Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT : Ronda Rousey beats Correia in 34 seconds

youre diminishing her and her competitors abilities whether you say so or not. having a go to, is no different than any other fighter. she has judo, jitsu, striking and wrestling... but thats it. I mean thats laughable to say it that way, then diminish it. Thats a well rounded fighter by any other name, or sex, but in her case shes apparently limited and only benefiting from her competitors being even more limited.

Correia, Zingano, Tate, McMann... I dont see any of them as a lack of competition or skill.
    -JAB

OT : Ronda Rousey beats Correia in 34 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    youre diminishing her and her competitors abilities whether you say so or not. having a go to, is no different than any other fighter. she has judo, jitsu, striking and wrestling... but thats it. I mean thats laughable to say it that way, then diminish it. Thats a well rounded fighter by any other name, or sex, but in her case shes apparently limited and only benefiting from her competitors being even more limited.

Correia, Zingano, Tate, McMann... I dont see any of them as a lack of competition or skill.
    Take any of the fighters you mentioned and put them in the MMA 20 years from now (assuming the sport stays on this same upward trajectory) and they all get killed.

It's not diminishing a thing. It's simply the current state of women's MMA. They're all basically trailblazers.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 08-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.

I'm with HR on this one. Rousey and Demetrius Johnson are practically in the same boat. They're kings of young divisions with a small pool of fighters. It's hard to say that without sounding like you're downplaying their success but that's just what it is.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Take any of the fighters you mentioned and put them in the MMA 20 years from now (assuming the sport status on this same upward trajectory) and they all get killed.

It's not diminishing a thing. It's simply the current state of women's MMA. They're all basically trailblazers.
    you can take just about any sport and say that same thing. athletes are always getting bigger, stronger, faster...

womens MMA has been around since the mid 90s... Mens the early 90s. those were the pioneers. If you want to make an argument that by percentage more men train for it than women, sure, but the women that due train for it arent starting out any differently than when a man starts. They train with men, let alone train the same way as them. I dont think much is going to change in 20 years for either sex in MMA. were at the point where they already train for multiple techniques, not 1 like the early days. MMA has grown beyond one skillset as a whole, regardless of sex, and has for quite some time now.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I'm with HR on this one. Rousey and Demetrius Johnson are practically in the same boat. They're kings of young divisions with a small pool of fighters. It's hard to say that without sounding like you're downplaying their success but that's just what it is.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    small pools doesnt mean the cream doesnt rise to the top. Its still the best of the best fighting each other regardless.
    -JAB

you can take just about any sport and say that same thing. athletes are always getting bigger, stronger, faster...

womens MMA has been around since the mid 90s... Mens the early 90s. those were the pioneers. If you want to make an argument that by percentage more men train for it than women, sure, but the women that due train for it arent starting out any differently than when a man starts. They train with men, let alone train the same way as them. I dont think much is going to change in 20 years for either sex in MMA. were at the point where they already train for multiple techniques, not 1 like the early days. MMA has grown beyond one skillset as a whole, regardless of sex, and has for quite some time now.
    You can say that about every sports. Yes. Absolutely. In their infancy.

And just like every sport, they have their trailblazers who set the foundation for future generations. That's exactly what's happening now with women's MMA. And "being around since the 90's" is an overly simplistic view and offers zero context. You're talking about fights in Japan and Europe, done at the exhibition level, with very little training.

Everything you've said only strengthens my point about the state of women's MMA and Rousey's roll.

small pools doesnt mean the cream doesnt rise to the top. Its still the best of the best fighting each other regardless.
    Of course. But it's still a very small pond with one really big fish.

Blog Entries

When you look at the rest of the bantam weight division for women's UFC, there are only a few girls that have the same number of fights (or more) as Rousey does. Correia has only been active for 3 years and she's had a lot of fights in 3 years, but still...Rousey has been competing at a high level since she was a teen. It's hard to make up for that kind of experience.

Honestly, the only woman that I think has a shot at possibly ever beating Rousey is Miesha Tate. And she's already lost to Rousey...she at least lasted a few rounds.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

And just like every sport, they have their trailblazers who set the foundation for future generations. That's exactly what's happening now with women's MMA. And "being around since the 90's" is an overly simplistic view and offers zero context. You're talking about fights in Japan and Europe, done at the exhibition level, with very little training.

Everything you've said only strengthens my point about the state of women's MMA and Rousey's roll.
    you can say that about football, basketball, baseball... these arent sports in their infancy. Its just a sign of the times.

and what was the UFC and other organizations when they first started in the early 90s but exhibitions with little training? doesnt seem like youre looking at them with the same scope. regardless, thats not how womens MMA has been for some time now. Youre implying that the sport has grown, but that never translated to the women. Thats simply not true. They train in the same places, in the same ways as the men do. Theyve been doing that for years now, well over a decade. theyre no more in their infancy than the men at this point.

Of course. But it's still a very small pond with one really big fish.
    the women will never match the men in participants, so in that case theyll never be in the same realm in your opinion? when does it leave its infancy? 20 more years?

I really dont see the difference in any of this in relation to Tyson. The comparison is still valid imo. just because boxing was around longer doesnt mean the dominance of their opponents and brutality of finishes isnt comparable.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 08-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

You might as well discount the Giants and Colts of the 50's and the Packers of the 60's with that argument. Why not just toss out Babe Ruth since he straddled the dead ball era to something new in baseball? You can also toss out any player who dominated before Jackie Robinson.

Sports are judged that way. Athletes are judged based on their competition. We still read posts right here about how Johnny U or Jim Brown would be average players given the advances in the sport but are they taken seriously by most?

All athletes need to be judged by what they did given the conditions of the sport at that time. Their competition is playing under the same exact conditions but the great ones dominate. Could someone come along 20 years from now and be greater than Rousey as the sport matures? Sure but that will never diminish her accomplishments

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When you look at the rest of the bantam weight division for women's UFC, there are only a few girls that have the same number of fights (or more) as Rousey does. Correia has only been active for 3 years and she's had a lot of fights in 3 years, but still...Rousey has been competing at a high level since she was a teen. It's hard to make up for that kind of experience.

Honestly, the only woman that I think has a shot at possibly ever beating Rousey is Miesha Tate. And she's already lost to Rousey...she at least lasted a few rounds.
    theres plenty on their way up. Shes got a good many more challenges coming her way, including that cyborg fight eventually. Tate will always stick around as a gate keeper, Zingano is a little older but shes there too, because theyre just that good.

I think mens MMA had a few gate keepers as well. guys that always hung around the top but never quite got over the champ. It happens when theres dominant fighters, always playing for second.
    -JAB

Rashad Evans brought up the same point after the fight

Rashad Evans ‏@SugaRashadEvans
    Larry Holmes had 20 title defenses but he will never be considered the GOAT cuz his Era of boxing wasn't that good. He beat a old Ali.

I would hate to look back at Ronda's reign as champion with the thought that she was good but didn't have the highest level of comp. Not

Saying that the women that fight her isn't good but she is clearly ahead of her time and women's mma is still evolving cuz it's still so new
    Again, it's hard to really bring this up without sounding like your diminishing her accomplishments but it is what it is.