Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Shed some light on this for me: Trestman, too pass happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Funny how we get dogged for letting him go according to media outlets. I am amazed at how little they follow teams. I mean I am a Ravens fan and I know more about my friends teams than they do, be it the Steelers, the Eagles, or the Redskins. I could have a future in writing the NFL!
    You're right. Non-Ravens fans don't voluntarily watch Ravens games; heck half the time I'm watching them I'm frustrated. I think media looks at his TD total and that's all they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    "Too pass happy?" - a multiple choice question with only two possible answers

1. Joe with bad receivers (his career thru the first 7 years) is a BAD idea

2. Joe with good receiver (Ravens 2015 receivers) is a GREAT idea - it will open up the running game and light up the league.
    I agree. Now that Joe got his weapons (Finally) he can get career highs in stats this year. Trestman is gonna get the best out of Joe. I promise you.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I have not studied Trestman as much as others, but my focus will be on how much he incorporates the "passing game" to RB's and screens as the same as a running game. I am a running-game person anyway, so I will not be happy with a Pass-oriented system, but if the passes are to develop a running-game mentality I can appreciate it. Of course, regardless, it will be more on those who are to execute the plays than on the system that is called.
    Yea this is big for me too. I think this could be a very good thing for Kyle J. I had my eye on him last year as a guy who might break out and this year is no different with Trestman onboard. Hopefully like you said he can execute whats being called.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

It seems to me that screens & flares are essentially long-distance handoffs disguised & delayed until the defense has reacted. The difference is that more can go wrong (bad throw, stone hands, diagnosis & disruption by defense) to balance the prospects obtained by being able to execute them from the shotgun & getting the ball carrier into open field with blockers in front. Essentially these plays occupy a middle ground between pure passes & pure runs.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    It seems to me that screens & flares are essentially long-distance handoffs disguised & delayed until the defense has reacted. The difference is that more can go wrong (bad throw, stone hands, diagnosis & disruption by defense) to balance the prospects obtained by being able to execute them from the shotgun & getting the ball carrier into open field with blockers in front. Essentially these plays occupy a middle ground between pure passes & pure runs.
    Agree.
    My concern is that dink and dunk doesn't bruise the D or soften them up like a true running game does. OL "pass blocking" is more positioning as opposed to dupa-izing someone, and having to have a CB come up to absorb impact with big chasing DL going to fall on him also helps the WR late in the game.

Can add to your list tipped INTs as more that can go wrong ..... not saying do away with the middle ground, but I absolutely do not want to see the old fashioned running game shelved for a possession air attack either. I want to see Yanda, and KO bruising people, one of my favorite memories from the great SB was Willis babbling after Vonta came through and grounded him, those opportunities don't come much at all on screens and flares
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Agree.
    My concern is that dink and dunk doesn't bruise the D or soften them up like a true running game does. OL "pass blocking" is more positioning as opposed to dupa-izing someone, and having to have a CB come up to absorb impact with big chasing DL going to fall on him also helps the WR late in the game.

Can add to your list tipped INTs as more that can go wrong ..... not saying do away with the middle ground, but I absolutely do not want to see the old fashioned running game shelved for a possession air attack either. I want to see Yanda, and KO bruising people, one of my favorite memories from the great SB was Willis babbling after Vonta came through and grounded him, those opportunities don't come much at all on screens and flares
    This will be the offensive bruiser all-pro team. Start with the smallest guy, Smith, and work through WRs like Brown and Waller and into the TEs Gilmore and O'Boyle and of course Juice and Tali who seems ready to bust out. Of course KO, Yanda, and company. This was no accident. It was by design. They intend to use it these physical players. I've been saying, the rest of the NFL will not be capable of dealing with this team. Defense have been gearing to play chess matches. They will have too many personnel on their rosters who can't match up and they will be bullied and humiliated. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    ... I want to see Yanda, and KO bruising people, one of my favorite memories from the great SB was Willis babbling after Vonta came through and grounded him, those opportunities don't come much at all on screens and flares
    Sam Gash and Bill Romanoski say hi. Well, Sam does. Bill is still having trouble forming words after that hit Gash laid on him on a flare pass.

I agree with your overall point. But I can't miss any excuse to relive that play.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Sam Gash and Bill Romanoski say hi. Well, Sam does. Bill is still having trouble forming words after that hit Gash laid on him on a flare pass.

I agree with your overall point. But I can't miss any excuse to relive that play.
    My brother is a Patriots fan and Sam Gash is his still his favorite player of all time. He was even happy that Gash got a ring with us. That hit was amazing and I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Trestman's success isn't contingent on Flacco or the WR corp.

The front line is going to make or break this offense. If they can't protect Flacco, we won't be able to run or pass.
    Thiiiiiiiiiis.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

To quote Randy Savage .... Oohhh Yeahhhhh, I can dig it, Read on!

"The ball just hung up in the air. ... I couldn't believe it," Sharpe said. "When I caught it, I was like, well maybe I just get 10 yards and then all of the sudden the end zone just kept getting closer and closer."

A hard-hitting entourage cleared his path along the sideline.

After middle linebacker Al Wilson missed a leg tackle of Sharpe, Ravens fullback Sam Gash cut off a fast-closing Bill Romanowski with a hit that sent the Denver outside linebacker out of bounds
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...s&client=opera

Sharpe, who was closing in to tackle Buckley in case he intercepted the ball, caught the carom at the Ravens' 42 and raced down the right sideline. As Sharpe headed downfield, fullback Sam Gash took out Broncos linebacker Bill Romanowski with a block at the Ravens' 49 and Johnson threw a key block on safety Billy Jenkins at the Broncos' 20.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Question : Considering the Ravens usually pick low in the NFL draft, have had $ cap restrictions, and have players poached by free agency... how did Ozzie and Co. build such a seemingly potent offense for 2015? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Question : Considering the Ravens usually pick low in the NFL draft, have had $ cap restrictions, and have players poached by free agency... how did Ozzie and Co. build such a seemingly potent offense for 2015? ... Bc
    "Seemingly" being the operative word here, I'll take a stab at an answer:

1) They have a quarterback. That alone puts them above most of the teams in the league. If you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a potent offense.

2) They have a solid o-line. When you pick late as we do, and you have cap restrictions as we do, your team has to have its best players at less expensive positions. We are not in a position to have Megatron or Julio Jones-type WR. We can, however, have a Marshall Yanda-type guard. Because great o-linemen -- aside from LT's -- can be found where the Ravens pick. You still have to get the pick right, and while there have been some misses (Gino,) there have been some huge hits for Oz and Co.

3) The 'skill positions' are all where your word "seemingly" comes into play. *IF* Forsett was not a one-hit wonder, and *IF* Perriman can play in the NFL, and *IF* Father Time doesn't catch up to Senior, and *IF* someone steps up to be a true #3 receiver, and *IF* we can cobble together some good TE play out of our unproven youngsters, and *IF* everyone can work with Trestman's offense, then yes, we can be potent.

But count the IFs. There are a lot of them. The only relatively sure things we have on offense are QB and OL, barring injury. And those are great things to have. But when you draft low and get players poached and don't have a ton of cap room for FA, you are going to go into the season with a bunch of IFs.
    "Chin up, chest out."