Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

OT : Ronda Rousey beats Correia in 34 seconds

Wow.

There are some athletes that when you watch them you know you are seeing something extraordinary and historic. I felt that way about Ray Lewis in 2002 when we were rebuilding and he was just dominating on the football field like superman.

I was going to order this fight but my Verizon set top boxes have not been working so I stayed up and watched the news roll in. Then I watched "highlights" of Rousey charging in and pummeling that poor woman (heavily muscled scary in her own right) into submission.

It's reminds me of the Tyson heyday when you would order a fight and it would be over in 30 seconds. And it reminds me a lot of Ray too. Rousey's personality makes me a little uncomfortable, like Ray's over the top larger than life personality sometimes bugged me a little (he could back it up though so not too much). Mostly her ungracious attitude towards her opponents but man there is no denying she is a great athlete and competitor and a must watch when she fights.

Like I said you know when you're watching someone special and at the peak of their game. You have to watch.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Re: OT : Ronda Rousey beats Correia in 34 seconds

It's a great feat for sure but part of it is due to the overall lack of talent in women's MMA compared to their male counterparts.

ESPN made the Tyson comparison earlier and I just had to laugh. They have similar stats, sure, but Tyson came up through "the ranks" whereas Rousey are facing women who are every bit new to the sport as she is.

She gets props for being the groundbreaker for sure. But her skills are still rather basic. Even she basically admitted as much during her post fight interview.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a great feat for sure but part of it is due to the overall lack of talent in women's MMA compared to their male counterparts.

ESPN made the Tyson comparison earlier and I just had to laugh. They have similar stats, sure, but Tyson came up through "the ranks" whereas Rousey are facing women who are every bit new to the sport as she is.

She gets props for being the groundbreaker for sure. But her skills are still rather basic. Even she basically admitted as much during her post fight interview.
    I don't think her dominance should be discounted at all. It isn't that she is undefeated, but rather a majority of her fights are over in under a few minutes and sometimes 1 min.

It is kind of a double edged sword for her. She is SO dominant that it is quite remarkable, but there is absolutely no one else on her level. She's only like 27 or 28 years old. She could stay undefeated for several more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think her dominance should be discounted at all. It isn't that she is undefeated, but rather a majority of her fights are over in under a few minutes and sometimes 1 min.

It is kind of a double edged sword for her. She is SO dominant that it is quite remarkable, but there is absolutely no one else on her level. She's only like 27 or 28 years old. She could stay undefeated for several more years.

She dominant. I'm not saying otherwise.

But the fact remains women's MMA is still in its infancy. She dominating but she's dominating a field of competitors that (1) are not as technically progressed as fighters who have been fighting since their teens and (2) the dearth of talent on the women's side make it ripe for dominating by someone who is only a couple of steps ahead of everyone else.

She is indeed still young so maybe there's someone out there we just haven't seen. But even that's to my point, too. The sport itself is so young we don't know who else is out there.

Agree with HR. I've thought for awhile that Rousey is the modern day equivalent of Royce Gracie. When the sport was in its infancy, Gracie had a skillset that nobody else knew how to deal with... until everybody figured it out. If a 25 year-old Royce Gracie, with the skillset he had in the 1990s, came to the UFC today, he'd be pretty unremarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Agree with HR. I've thought for awhile that Rousey is the modern day equivalent of Royce Gracie. When the sport was in its infancy, Gracie had a skillset that nobody else knew how to deal with... until everybody figured it out. If a 25 year-old Royce Gracie, with the skillset he had in the 1990s, came to the UFC today, he'd be pretty unremarkable.
    Perfect comparison.

