Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: CONCUSSION: A Movie That Could Rock The NFL

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Another way it could "rock the league" is by putting off the undertapped demographics that the owners are counting on to increase their profits. Remind women & Latinos (neither of whom are attracted to violence in their sports of choice) that football is an inherently violent game that injures its players & they are going to turn it off.
    Latinos are big fans of boxing, but I guess that doesn't count as violent?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Per the NYT, the movie was heavily edited as to not antagonize the NFL.

Loba, your wishes of a Michael Moore style exposé (all fluf, no substance) are coming true!
    Classic "have you stopped beating your wife" style comment, HR. I would expect no less from you--well played!

I don't consider Michael Moore's documentaries "all fluf [sic], no substance". But you might be right about this flick.

I can understand the filmmakers not wanting to "go to the mattresses" with a multibillion-dollar industry by threatening to break its rice bowl. The question in is what sort of brainwash--um, 'scuze me, whitewash--the league demanded.

I'll hazard a wild-arsed guess that the owners are portrayed as noble, even saintly, in their desire for the best for all players, & the major struggle is to somehow get past a bunch of "a few bad apples" (all made-up characters of course, with "no resemblance to any real person living or dead") who undertake thuggery in a mistaken effort to "protect the game"--& that once this happens, the owners of course immediately acknowledge the problem & its severity & pledge to do their utmost to remedy it.

(TL;DR version: We didn't know, we'll fix it, nothing to see here folks, move on....)

If the above is anywhere within shouting distance of the screenplay, you can expect the majority of reviewers to rip the crap out of "Concussion" for arrant pusillanimity, with unflattering comparisons to, e.g., documentaries re smoking & cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You me like killing the missionary? Nah, I don't think it sounds like that at all.
    I didn't want to go here, but for the benefit of the willfully obtuse, I'll swap it around: devout Christians in a predominately Christian country reacting to a Muslim missionary trying to convert their kids. Think you might be able to get the point now?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Latinos are big fans of boxing, but I guess that doesn't count as violent?
    How many Latino boxers are there, particularly in the lighter weights? How many are "big fans of boxing" in support of their fellow ethnics?
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Loba ... How about an edit on those last two quotes? I didn't make those claims. Someone else did.

Blog Entries

Loba ... How about an edit on those last two quotes? I didn't make those claims. Someone else did.
    If you mean the last two quote balloons in my post, they show up quite clearly in my browser attributed to "blah3". If that's not the case for you or anyone else, well...wait for it...Houston, we have a problem...:D
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

:word

And the concussion suit is pretty much settled anyway, so there's not going to be any "rocked" league.
    This movie will do nothing to hurt the NFL.

Just like boxing, you have to be somewhat dense to think that "No one knew" repeated head trauma wasn't good for you. Sure we didn't have as much public outcry from the media, but Head trauma = possible brain damage isnt rocket science.

Everyone knows football can lead to injuries, but I seriously doubt ppl will stop playing it.