Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How the roster is shaping up with one game to go.

This is just pure speculation, but here's how I see it breaking down.

QB (2)-
    Flacco, Schaub (all locks)

RB (4)- Forsett, Taliaferro, Allen, Juzcyzk (all locks)

TE (3)- Gillmore, Williams, Boyle (all locks)

OL (8)- Monroe, Osemele, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner, Urschel (all locks) Hurst, Jensen (in)
    I will put Myers and Reid in the overflow pool of players who are in competition for the last handful of spots. Jensen gets in by a respectable pre-season and overall versatility. Jensen's ability to play RT makes Reid expendable. Reid doesn't play center and doesn't really play any OL position well. He appears to be 5th on the OG depth chart and 4th at highest on the OT depth chart at best (not even factoring Yanda's RT ability)

WR (5)- Smith Sr, Perriman, Marlon, Aiken (locks) Campanaro (near lock)
    Butler and Waller go into the overflow pool.

DL (7)- Davis, Jernigan, B. Williams, Canty (locks) Guy (near lock) two out of KLM/Tyson/Bilukidi (let's say it's Tyson and KLM)
    Bilukidi goes into the overflow pool

LB (8)- Suggs, Doom, D-Smith, Mosley, Upshaw, Z-Smith, Arthur Brown, McClellan/Orr (let's say it's Orr)
    The loser of the McClellan/Orr battle as well as Means and Beyer go into the overflow pool

CB (5)- Webb, J-Smith, Arrington (locks) Melvin, Vaughn (near locks)
    Pointer, Asa, and Tray Walker go into the overflow pool

S (3)- Brooks, Lewis, Hill (all locks)
    Levine, Perry, and Trawick go into the overflow pool

ST(3)- Cox, Koch, Tucker (all locks)

That's 48 spots, leaving 5 open for the following 13 players:

I've highlighted the players that I think will make those last 5 spots, as well as other designations

Waller

Butler (practice squad)
    Robert Myers (IR)
    Jah Reid (cut)
    Bilukidi
    Means (IR)
    McClellan
    Beyer (practice squad)
    Asa Jackson (cut)
    Pointer
    Walker (IR)
    Levine
    Trawick (cut)
    Perry (practice squad)

IR: Means, Walker, Myers, Elam

PUP:Pitta

IR/DFR: If Urban goes on this list, which is quite iffy, I think Bilukidi gets cut and then re-signed the day after the final roster cut down.

In addition to Butler, Beyer, and Perry, I also see Magee, Daniel Brown, Easton, Claudill, Kaleb Johnson taking up 4 of the remaining 7 spots.

My hardest decision was Pointer vs. Asa Jackson vs. Trey "Don't mistake me for Frank" Walker. I chose Pointer, who IMO is the more polished corner.

Re: How the roster is shaping up with one game to go.

I'd rather have Walker on the team as the 6th guy and PS Pointer ( thought I do like Pointer). Walker has a lot of great attributes, he needs ot be developed. Sitting on IR does no one any good and some shitty team will snatch him off PS. Pointer isn't better to warrant sitting him for a year or risking losing him on IR.

Waller definitly makes this team.

Levine definitly makes this team.

I'd cut Art Brown and keep Orr and Mclellan for ST.

Giving me:

QB (2)- Flacco, Schaub

RB (4)- Forsett, Taliaferro, Allen, Juice

TE (3)- Gillmore, Williams, Boyle

OL (8)- Monroe, Osemele, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner, Urschel, Hurst, Jensen

WR (6)- Smith Sr, Perriman, Marlon, Aiken, Campanaro, Waller

= 23 O

DL (7)- Davis, Jernigan, B. Williams, Canty, Guy, KLM, Tyson

LB (8)- Suggs, Doom, D-Smith, Mosley, Upshaw, Z-Smith, McClellan, Orr

CB (6)- Webb, J-Smith, Arrington, Melvin, Vaughn, Walker

S (5)- Brooks, Lewis, Hill, Levine, Trawick

= 26 D

ST(3)- Cox, Koch, Tucker, Free agent return man (preferably a WR)

= 4 ST
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'd rather have Walker on the team as the 6th guy and PS Pointer ( thought I do like Pointer). Walker has a lot of great attributes, he needs ot be developed. Sitting on IR does no one any good and some shitty team will snatch him off PS. Pointer isn't better to warrant sitting him for a year or risking losing him on IR.

Waller definitly makes this team.

Levine definitly makes this team.