And that doesn't take a thing away from Rousey and what she's accomplishing. He's a HoF fighter. She will be too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

agreed. the Tyson reference makes sense because shes that much better than her competition that after 12 fights she only now has 25 mins in the cage. the fact that womens MMA in the UFC is newer means very little because women have been competing for years. in fact i believe its only a few years younger than the men. her dominance should not be trivialized due to lack of competitors, unless you wish to diminsh GSP, Silvas, Jones or any other champ who was clearly better than his peers. the only reason she gets compared to tyson instead of those guys, is because shes finishing them, quickly and brutally, much like mike in his hey day. completely valid comparison.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    agreed. the Tyson reference makes sense because shes that much better than her competition that after 12 fights she only now has 25 mins in the cage. the fact that womens MMA in the UFC is newer means very little because women have been competing for years. in fact i believe its only a few years younger than the men. her dominance should not be trivialized due to lack of competitors, unless you wish to diminsh GSP, Silvas, Jones or any other champ who was clearly better than his peers. the only reason she gets compared to tyson instead of those guys, is because shes finishing them, quickly and brutally, much like mike in his hey day. completely valid comparison.
    Where this falls flat is in the level of talent each fighter faced, not the talent of the fighters themselves. Both are talented. But one dominated in a time against fighters that had been fighting far more and at a higher technical level than the other. Tyson's domination of his contemporaries is leaps and bounds above Rousey.

By your logic, a CFL team is every bit as talented as an NFL team if they have similar records, stats, etc. That's simply not the case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Where this falls flat is in the level of talent each fighter faced, not the talent of the fighters themselves. Both are talented. But one dominated in a time against fighters that had been fighting far more and at a higher technical level than the other. Tyson's domination of his contemporaries is leaps and bounds above Rousey.

By your logic, a CFL team is every bit as talented as an NFL team if they have similar records, stats, etc. That's simply not the case.
    no by that analogy, its like UFC vs strikeforce, which isnt the comparison im making at all. UFC is the best of the best, so were already on the NFL level so to speak. Theyre getting the best women available. Youre saying theyre not good. ok, but theyre the best available. This girl was undefeated with numerous KOs, she wasnt garbage in the world of womens MMA. Tyson didnt only fight HOFs. look over his records. he fought way more tomato cans than legitimate champs. I see no difference with Rousey. shes dominating whats before her, and regardless of how you feel about their level of skill, women have been fighting almost as long as the men. I do not believe it to be in the infancy, as you put it, anymore than the men, which doesnt change my opinion of their accomplishments.

these women have been training a lot longer than when the UFC started the womens division. Its nothing new to them, even if it is newer to the UFC.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 08-03-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    -JAB

OT : Ronda Rousey beats Correia in 34 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    no by that analogy, its like UFC vs strikeforce, which isnt the comparison im making at all. UFC is the best of the best, so were already on the NFL level so to speak. Theyre getting the best women available. Youre saying theyre not good. ok, but theyre the best available. This girl was undefeated with numerous KOs, she wasnt garbage in the world of womens MMA. Tyson didnt only fight HOFs. look over his records. he fought way more tomato cans than legitimate champs. I see no difference with Rousey. shes dominating whats before her, and regardless of how you feel about their level of skill, women have been fighting almost as long as the men. I do not believe it to be in the infancy, as you put it, anymore than the men, which doesnt change my opinion of their accomplishments.

these women have been training a lot longer than when the UFC started the womens division. Its nothing new to them, even if it is newer to the UFC.
    I never once said they're not good. I'm aware about Strikeforce and that only boosts the commonplace argument about the infancy of women's MMA. No, they have not been training "a lot" longer. And again, when they do train / fight other women, they're fighting other pioneers to the sport.

The comparisons to Tyson are just silly, naive or both. That, more than anything, takes away what Rousey is doing because its artificially inflating her talents.

Again, she's dominating. But she's dominating because of superior take down and grappling (which leads to her signature, lone submission move) and her right hand. That's it. But it's enough.

Fighters who have a similar tenure face and train against people who have multiple specialties and disciplines under their bet, relying on a variety moves and techniques that simply haven't made its way to women's MMA.

Women's MMA just isn't there yet as a sport. And I'll say it again, that doesn't take away from Rousey and what she's accomplishing. There's a reason she will most likely Tate for a third time for her next fight because there's a minute number of fighters to choose from. The comparison to Royce is dead on (and historically) accurate.