Doran Grant, a 4th round CB from this past draft, cut by Steelers. Any interest?

Topic: Doran Grant, worth a claim off of PS?

Must have been pretty bad not to make that secondary. He is now signed back to the practice squad. The coaching under Tomlin has been all around pretty suspect once the Cowher Era players eventually evaporated. A 4th round CB might be a small luxury to pick up for little risk. I wonder if the Ravens had him on their board anywhere. Since 2011 or so, the Steelers have cut quite a few drafted CBs, with few actually making it elsewhere, so that goes against the idea. Maybe there is something missing that we could capitalize on however. They also cut their 7th round DB draftee from this season (something seems off, maybe its just different philosophy). The Ravens would almost never ever cut a 4th rounder. We did oddly come close this year with that O lineman.

If anyone knows anything about his college career please chime in as well. Was a 3rd round prospect in most profiles, almost always considered a top 100 guy. Supposedly played well against some highly drafted WRs including Amari Cooper. He has a lot of starts under him and said to be pretty football smart. How do just cut guys like this? There is a part of an article I found below to try to help unwrap the mystery cut.
    Dump Jackson, pick him up?
    ------------------------------------------

The following is about as negative as I could find on his camp. Its not really negative at all for the most part. Even says 'trending upward'.

Starts here:
    But, in typical Tomlin fashion, Grant’s quiet camp thus far isn’t cause for concern, according to Jacob Klinger of PennLive.com.

“He was able to focus solely on special teams in the first game. He played extensively, probably more than anybody else in that area. Now we’re going to let him participate on special teams and defense.”

Pittsburgh’s stable of cornerbacks is fairly deep, and Grant probably didn’t figure to have much of a shot at securing more than the No. 5 spot, anyway. However, Grant appears to be trending upward and should see some defensive snaps this Friday night in Jacksonville. Pittsburgh’s top four cornerbacks – William Gay, Cortez Allen, Brandon Boykin and Antwan Blake – should be pretty much firmly assured of roles for the upcoming season, so many of Grant’s contributions will likely come on special teams this season.

The fourth-round pick doesn’t appear to be in danger of being cut, and since Tomlin played Grant in more special teams snaps than anyone, perhaps that’s how the young defensive back will have to earn his keep.
    EDIT NOTE: CB Antwan Blake was totally lost in space on Thursday's game at Gillette.
    Last edited by alienstar; 09-11-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Re: Doran Grant, a 4th round CB from this past draft, cut by Steelers. Any interest?

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    Topic: Doran Grant, worth a claim off of PS?

Must have been pretty bad not to make that secondary. He is now signed back to the practice squad. The coaching under Tomlin has been all around pretty suspect once the Cowher Era players eventually evaporated. A 4th round CB might be a small luxury to pick up for little risk. I wonder if the Ravens had him on their board anywhere. Since 2011 or so, the Steelers have cut quite a few drafted CBs, with few actually making it elsewhere, so that goes against the idea. Maybe there is something missing that we could capitalize on however. They also cut their 7th round DB draftee from this season (something seem off, maybe its just different philosophy). The Ravens would almost never ever cut a 4th rounder. We did oddly come close this year with that O lineman.

If anyone knows anything about his college career please chime in as well. Was a 3rd round prospect in most profiles.
    I'm no prospect evaluation expert, but as an OSU alum I pay more attention to OSU football than other college football... I didn't ever think there was anything too special about Grant.

I think that Pit has a tendency to overdraft OSU products.

Blog Entries

Re: Doran Grant, a 4th round CB from this past draft, cut by Steelers. Any interest?

We talked about this in the "Interesting Cuts From Other Teams".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We talked about this in the "Interesting Cuts From Other Teams".

Thank you. I will check it out.

Blog Entries

Frankly, I don't think it speaks very highly of Grant if he couldn't make the Steeler's squad. Even on the PS.

Their secondary is bad. Their best player is William Gay and he is average. Making things worse is they have to run him in the nickel because they don't have anyone else.

So either Grant did something pretty heinous to warrant him not even getting a PS invite. Or he is just THAT bad.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

This guy is so bad the Steelers elected to play with 10 at points against the Cheatriots rather than have him on the field.

If I remember correctly, this was the pick that many of the talking heads were blasting. Some saying he was expected to go undrafted.

Personally, I wanted him. I thought he was a great developmental player (a lot like Walker), but I agree, if he can't make the Steelers I dont want him. The Steelers are one of the few teams that rival us in drafting ability
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Hell No!

I wouldn't even consider it.

The Steelers signed Grant to their Practice Squad.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    The Steelers signed Grant to their Practice Squad.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    So is he their ASA now.