiken being that guy but someone has to. I'm leaning towards Gilmore on a play action doing his best Todd Heap impression up the middle. I do think the Broncos are going to creep a safety up to stop Forsett. I could see Gilmore stomping Darian Stewart in that situation and making a big play down field.

I think if we win it will be because of Forsett and the run game. Getting into an air it out kind of shootout is exactly what Manning wants. I don't have high hopes for this game but well see what happens

i think the O line and running game will be fine the problem is going to be converting 3rd downs and getting someone to stretch the field vertically

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    i think the O line and running game will be fine the problem is going to be converting 3rd downs and getting someone to stretch the field vertically
    Maybe Aiken can borrow Perriman's speed for tomorrow LOL

Attack the middle of the field.

The Broncos' strengths are on the outside with their Corners and OLB's while their ILB's struggle in coverage, their NT is just a guy and their Safeties (Ward is suspended) are vulnerable to TE's.

Slow down the Defense.

Everyone knows Trestman loves throwing to RB's but his affinity for screens has been understated. The best way to slow down Wade Phillips' aggressive defense is by making them pay whenever they blitz which is something they didn't do much of last year (See: Texans game)

I'm in the minority but I really think Webby has a good year. His hamstring doesn't seem to be lingering like his back injury last year and he's had a chance to get in shape the last two weeks instead of having to use the regular season to get his feet under him. I'd still prefer Smith shadow Thomas and Arrington stick with Sanders though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Attack the middle of the field.

The Broncos' strengths are on the outside with their Corners and OLB's while their ILB's struggle in coverage, their NT is just a guy and their Safeties (Ward is suspended) are vulnerable to TE's.

Slow down the Defense.

Everyone knows Trestman loves throwing to RB's but his affinity for screens has been understated. The best way to slow down Wade Phillips' aggressive defense is by making them pay whenever they blitz which is something they didn't do much of last year (See: Texans game)

I'm in the minority but I really think Webby has a good year. His hamstring doesn't seem to be lingering like his back injury last year and he's had a chance to get in shape the last two weeks instead of having to use the regular season to get his feet under him. I'd still prefer Smith shadow Thomas and Arrington stick with Sanders though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Minority but not alone. Webb is going to surprise people who forgot how good a CB he actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Here's the area I'm most concerned with. Manning hardly got touched last year. And it wasn't because they had a great OL, it's because he gets rid of the ball so fast. Has Pees ever played press coverage with any regularity? Suggs and Dumervil will be a non-factor if Peyton finds a receiver quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    You took my post. It just seemed like a simple plan - and I can relate to that.
    Dang is third time the charm ?!? Was thinking this when I read the title :)

Anyway ... taking off the Capt Obvious hat ... I'm gonna go with Camp having a breakout game. He is a huge unknown and unlikely IMHO, even though Kubes was here last year, that they are game planning to stop him.

I'm a huge Camp fan 'cause he has a motor that revs non stop at high speed when he is healthy ... if we can catch the Broncs by surprise with Camp, this will bode well for our chances of winning. That and outscore the opponent!

We must smash them. :ww: