Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should we get Matt Schaub?

And if so, what would you give up for him?

Obviously we're in a tough situation with that. I think we won't do it, but I'd really like to see it. If McNair shows trouble playing and loses his touch to "come back" from the deficits, then we're in the same spot we were last year with Boller. On top of that, we need someone for the future, and I don't think anyone here wants to give Boller another shot just because he got to watch McNair play for a little while.

Schaub has shown a lot in the limitted playing time he's had. He doesn't look like a world beater, but what he can do is manage the game very efficiently. He can move the ball and he doesn't make mistakes.

And that's all we need. Our running game is adequate and our receivers are finally good. If we had a QB that could manage a game well, our offense could be generating 24ish PPG. With our defense, that's all we need.

What would I give up to get him? Tough decision, especially since we already gave up a 4th rounder for McNair. Atl needs receivers, which we certainly aren't going to give. We have a lot of depth at LB and DL which is an area Atl could use. Who could we afford to give?

Adalius (Mike Smith takes his place)? That'd probably be a pretty fair trade, actually.

Franklin and a 3rd rounder?

Something else?

- C -

Re: Should we get Matt Schaub?

Trading adalius is insane

No way you give up AD for a virtually unproven guy.

Mike Smith has looked great in preseason but you dont give up a special player like AD and just hope that he can fill in.

McNair will get it together. Trust me, he missed minicamps, and a lot of time he could have spent learning the playbook was wasted while he was in TN but it was clear he wouldnt be for long. Just keep the faith and Steve will come through.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

I'm concerned less about this year than I am next and/or the following when McNair leaves.

Garrard is a reasonable option too. But I think Schaub is going to be a very solid QB starter in the league somewhere (ala Delhomme). He's a guy that I'm afraid anyone who's looking for a long term answer at QB will look back on and say "why didn't we go get that guy for the price we could have had him for?"

Schaub's value is higher than you think duffy. He's not unproven. He doesn't have a ton of starting experience. But he's gotten playing time, and he's played well in that time. I don't think it'll be a lot to sign him. Maybe Adalius is too steep and we could get a third or fourth rounder to go with it. But Schaub isn't gonna be let go for nothing.

- C -

Schaub was as good as Philp Rivers in college. Both ACC guys who put up similar numbers; Schaub has ALWAYS been a good QB. He was one of the better QB's to play in the ACC. I never understood why Rivers was regarded so much higher than Schaub coming out of college.

Per Wikipedia:

"Matt Schaub finished his college career with at least 22 school records. He played in a record 40 games at the quarterback position and finished his career as one of the most accurate passers in Atlantic Coast Conference history (.670 career completion percentage). His Virginia statistics included school career records for yards passing (7502), touchdown passes (56), completions (716), attempts (1069), completion percentage (.670), 300-yard games (8), and 200-yard games (20)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub

I'm not one to jump on the Schaub bandwagon, but I think he'll be a good starter.

We need a future QB for this team. I want McNair to succeed as much as the next guy, but Schaub would be a great pickup for the future. I think KB needs a change of scenery, though I think he'll be good as well.

He's got all the tools. He's big, strong, intelligent, and a great arm. He has that poise that the great ones have. I'd put money down that hes going to be a legitimate NFL starter.

I don't see it happening unless McNair retires within 2 years. The FO would NEVER pickup Schaub as long as McNair is here.

He's got all the tools. He's big, strong, intelligent, and a great arm. He has that poise that the great ones have. I'd put money down that hes going to be a legitimate NFL starter.

I don't think he will be. I don't agree that he's intelligent...he's not a good decision-maker. He consistently makes poor decisions on where to go with the football, and hasn't shown a knack for learning from his mistakes.

Additionally, he's an inaccurate passer. Very little can change this...it's not a trait that you can coach out of someone.

Basically, Boller's the worst kind of situation. He's a terrific guy with tons of heart that you want to root for, but just can't perform. I think he'll be a good backup the whole way, but that's about it.

- C -

7. Re: Should we get Matt Schaub?

NO!! :insane:

Not really sure where you're getting that he's an inaccurate passer. Over 60% for college. Not intelligent? Where are you getting this? These are the type of qualitative attributes that are difficult to evaluate at this point in his career, UNLESS you're going off of his college stats.

Well, he was accurate in college. From my memory watching him at UVA, he was a solid decision-maker with poise.

My point about Schaub is that I would RATHER take a chance on him than go to the draft and gamble. At this point, Tyler Palko is the only guy I'd take later in the draft to be the QB of the future for the Ravens. But if I had a choice between him and Schaub, who has shown he can play in this league, I take Schaub.

I'm not love crazy over Schaub, I just think he's got what it takes. Big guy with a pedigree and good intangibles. He's also had big preseasons and has looked good when he has come in for Vick.

Why?

Do you honestly still believe that it is the QB posistion by itself that is holding this offense back? Former MVPs like McNair are putting up stats comparable to career back-ups like Anthony Wright.

I think Schaub will be a decent to good QB in this league, but no QB will look good in this system. Save our trades for something that will help us.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Sorry Boogy, your previous paragraph to the one I was talking about was speaking to Boller, and you didn't note the switch so I thought you were still talking about Boller, not back to talking about Schaub. I don't think Schaub is inaccurate or not intelligent...I was talking about Boller.

And we're in agreement...I'd love to get Schaub in here rather than a draft pick.

Do you honestly still believe that it is the QB posistion by itself that is holding this offense back? Former MVPs like McNair are putting up stats comparable to career back-ups like Anthony Wright.
    Yes, I believe it's the QB position. I believe McNair has lost a lot of arm strength, as evidenced by the fact that he's coming up short on a lot of his passes. Receivers have to go low for the ball, he's not hitting guys in stride, balls bounce in front of his receivers, etc.

This system may not be the greatest one out there. But if we had a QB that could consistently get the ball to receivers then we'd have an offense good enough to support this defense the way it deserves to be.

Look at the Bears. They've finally got a QB. You think it's by mistake that they're leading the league in points scored and second in scored against, with Grossman looking all world?

- C -

Look at the Bears. They've finally got a QB. You think it's by mistake that they're leading the league in points scored and second in scored against, with Grossman looking all world?
    You know the same Grossman that was about to get run out of town by the fans?

While I still think that Kyle could possibly develop into a legitimate quarterback, I kind of doubt that the team's going to give him another chance. One thing, however, is clear: this team needs to pony up and get a quarterback for the future. I'm not talking about another aging veteran or third-round, mediocre quarterback, either.

I know the Boller experiment probably left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, but this team needs to draft another quarterback high in the first round either this year, or the year after that. I'm sick of the constant controversy and doubt surrounding the single most important position on the grid iron. More or less every playoff team in the NFL has gotten its franchise quarterback high in the draft, with Tom Brady being the most noteworthy exception.

Look around the league- Eagles, Colts, Giants, Chargers, Jaguars, Bengals, Steelers, 49ers, Cardinals... all of these teams have first round quarterbacks, and I'd bet my house that all of them are set at the quarterback position for a loooong time.

We need to follow suit.

I want the Ravens to draft Drew Stanton or Brian Brohm or SOMEONE this year, have him sit behind McNair for a year, and then put him out on the field and have him throw the damned ball down the field.