Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This Defense Will Never Be Elite Under Dean Pees.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Get used to having Dean Pees around. I don't know why this keeps popping up every few months, dude is NOT going anywhere. Top 5 to to 10 I believe most of his tenure here.

Is it organized chaos? No, those days are done.

I have adapted to the mentality that the Ravens are adopting, make the opponent go the length of the field. I mean the resigning of Koch proves that concept is what the strategy is. Bend but don't break is here to stay.
    O Captain! My Captain! May thunderboomers pouring down green chichlets surf thee to thy rest! :D

We all know how Harbs rolls:
    • Methodical ball-control offense (with occasional deep shots to keep the D honest)
    • Minimize unforced errors (e.g., penalties)
    • Control ToP, take points whenever possible
    • When not, pin the opponent deep, forced to drive the length of the field
    • Win in the trenches, grind the opponent down late

The record speaks for itself. Why alter this battle-tested approach?
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's going to keep coming up because Ravens fans miss having great defenses. Some people have a tough time realizing that times have changed. Bend but don't break works. It will never be fun to watch but as long as the Ravens defense stays around the top 10 best in the NFL they're not changing it and they certainly aren't getting rid of Dean Pees. It's time for all the nostalgia posters to come back to 2015
    I think it will be fun to watch this year if Webb is truly back and Smith stays healthy. Arrington will give a presence to change the dynamic on covering short routes and Kendrick Lewis will be smart enough to play centerfeld and not miss his assignments and cues. With the Ravens pass rush as it is, filling those holes is going to make playing the Ravens frustrating - the kind of frustration that builds and leads to mistakes ... fun for us!

As long as we win and our defense isn't a liability, I could care less if it's 'elite' or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Yeah

Cary
    Graham
    Jimmy
    Still.

Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith, and Corey Graham (plus Ed) FAR FAR FAR outweighs Webb, Rashaan Melvin, Antione Cason, Matt Elam, and Darian Stewart.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I am not a fan of the "Bend But Do Not Break" Mentality and I think that sometimes Pees is a little too cerebral for a lot of players. IMHO, he is like Cam in that regard, but is more approachable and open to players, which I think avoids the strain behind the scenes. Still, I cannot fully trash him with the results that he has been able to produce over the years. And to be fair, I have to admit certain things that are without question, not the least of which is the injury factor that he had to juggle last season. In addition, the Patriots had to deal a screwed-up, referee-failed and now illegal set of plays to win by four points.

I will still gnash my teeth when the Ravens suddenly go ahead at the end of the game and give a good QB time to work down the field (like the Chargers game last year). Even if Joe had thrown a better pass or seen the DB coming over (or if Torrey had decided to get Boldin-like with the defender), I was not happy that they were scoring too fast to let Brady have time on the clock. Letting teams move the ball with the idea that they are more likely to commit a mistake the more plays they have to use is not my style, but I am not a DC. I guess the biggest question is whether the physicality that we want from the defense can exist in the present NFL, or is a mental focus more appropriate.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's funny how you talk about Manning and Brady who would BOTH tell you that rhythm is IMPERATIVE for a QB. And what has Dean Pees honestly shown throughout his coaching HISTORY to lead you to believe that he would not have given Manning the short passes?
    I did not say that rhythm isn't important. What I said was that in a situation where you are giving up one long play for a TD -- as Brady did against us -- it's irrelevant. When a team gives up an 80 yard pass play, do you think they come back to the bench thinking, "Well, at least we didn't let the QB get in a rhythm?" Rhythm is important, but it's not the only thing. And facing Brady in the playoffs, it wasn't our most dangerous opponent.

I also did not say Dean Pees wouldn't have given Manning the short passes. My point was, what the fuck difference does it make whether he would have or wouldn't have? You're going to criticize the guy for what you ASSUME he would have done IF he had been in a given situation???? That to me says that you know your criticism of what he actually did against Brady is not particularly defensible. So instead of criticizing him for that, you criticize him for the fact that you "know" he would have done the same thing against Manning. I mean really, why are you bringing up that hypothetical? Why aren't we just having a discussion about what actually happened and why?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Still.

Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith, and Corey Graham (plus Ed) FAR FAR FAR outweighs Webb, Rashaan Melvin, Antione Cason, Matt Elam, and Darian Stewart.
    Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I guess "great defense" is pretty relative.

Isn't being in the top-10 of most defensive statistics each year pretty great?

That great Seahawks defense only sacked Brady once and let him complete 74% of his passes for 330 yards and 4 TD's.
    The last great defense in the NFL was the 2006 Ravens. There have been some very good ones since then like the 2008 Titans, 2009 Steelers and 2013 Seahawks but that 2006 Ravens team was the last great defense. That also happened to be the 1st season that Roger Goodell took over and before any of his changes took place.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    O Captain! My Captain! May thunderboomers pouring down green chichlets surf thee to thy rest! :D

• Methodical ball-control offense (with occasional deep shots to keep the D honest)

Absolutely. A+++

It does not take an elite Defense to win the Super Bowl - it takes a good solid team and a little luck - we won in 2012 with an aging Defense that was not scary, but just good enough to compliment the stretch that Flacco and the Offense put together. It was amazing how close we got to another Super Bowl with the Dbacks we had in the Playoffs last year

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Now you sound like Cam Cameron. As you said, Manning lost his deep accuracy, but not his short accuracy. Regardless, Pees would have given him the short passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

1.) It wasn't until he opened up that offense in the playoffs that they won the Super Bowl.
    2.) That sort of defense is not going to come up with big game changing plays when needed or major stops in the fourth quarter when needed. Those will be fewer and farther between.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore