Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Stadium Wifi experiences?

speaking as a "tech guy"- your carrier definitely should not work if your using the web or apps (with regards to wifi). And the people saying "I was able to text really well using wifi..."- text messaging uses your carrier's signal- so the wifi is irrelevant in terms of how well you can text- except for the fact that the Ravens are hoping that a bunch of people use the wifi to help take the load off of the carrier's networks, which will help alleviate some of the log jam issues.

That being said- I was at the game- I thought the wifi was fine in 513- but it was pre-season, and the stadium was 40% empty at most times- so not a great test.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Maybe someone with an IT background can answer this but would the carrier matter for shoddy WiFi?

WiFi is separate from your CDMA or GSM signal. Seems to me the issue is either the WIFi signal getting overwhelmed or a hardware issue like your device.
    There are two major issues with putting 500+ access points in a stadium. The Access Points have to deal with interference (from each other and from outside frequencies), and contention (too many devices sending packets to a limited number of channels on a single access point). You can have all the bandwidth in the world, but if you have access points that are dealing with contention and interference issues, they aren't worth a shit.

This new WiFi network will be fine if they have a team of engineers working on getting the channel plan and overlaps tuned properly. If they just slapped a few hundred AP's up randomly and don't plan on tuning and tweaking the network then it will never work right.

I will say this... years ago cell coverage was horrible in the stadium. I have had ATT forever and it never worked. When Verizon put in that Distributed Antenna System (DAS) for wireless about 4 years ago, my Verizon friends all rubbed my nose in the fact that their cell phones now worked fine in the stadium. Well, as it turns out, Verizon agreed last year to let Sprint and ATT tied their networks into the DAS, and my game-day ATT coverage last year was fantastic in both 209 and 509.. Not even sure I need to use the new WIFI although I'll give it a whirl on opening day. (I rarely go to preseason games)

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Carrier shouldn't matter.
    That would help if it was true for us T-Mobile users, but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Anybody have anything about the Wifi from Saturday's game?

Any better?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Anybody have anything about the Wifi from Saturday's game?

Any better?
    I gave up after 30 minutes of it trying to connect to the Wifi. i looked at the clock in the first quarter and it was 2:36 left in the first and i had started after kickoff to connect to the Wifi. Kept saying "connecting"

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    I gave up after 30 minutes of it trying to connect to the Wifi. i looked at the clock in the first quarter and it was 2:36 left in the first and i had started after kickoff to connect to the Wifi. Kept saying "connecting"
    I had pretty much the same experience. Occasionally got connected, but then it would kick me off. So I used up a huge chunk of data trying to keep up with the Orioles' swirl down the drain.
    "Chin up, chest out."