Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Women's World Cup, GO USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Well, she got bailed out tonight when Sasic pulled a Billy Cundiff. That was fortunate because the USA dominated the game and deserved to win.
    It was surprising she choked there -but there also didn't appear to be a lot of contact for the call that led to that pk. I thought the Morgan call later where she looked like she was out of the box and Lloyd hit the pk was a make up and that put us up. We were so close at so many different points it was was a frustrating game to watch until we went up.

Blog Entries

I think we are seeing the changing of the guard, the sit out of Holiday and Rampione forced the issue last game and opened the door for O'hara and Brian this game
    Nice to see Abby get some playing time at the end
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Definitely our best game yet. This team is peaking at the right time. I was worried coming into this game, but now I'm supremely confident. Japan (or England) aren't going to know what hit them in the final.

Also, Jill Ellis has gotten a lot of criticism for tactical decisions in the tournament, deservedly I believed, but she just might be an evil genius waiting until the first elimination game against a big team to break out a new formation.

Julie Johnston has been my favorite player so far this tournament, but she had a bit of a wake-up call in the 2nd half tonight. She was amazing again in the first half, but she's been SO good on the ball when she's gotten chances upfield that she's a little too confident/casual on the ball in the back in tight spots. She had a few such moments before the foul that led the PK, and I even said (to my TV) that she needed to be a little more cautious at the back. Sure enough, she tries to settle a ball she should have just cleared with a 1st time header and ends up committing a foul that could have put Germany up 1-0. Fortunately it didn't happen. IMO she's been the best player on the team this tournament, and it would have been a shame if she was the one to put the team behind against a team like Germany. Such is the life of a defender sometimes.

Morgan Brian must be tough as nails. I had though she looked tentative from what I'd seen of her before tonight. She's really young, so I figured maybe a World Cup was still a little to big for her. I was dead wrong. She played smart and composed all game, even after getting clobbered.

Kudos to Carli Lloyd. She started slow in this tournament, but once she was given a bit more freedom to get forward she made big moments. Finishing PK's is one thing. The assist to put this game on ice was a beauty.

Alex Morgan is really hitting her stride as well. Her dangerous runs and ability to take on defenders created so many scoring chances, including the PK (even if the foul was technically outside the box). We could have scored even more than two.

And a fine finish from O'Hara! The depth of this team is truly astounding.

Loved tonight's game. Even with her mistake tonight, Julie Johnston is my favorite player on the team.

Blog Entries

OT - Women's World Cup, GO USA!!!

USA vs Japan. Can't wait. Tough loss for England

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    USA vs Japan. Can't wait. Tough loss for England
    Tough loss is an understatement. They outplayed Japan most of the match. To lose on an own goal in the 2nd minute of injury time is crushing. That was almost a 'walk off' own goal. I liked the way England handled themselves after the match, though. Reporters kept sticking mics into their faces but they were well-spoken and showed a lot of class in the interviews. You had to feel for them.

happy July 4th ol' England

Blog Entries

I work with a lot of Brits and feel bad for them and the way they lost. It is what it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Tough loss is an understatement. They outplayed Japan most of the match. To lose on an own goal in the 2nd minute of injury time is crushing. That was almost a 'walk off' own goal. I liked the way England handled themselves after the match, though. Reporters kept sticking mics into their faces but they were well-spoken and showed a lot of class in the interviews. You had to feel for them.
    That's about as brutal as it gets. Losses like that kill careers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    happy July 4th ol' England
    :) a little brutal, but funny
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Looking forward to a great match