I'd cut Art Brown and keep Orr and Mclellan for ST.

Giving me:

QB (2)- Flacco, Schaub

RB (4)- Forsett, Taliaferro, Allen, Juice

TE (3)- Gillmore, Williams, Boyle

OL (8)- Monroe, Osemele, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner, Urschel, Hurst, Jensen

WR (6)- Smith Sr, Perriman, Marlon, Aiken, Campanaro, Waller

= 23 O

DL (7)- Davis, Jernigan, B. Williams, Canty, Guy, KLM, Tyson

LB (8)- Suggs, Doom, D-Smith, Mosley, Upshaw, Z-Smith, McClellan, Orr

CB (6)- Webb, J-Smith, Arrington, Melvin, Vaughn, Walker

S (5)- Brooks, Lewis, Hill, Levine, Trawick

= 26 D

ST(3)- Cox, Koch, Tucker, Free agent return man (preferably a WR)

= 4 ST
    We are on the same page in a lot of areas, however, let me add this:

If we add a FA return guy, it's likely going to be after the 53 man first is introduced, so you can likely add one more on for now.

I don't believe Pointer is PS eligible. He's 27 and 2015 marks his 4th year since his draft class, which I think makes him ineligible (I'm sure Ravor knows this better than I do)

I just don't see Arthur Brown getting cut. If the Ravens kept Terrence Cody and Kruger (2nd rounders who were either bad or limited in use for their first two years), I don't see Brown going away. I think the Ravens are peculiarly down on him for some reason, but I don't think he has played that poorly overall. Maybe if we can trade him to the Raiders (who have a sick fascination with speed) for a 6th rounder, all parties would be happy (and no, I don't think there's much of a chance of this happening). Seriously though, if in the remote scenario that the Ravens are considering cutting him, I think a trade is tried first. Brown is 28 months removed from being drafted in the 2nd round and is fully healthy, so I think he still has some trade value.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

QB (2)-

RB (4)- Forsett, Taliaferro, Allen, Juzcyzk (all locks)

TE (3)- Gillmore, Williams, Boyle (all locks)

OL (8)- Monroe, Osemele, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner, Urschel (all locks) Hurst, Jensen (in)
    I will put Myers and Reid in the overflow pool of players who are in competition for the last handful of spots. Jensen gets in by a respectable pre-season and overall versatility. Jensen's ability to play RT makes Reid expendable. Reid doesn't play center and doesn't really play any OL position well. He appears to be 5th on the OG depth chart and 4th at highest on the OT depth chart at best (not even factoring Yanda's RT ability)

WR (5)- Smith Sr, Perriman, Marlon, Aiken (locks) Campanaro (near lock)
    Butler and Waller go into the overflow pool.

DL (7)- Davis, Jernigan, B. Williams, Canty (locks) Guy (near lock) two out of KLM/Tyson/Bilukidi (let's say it's Tyson and KLM)
    Bilukidi goes into the overflow pool

LB (8)- Suggs, Doom, D-Smith, Mosley, Upshaw, Z-Smith, Arthur Brown, McClellan/Orr (let's say it's Orr)
    The loser of the McClellan/Orr battle as well as Means and Beyer go into the overflow pool

CB (5)- Webb, J-Smith, Arrington (locks) Melvin, Vaughn (near locks)
    Pointer, Asa, and Tray Walker go into the overflow pool

S (3)- Brooks, Lewis, Hill (all locks)
    Levine, Perry, and Trawick go into the overflow pool

ST(3)- Cox, Koch, Tucker (all locks)

That's 48 spots, leaving 5 open for the following 13 players:

I've highlighted the players that I think will make those last 5 spots, as well as other designations

Waller

Butler (practice squad)
    Robert Myers (IR)
    Jah Reid (cut)
    Bilukidi
    Means (IR)
    McClellan
    Beyer (practice squad)
    Asa Jackson (cut)
    Pointer
    Walker (IR)
    Levine
    Trawick (cut)
    Perry (practice squad)

IR: Means, Walker, Myers, Elam

PUP:Pitta

IR/DFR: If Urban goes on this list, which is quite iffy, I think Bilukidi gets cut and then re-signed the day after the final roster cut down.

In addition to Butler, Beyer, and Perry, I also see Magee, Daniel Brown, Easton, Claudill, Kaleb Johnson taking up 4 of the remaining 7 spots.

