Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Bettis to be Honored During Ravens Game in PIT

Bring it! They do enjoy this. Hopefully we can ruin the night

Sure. Gotta be a division rival. Just like the ravens are doing with Ed Reed. We are in the division with the Rams, right?

Actually I have no idea why the Steelers always do these things against the Ravens. The games are always big in their own. Makes more sense to pick a less vital game.

Whatever puts people in the seats, right? I dont know exactly what the occasion is & they certainly seem to honor players more than average. This is at least the second or third time I can think of Bettis being honored. Still, Bettis was one of the all-time great running backs and if I am able to make the trip to support the Ravens in person in Pittsburgh that night I'll tip my hat when he is honored.

I would expect the exact same from a Steeler fan (or any other fan) when we are honoring players at our games.

4. Re: Bettis to be Honored During Ravens Game in PIT

Just win baby, then it doesn't matter.

Intersting to see Bettis' stat line against the Ravens - 16 GAMES, 969YDS and 2TDs. That's about 60 yards a game and a sub-1000yd season. The 2 TDs paint an even uglier picture for him vs Bmore. If they're trying to fuel the rivalry or intimidate the team, you'd think they'd honor a guy that did better against us than one who was consistently shutdown. Instead they should be honoring him in week 1 when they'll need a running back against the Patriots - maybe even ask him to play for a suspended LeVeon Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Faulker View Post
    Intersting to see Bettis' stat line against the Ravens - 16 GAMES, 969YDS and 2TDs. That's about 60 yards a game and a sub-1000yd season. The 2 TDs paint an even uglier picture for him vs Bmore. If they're trying to fuel the rivalry or intimidate the team, you'd think they'd honor a guy that did better against us than one who was consistently shutdown. Instead they should be honoring him in week 1 when they'll need a running back against the Patriots - maybe even ask him to play for a suspended LeVeon Bell.
    Those stats are revealing, Lewis and company did their jobs against him. If it wasn't for as great steeler defense, BR and that offense is mediocre when it comes to wins and stats.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Offended, why? Honoring a retired player against a division rival? That is show of respect. What team should get this honor - the Browns? The emotion and energy at a Steelers/Ravens game is immense, and suits the importance of the event.

SOmehow it wouldn't have the same impact to do this vs Tennesee or Oakland or somebody like that. It speaks to the rivalry and respect between the two franchises.

Its like when the Os revealed the Cal statue a few years ago during a series vs the Yanks. It was even better that it was late in the year and they were neck and neck for the division so the crowd was already amped. (it might've been the MLBN national Thursday night game too IIRC)
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Faulker View Post
    I wonder how many carries? I am pretty sure for one game he was injured, and only had 4 or so carries. A full game there might have put him there. I tried to fully research, as I was curious, but my online football research acumen is not exactly top-shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    I wonder how many carries? I am pretty sure for one game he was injured, and only had 4 or so carries. A full game there might have put him there. I tried to fully research, as I was curious, but my online football research acumen is not exactly top-shelf.
    He also had a big game against us around 2004.. I think we had gone like 7 years without giving up a 100 yard rusher and he broke that spell and the yinzers didn't shut up about it for weeks.

This has more to do with it being the first prime time game than it just being against the Ravens.

The Steelers typically like to do player honors during primetime games and most of the Ravens games over the years have been primetime.

Blog Entries

Not surprising. There are probably plenty like him in the NFL. Not everyone who is underprivileged makes these decisions. However, we often forget that when we talk sensibly, when we talk rationally, we are speaking it to youths from do not come from a sensible, rational environment and have to return to much different circumstances, environments. These decisions can come up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore