Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Magee Signed to 53-man Roster

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I completely agree. Magee was not a great college player either. He's all hustle and little talent.

Allen was completely unimpressive in the preseason.

I really hope Forsett isn't pushed into 20+ carriers a game because he's the only effective player at the position. Taliaferro did a nice job last year. He better not miss too much time.
    I agree with this.

I'm optimistic of Allen though. I think he just needs some time. Really wish Tally was ready to go, but I just have that feeling we'll be surprised with Allen
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I agree with this.

I'm optimistic of Allen though. I think he just needs some time. Really wish Tally was ready to go, but I just have that feeling we'll be surprised with Allen
    Yea I feel the same way. I think that Buck Allen will be much better than people expect based on his preseason.

Little time will tell but I think people will be pleased with him
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I agree with this.

The backup/patchwork 2nd/3rd string OL looked particularly horrible this preseason, both in pass pro and run blocking. It's hard to get a clear read on either of these guys. It's amazing how much better a running back becomes with Marshal Yanda's ass in front of him.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    So the UDFA streak continues .......
    Looks real encougaging right now, we'll know for sure at kickoff
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I completely agree. Magee was not a great college player either. He's all hustle and little talent.
    GOTA, I know you put some good stuff up here, but I DETEST statements like this as fact. I don't think it's fair or accurate to say he wasn't a good college player or that he possesses little talent.

This wasn't a player who was a backup at Oregon State, he was a backup at LSU...a perennial top 5 program.

Magee played somewhat sparingly as a freshman RB, got switched to WR due to depth at the RB as a sophomore, then got switched back to RB as a Junior where he was the 2nd string RB behind Jeremy Hill and ahead of Alfred Blue (two of the 32 week 1 starters). He averaged 7.3 YPC and scored 8 TDs as a backup in 2013. In 2014, as a senior, he again found himself #2 on the depth chart behind Fournette (a super freshman projected as a future early round pick). He rushed for 571 yards, 3 TD, 5.1 YPC and caught 17 passes as a backup.

Magee went undrafted for a reason. As you mentioned, his ceiling isn't particularly high and he didn't have a lot of game film at LSU. In today's NFL though, there will always be room for a back who can get you the tough inside yardage, and Magee might be able to carve out a spot in the league both this year and in the future if he can do that one component effectively. He's also got a lot of tread on his tires, having been given so few carries at LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    So the UDFA streak continues .......
    And lets not forget Ozzie's already turned one UDFA (Easton) into a 7th round pic...possibly.

Luke, Gota is a huge LSU fan, so I know that he has a good idea about Magee. No disrespect meant.

The problem is Tali and Magee are the same. Short yardage backs and thats it. So once Tali is cleared......maybe moot anyway as I agree that Buck is gonna overshadow Forsett before the end of the season. Maybe even get the majority of carries down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensZ06 View Post
    The problem is Tali and Magee are the same. Short yardage backs and thats it. So once Tali is cleared......maybe moot anyway as I agree that Buck is gonna overshadow Forsett before the end of the season. Maybe even get the majority of carries down the stretch.
    It's probably fair to still call Taliaferro a power back, but he has a completely altered sculpted physique. Lost 8 pounds, but he's a lot leaner and meaner. The injury may have reduced his chances to produce a big season, but I expect him to be effective in more than just short yardage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    GOTA, I know you put some good stuff up here, but I DETEST statements like this as fact. I don't think it's fair or accurate to say he wasn't a good college player or that he possesses little talent.

This wasn't a player who was a backup at Oregon State, he was a backup at LSU...a perennial top 5 program.

Magee played somewhat sparingly as a freshman RB, got switched to WR due to depth at the RB as a sophomore, then got switched back to RB as a Junior where he was the 2nd string RB behind Jeremy Hill and ahead of Alfred Blue (two of the 32 week 1 starters). He averaged 7.3 YPC and scored 8 TDs as a backup in 2013. In 2014, as a senior, he again found himself #2 on the depth chart behind Fournette (a super freshman projected as a future early round pick). He rushed for 571 yards, 3 TD, 5.1 YPC and caught 17 passes as a backup.

Magee went undrafted for a reason. As you mentioned, his ceiling isn't particularly high and he didn't have a lot of game film at LSU. In today's NFL though, there will always be room for a back who can get you the tough inside yardage, and Magee might be able to carve out a spot in the league both this year and in the future if he can do that one component effectively. He's also got a lot of tread on his tires, having been given so few carries at LSU.
    The 1 team in college football that I know very well is LSU. I've seen most of their games over the past 20 years. That doesn't mean I'm right but I did see all those carries that you are referencing for Magee as they happened. He's a powerful player who likes to surprise defenders the same way Maurice Jones-Drew used to but he lacks speed and wiggle. Jeremy Hill had the same strength plus vision, plus incredibly nimble feet. Alfred Blue was a good downhill runner with monster size. Leonard Fornette is out of this world. As long as he's healthy and doesn't do anything stupid off the field he'll be a 1st round pick.

When you watch those guys plus all the other guys LSU from over the years like Spencer Ware, Steven Ridley and Joseph Addai, Magee just doesn't measure up but his heart is as big any player. I don't think anyone works harder than Terrence Magee. I still don't quite see him as a NFL player but sure am rooting for him.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Mark Higgs of the Dolphins but Magee runs exactly like him. Higgs was another player that was a real longshot for the NFL but he proved he belonged. 20+ years later I still remember him which means he did work hard enough to leave an impact.

The 1 team in college football that I know very well is LSU. I've seen most of their games over the past 20 years. That doesn't mean I'm right but I did see all those carries that you are referencing for Magee as they happened. He's a powerful player who likes to surprise defenders the same way Maurice Jones-Drew used to but he lacks speed and wiggle. Jeremy Hill had the same strength plus vision, plus incredibly nimble feet. Alfred Blue was a good downhill runner with monster size. Leonard Fornette is out of this world. As long as he's healthy and doesn't do anything stupid off the field he'll be a 1st round pick.

When you watch those guys plus all the other guys LSU from over the years like Spencer Ware, Steven Ridley and Joseph Addai, Magee just doesn't measure up but his heart is as big any player. I don't think anyone works harder than Terrence Magee. I still don't quite see him as a NFL player but sure am rooting for him.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Mark Higgs of the Dolphins but Magee runs exactly like him. Higgs was another player that was a real longshot for the NFL but he proved he belonged. 20+ years later I still remember him which means he did work hard enough to leave an impact.
    Guys with Magee's physique can surprise people. Anyone that short with legs that big, with a constant motor, is just not easy to tackle. I actually think Tali has the characteristics of a feature back but Magee is the guy who is going to be that short yardage or goal line terror. If a DT or DE doesn't get him low and direct he will bounce or tunnel into the end zone. Magee has that determination to get that first down that has been lacking on the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    Guys with Magee's physique can surprise people. Anyone that short with legs that big, with a constant motor, is just not easy to tackle. I actually think Tali has the characteristics of a feature back but Magee is the guy who is going to be that short yardage or goal line terror. If a DT or DE doesn't get him low and direct he will bounce or tunnel into the end zone. Magee has that determination to get that first down that has been lacking on the Ravens.
    I agree. MJD is a guy who certainly surprised. Magee isn't going to be a Bernard Pierce and sleepwalk through this opportunity. He's going to give it everything he has. I still need to see it in a real game but I am very much hoping that I underestimated his ability. LSU players don't often make the Ravens so I'm always happy to see my favorite school represented on my favorite team.