Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

South Carolina Massacre

It's getting to the point where it's tough to wake up and turn on the news. 9 dead at a Bible study in South Carolina. One psycho out there who did this. Immediately I remember a theater in Colorado and an elementary school 2 towns away from me here in Connecticut. When will it end and what can be done to stop this from happening over and over? Do people really have to carry guns into their church for protection? I wish there was answer

Re: South Carolina Massacre

Sadly, this gun owner right here has friends who think that the solution is to arm the deacons.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Well, that was fast...

A mad man (possibly) or a person killing people because of there race (a mad man either way) and two post later it turns on to a gun rights convo.

Guns have shit to do with it. If the guy wanted to kill people he would have done regardless of the weapon. The question should be how do we stop mad men.

Blog Entries

Ive said it before on here, but Im of the belief that mental health isnt a big enough part of the process. There are laws that are, or are not, enforced about seeing if you were in a mental health facility or deemed mentally ill by court, but thats hardly the case the majority of the time. Aurora shooter was legally able to buy guns despite going to therapy for homicidal thoughts multiple times a week. I feel like thats something that could have been prevented with a deeper background check. Thats my only real beef with gun owners, they dont want to be burdened because its their right, but theres still people that are getting through a weak system. This person was clearly very disturbed but its quite possible we find out they never had one of those qualifiers.

Sadly, im also of the belief that this kind of stuff will happen regardless. Its possible news comes out that he didnt purchase the guns, and they were a family member or friends. that more speaks to being a responsible gun owner, which unfortunately not everybody is. i believe Sandy Hook is an example of somebody that was not by law able to own guns because of mental illness, but then the mother allowed guns in the house and even promoted there use by said individual. that completely negates the system anyway and sadly, that likely will happen again.

Neither of those listed above account for the normal person that just snaps either. which youre literally never going to be able to stop. Its a tough issue. I know gun owners will say, the answer is to be carrying everywhere, including church, to stop these individuals before "mass" shootings happen. That might not be far from the truth, but like i said in the other paragraphs, I think theres still more we can do to prevent those from getting them that shouldnt. There can be a combination to help LIMIT incidents where civilians need to use their guns.

The answer to your question is not an easy one ultimately.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Sadly, im also of the belief that this kind of stuff will happen regardless.
    I agree with your point that more could be done to try to stop mentally ill people from purchasing guns, but that's a tough task.

But what I quoted above is correct:

Across the Middle East, the number more than doubled from 163 in 2013 to 370 attacks in 2014, while the number of fatalities in these suicide attacks in the Middle East also surged from 1,950 to 2,750, according to the INSS report.Jan 7, 2015
    People kill people, regardless of the weapon. focus on the people more than the weapon they choose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I agree with your point that more could be done to try to stop mentally ill people from purchasing guns, but that's a tough task.

But what I quoted above is correct:

People kill people, regardless of the weapon. focus on the people more than the weapon they choose.
    I have no problem with that. Guns are at the top because of kill radius, but you could say the same for knives or even improvised weapons. bombs. theres plenty of ways to do harm ultimately and I do agree its a tool for a person. It just happens to be a very deadly tool in the wrong hands which is why its at the forefront.

Mental health is an issue in this country and awareness in general is lacking, imo. thats my bigger issue and always has been when it comes to guns. ive said it before, give a good person a bazooka and nothing bad will happen, give a bad person a pellet gun and somebody will get hurt. Thats my take on gun laws, other than just being responsible, which many arent but thats another issue, imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I agree with a mental health approach but how can it be done? 2 months ago another sick person crashed a plane full of people and Germany is trying to figure out how to deal with the same problems. How can you judge the mental condition of everyone and how do treat it? It just seems impossible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I agree with a mental health approach but how can it be done? 2 months ago another sick person crashed a plane full of people and Germany is trying to figure out how to deal with the same problems. How can you judge the mental condition of everyone and how do treat it? It just seems impossible
    Some things can be done, but im not sure theres a blanket approach that can solve everything. Its to diverse of an issue. the field in general is lacking a lot of information because most of it is an unknown science. medication is the biggest thing and its still just relegated to guess work (ie: "try this and get back to me if it doesnt work"), because everyone is different.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

They've identified this murderer. He's all of 21 years old. I don't know how this could have been prevented. It's just horrible

I'm shocked. Guns are banned from churches in SC. How could this have happened?

Blog Entries

may not have been, only so much information out there right now.

Lanza was only 20 years old, Holmes was 24, Seung Cho was 23, Jared Loughner was 21...

Theyre all young men dealing with major mental disorders.
    -JAB

His Facebook picture is disturbing.