My hardest decision was Pointer vs. Asa Jackson vs. Trey "Don't mistake me for Frank" Walker. I chose Pointer, who IMO is the more polished corner.
    Walker and Myers likely make it, imo, rather than IR. Id say Vaughn and Tyson to IR would be my guess. Otherwise I cant really argue with anything. I still think they find a way for 7 WRs, but personally id rather cut butler to keep another OL or DL as well.
    -JAB

I think McGee will make the initial 53 but will be sent to the PS once Taliaferro is healthy. I don't think the Ravens want to carry only healthy 2 RBs (Forsett, Allen) because neither of those guys are goal line backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I think McGee will make the initial 53 but will be sent to the PS once Taliaferro is healthy. I don't think the Ravens want to carry only healthy 2 RBs (Forsett, Allen) because neither of those guys are goal line backs.
    Could definitly see this
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Looks like a good list. But I don't see Asa Jackson getting cut. I have to think they keep as many CBs as possible who showed signs of play-making ability.

I'm rooting for Magee, Easton, and Nelson. I don't know if any of them will make it but I liked what I saw from all three so far this preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QB (2)-

Good list. I agree with you on Jah Reid; funny, he was being talked about as a lock a couple weeks ago, but even if he was actually a good player, there is no way you can count on him to be healthy.

Whom do you see as the primary returner given that you're cutting Asa? My guess is that someway Asa makes this roster. He's as good as any other bottom-of-the-roster CB (which is to say, not very good) and he brings return ability (along with questionable decision-making.) If we get another returner, then yes, I think he's gone, but otherwise, he's gotta stay here for return depth if nothing else.

I just don't see Arthur Brown getting cut. If the Ravens kept Terrence Cody and Kruger (2nd rounders who were either bad or limited in use for their first two years), I don't see Brown going away. I think the Ravens are peculiarly down on him for some reason, but I don't think he has played that poorly overall. Maybe if we can trade him to the Raiders (who have a sick fascination with speed) for a 6th rounder, all parties would be happy (and no, I don't think there's much of a chance of this happening). Seriously though, if in the remote scenario that the Ravens are considering cutting him, I think a trade is tried first. Brown is 28 months removed from being drafted in the 2nd round and is fully healthy, so I think he still has some trade value.
    I would not be surprised to see Brown get cut. Cody got some snaps during his time here, and even though he didn't play well, he had size, which you can't coach. He was a space-eater (and donut, bacon, everything else-eater) at the very least. Kruger was ping-ponged around positionally, but I never got the sense they were displeased with his performance. They just struggled to figure out where he fit in to the defense.

The difference with Brown is that he has done absolutely zero, and can't even seem to get past two UDFAs on the depth chart. I hoped it was just special-teams related, but now I really don't think so. He started with the twos last week, but think that was less a reflection of him passing McClellan (who did get abused in pass coverage the previous week) than it was them trying a) showcase Brown for a trade and b) give him one last chance to prove himself.

My observations of his play differ from yours. To my eyes, he really has been that horrible. Watching his footwork last week, he tippy-toed everywhere he went, like he didn't want to tackle or make a play or get involved in any way. Most plays he has made this preseason have been well past the LoS. You hate to give up on a second rounder, but if the coaches are seeing what I'm seeing, that dude is nothing but dead weight at this point.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Tough to determine who makes the team.
    The Ravens haven't come out of that 4th Preseason game yet.

And that's when a myriad of mysterious "injuries" can occur...

:liar:

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Walker and Myers likely make it, imo, rather than IR. Id say Vaughn and Tyson to IR would be my guess. Otherwise I cant really argue with anything. I still think they find a way for 7 WRs, but personally id rather cut butler to keep another OL or DL as well.
    I think Myers will make it before Reid, but I do think he's a perfect candidate for IR, since he has had a legitimate injury all season. With Myers, we have some hope that he can be a useful, decent NFL lineman. I think that ship has sailed on Jah.

I also think Vaughn is pretty safe. I don't even have him as bubble type player. After last year's disaster at CB, having a veteran who:

a) has documented experience
    b) is in his prime and inexpensive
    c)totally healthy and has a history of being durable
    d) has played well in the preseason

makes him awfully hard to cut

I still hate the phantom IR, and I'd be pissed if we put Walker there. He's a guy that needs the practice reps if he's going to continue to improve. Putting him on IR stunts that development. We knew picking him that he was going to be a bit of a project. I highly doubt we're going to delay that and fake an injury for him. So long as he's healthy, he's on this team.