Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran Nuke Deal

Re: Iran Nuke Deal

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I've only recently been reading this source.
    Far as I can tell, they lean left socially, but WRT foreign affairs and defense, they oscillate around the middle.

Anyways, this is fairest assessment that I've come across this week.
    It addresses six myths; 3 often spewed from those in support of the deal, and 3 from those in opposition.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/17/8989147...ear-deal-myths
    Yeah, here's a clear indication that assessment is not 'fair'.
    It scoffs at Iran being able to evade inspections. Yet makes no mention of a 24 day waiting period before inpections. It's not an anytime anywhere inspection deal. It's at these specified sites, and we can delay for up to 24 days. Oh and now US inspectors.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yeah, here's a clear indication that assessment is not 'fair'.
    It scoffs at Iran being able to evade inspections. Yet makes no mention of a 24 day waiting period before inpections. It's not an anytime anywhere inspection deal. It's at these specified sites, and we can delay for up to 24 days. Oh and now US inspectors.
    Very true. The article also doesn't fully account for the role that the rest of the p5+1 plays in everything; nor properly put the regional complexities in context...at least not in this article.

I still find it well-balanced, especially when compared to all the garbage flying across the networks.
    Pols and the MSM continue to keep Americans stupid.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Iran is a different animal than most any other country on earth, including the other Muslim countries. Most every country on earth are democracies of some kind that don't want war, or leaders that are loving their power and wealth, but not Iran. It is led by suicide bombers. Their stated goal is to usher in the 12th Imam. That is get the Islamic version of the end times going.

The Islamic version begins with the world being thrown into chaos. Their leadership, IMO, is looking to do this, or at the very least this should be considered a possibility.

No country led by people who are thinking about how to throw the world into chaos should be allowed to get nuclear weapons. This deal does nothing really firm to stop it, the inspection lead time is 24 days and they are still allowed to enrich to a low degree. But given 24 days notice the more enriched uranium can be hauled off and hidden.

What to do about it? Unfortunately this nation has been made war-weary by bad management of Afghanistan and a stupid invasion of Iraq that was no where near the threat to us or the world. Since attacking them head on is almost assuredly off the table continuing sanctions that would fire the people up to a(nother) revolt attempt and using our intelligence and other assets to push that along is probably the best move.

If they get what they deem is enough nukes to send the world into chaos they might just do it.

Imagine nukes going off in NY, DC, London, Paris, Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. Chaos indeed.

My uber-skeptical ass is still trying to unwind all of the partisan bullisht around the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (hey! it has a name...who knew?)

Something from this morning, and I didn't know this at all, but according to SecState, a previous UN resolution for which the sanctions were originally implemented said that if Iran would subsequently suspend its enrichment and sat down to negotiate then those very sanctions would be lifted. This sounds a little stupid IMO, which of course doesn't mean that it's false lol.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

My uber-skeptical ass is still trying to unwind all of the partisan bullisht around the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (hey! it has a name...who knew?)

Something from this morning, and I didn't know this at all, but according to SecState, a previous UN resolution for which the sanctions were originally implemented said that if Iran would subsequently suspend its enrichment and sat down to negotiate then those very sanctions would be lifted. This sounds a little stupid IMO, which of course doesn't mean that it's false lol.
    Iran was getting money just for negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Iran was getting money just for negotiating.
    Up is down. Down is up.
    It's clear that they gained (or were granted) leverage long before the JCPA...smh.

@BigPlayReceiver

Up is down. Down is up.
    It's clear that they gained (or were granted) leverage long before the JCPA...smh.
    But Obama can only out his name on the current agreement.

A good summary on why it's a bad deal.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...r-our-time.php

I think that's a little bit of spin.

This was the resolution enforcing sanctions.

The resolution, enacted under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, requires Iran to suspend certain "proliferation sensitive nuclear activities."[5] It places several prohibitions on all states with regards to Iran's nuclear activities. The Security Council also imposed a freeze on those assets supporting or associated with Iran's proliferation nuclear activities and established a committee (known as the 1737 Committee) to oversee their implementation. It also provided a deadline for Iran to comply with the resolution. The sanctions would be lifted if Iran suspended the "suspect activities" within 60 days to the satisfaction of the International Atomic Energy Agency.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...esolution_1737

This was the last of the stiffening of sanctions.

All states were to report to the Committee within 60 days on the measures they had taken to implement the provisions of the current resolution. It emphasised diplomatic efforts by the five plus one (China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom and United States) to resolve the nuclear issue and encouraged further efforts. It commended the Director-General of the IAEA Yukiya Amano for a draft agreement between France, Iran and Russia and requested a report within 90 days on whether Iran had begun co-operating with the IAEA and suspended activities mentioned in Resolution 1737. On the basis of the report, the Council would review the sanctions regime and would lift provisions if compliance was reported or consider further measures in the light of non-compliance with Security Council resolutions.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...esolution_1929

Seems there was a time frame given for them to comply. I'm thinking over 4 years of ignoring them does not meet the criteria Kerry stated.

Well, this is fun.

Two different polls of Israelis conducted by different organizations.
    Two different outcomes.
    Notice how the questions are constructed.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign...ddthis_twitter

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/isra...lateral-strike

@BigPlayReceiver

11. Re: Iran Nuke Deal

My question is simply What are the viable alternatives to some kind of deal?

We cannot get sanctions strengthened. We cannot get Turkey to stop importing oil from Iran. The Iranians are well on their way to development of a bomb (estimates range from 12-48 months) and are presumed to presently possess a substantial quantity of weapons grade plutonium. Our negotiating partners want a deal so they can get back to business with Iran, it only took Germany a matter of DAYS to get a delegation into Tehran and the Chinese and French are close behind.

Forget who did what in the past, what are our alternatives as of this point in time?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    My question is simply What are the viable alternatives to some kind of deal?

We cannot get sanctions strengthened. We cannot get Turkey to stop importing oil from Iran. The Iranians are well on their way to development of a bomb (estimates range from 12-48 months) and are presumed to presently possess a substantial quantity of weapons grade plutonium. Our negotiating partners want a deal so they can get back to business with Iran, it only took Germany a matter of DAYS to get a delegation into Tehran and the Chinese and French are close behind.

Forget who did what in the past, what are our alternatives as of this point in time?
    Continue the sanctions.
    Actually get anywhere anytime inspections
    Make them give up details on their undisclosed activities and military bases.
    Make them get rid of all centrifuges.