Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Predicting Doom in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I love Doom, but I think sacks are way way way overvalued in today's NFL.

Doom had an awesome 17 sacks last year. But he played 603 snaps. What did he do on those other 586 snaps?

Well, on 22 non-sack snaps he had a tackle or an assist, so now we're down to 564 where we don't know what he did. Certainly on many of them he created pressure. He brought value at times by commanding a double-team. He did have one pass defensed, so he definitely dropped into coverage occasionally. But he is generally a liability in pass coverage, and more of one in run defense.

Then factor in that he was only on the field for a little over half the defensive snaps. That's close to 500 snaps where he wasn't even there.

It's not that I don't love Doom -- I do. And sacks are game-changing plays. I get that. But while Elvis is a great football player, is he really valuable enough to be the fifth-highest paid player on this team? And more to the point, if his sack total drops to 10-12 this year, and Upshaw manages to get 7 or 8, is the difference between them worth $16MM in cap space in 2016 and 2017?

Clearly most of this board believes the answer is yes; I'm just not so sure.
    ??? Yeah, let's put Arthur Brown in his place and see what the Ravens defense becomes. Your mathematical technicalities don't always translate onto the football field of battle. Elvis Dumervil has earned every penny of his pay in Baltimore... Bc

Blog Entries

Courtney Upshaw is not going to get 8-10 sacks. So, we can x that idea right now. As has already been mentioned, they are not going to cut Dumervil to save so little. A pain in the neck, undisciplined player like Pollard? Sure. A team leader and guy who can get you 15 sacks a year? Forgettaboutttit.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Courtney Upshaw is not going to get 8-10 sacks. So, we can x that idea right now. As has already been mentioned, they are not going to cut Dumervil to save so little. A pain in the neck, undisciplined player like Pollard? Sure. A team leader and guy who can get you 15 sacks a year? Forgettaboutttit.
    In a contract year Upshaw possibly could, any other year no.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Doom would need 10 sacks to hit that mark.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Doom would need 10 sacks to hit that mark.
    I'd take that and like it

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    In a contract year Upshaw possibly could, any other year no.
    I don't see it. Upshaw has 3 sacks in 3 years and that includes 0 sacks last year. Now he's goes to put up 8-10? That's just not his game.