Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Women's World Cup, GO USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    U.S. Women Take Out China.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...rld-cup-soccer

France was outscored by Germany on penalty shots. France was the better team. I'm glad we're playing Germany and not France. It was a shame to see them loose to Germany. France has great teamwork, skill, and determination. They just couldn't find the back of the net.
    Yeah, France could have won that game several times over. That open net miss in OT was ridiculous. The French player a sure goal with her left foot and instead used her right foot to kick it wide. She is going to regret that for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Alex Morgan is probably the top forward, but interestingly enough she has never started a World Cup match. She has always come off the bench. That being said, I think she needs to get more playing time, but maybe she's still working out her timing after coming off the injury.
    Ordinarily she is, but right now she doesn't look sharp. Very tough decision as to who they put out there tomorrow. Rodriguez/Press would be the best pair to keep pressure on the defense; though I would bet the coach feels safer with LeRoux out there with one of them instead.

Wambach has been my favorite USWNT player for a long time, even going back to her Washington Freedom days when she played with Mia Hamm. But right now when she's on the field the whole team bogs down. Since I think our defense is going to have its hands full, we have to make Germany fear the counter to keep their attacking numbers down, and for that we need speed up top to make them pay for overcomitting forward. So for me its got to be two out of the Press/Leroux/Rodriguez group, with Morgan as the first look if they need a sub or throw on an extra attacker if they fall behind.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Ordinarily she is, but right now she doesn't look sharp. Very tough decision as to who they put out there tomorrow. Rodriguez/Press would be the best pair to keep pressure on the defense; though I would bet the coach feels safer with LeRoux out there with one of them instead.

Wambach has been my favorite USWNT player for a long time, even going back to her Washington Freedom days when she played with Mia Hamm. But right now when she's on the field the whole team bogs down. Since I think our defense is going to have its hands full, we have to make Germany fear the counter to keep their attacking numbers down, and for that we need speed up top to make them pay for overcomitting forward. So for me its got to be two out of the Press/Leroux/Rodriguez group, with Morgan as the first look if they need a sub or throw on an extra attacker if they fall behind.
    I think Morgan's speed is a factor, although Leroux is really fast as well. I just think Morgan is a better finisher/play maker, even though she looks a bit rusty. She is getting sharper with each match. I agree about Wambaugh, too. The offense looks like crap when she is in because they keep forcing it to her unsuccessfully. It's not 2011 any longer. I think Amy Rodriguez gives them a lot more speed and excitement out there and am hoping she sees considerable playing time. The dynamic against China was so much different than the previous games - more electricity. It will be interesting to see who is in the midfield with Megan Rapinoe and Lauren Holiday both available again. Morgan Brian and Kelley O'Hara did a nice job - especially O'Hara. I wouldn't mind seeing O'Hara and Rapinoe both starting in the midfield against Germany.

Oh, and Christen Press is a baller. I love the way she plays.

Blog Entries

Is it just me or do Leroux's passing skills seem weak? Have not been impressed by what I've seen of her feeds, but maybe I just haven't seen enough.

Morgan is getting better, the China goal was an incredible fast decision with Wambach "open" for a pass for her to drive and kick, looked like Abby slumped when she realized she wasn't getting it, then led the cheering when she saw it hit the inside of the net ... but it was telling me Morgan is very close to full groove ... couple of misfires on backheels that game ....

Not sure I'd want to break up Rampinoe and Holiday, they have played so much together that they know what to expect, but we are deep and O'Hara would be a starter on most of the teams we played against if not all.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Yeah, I'd like to play Morgan and Press up top, then Rapinoe, Holiday, Lloyd, and O'Hara (like her energy on the right) in the midfield, the same back 4, obviously with Solo.

I agree Wambach (we all love her) is just too aged to give us what we need for 90 minutes. Morgan must start, regardless of how she's looked. She's our best striker. And Press can literally press up the field to pressure their backs.

Germany is the genuine favorite tonight according to the experts. I'm definitely nervous cus it seems like we haven't been playing anywhere near our standards....but if you think about it, we've only conceded one goal all tournament. Our back 4 are extremely effective, and Solo (crazy as she is) is the best in the world. I know Germany are talented, but I think it's likely that the only way they beat us is 0-0 after 2OTs and in PKs. I think we're that talented defensively.

We just need a moment of brilliance from Morgan to punch one in...that's our recipe for success I think. My subs off the bench would obviously depend on the score, but I'd like Heath, Leroux and Wambach....maybe Brian if Lloyd and/or Holiday are ineffective (they haven't played super well even though I like them both and they're very experienced).

Should be a great one, looking forward to it.

At 5-7 this lady packs a punch. I really enjoyed her play. She never stopped hustling and was always challenging. Of course, since I played deep back in a diamond defense, I watch whats going on in the D the way most of you watch the positions you played growing up.

http://www.ussoccer.com/players/2014...FdgNgQod__kE1A

Blog Entries

Looking forward to the match against Germany tonight. Seems a shame they're in the same bracket but I know it's not that uncommon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Lineup Announced: 1-Solo, 4-Sauerbrunn, 10-Lloyd (c), 11-Krieger, 12-Holiday, 13-Morgan, 14-Brian, 15-Rapinoe, 17-Heath, 19-Johnston, 22-Klingenberg

Guessing its Heath and Rapinoe on the wings, so a 4-5-1 with 3 in midfield and Morgan alone up top? Didn't see that coming.

Maybe Lloyd pushed forward playing in behind Morgan? Or are we going to try and stifle Germany's possession in the mid and rely on Rapinoe or Morgan or a set piece to catch lightning in a bottle?

Blog Entries

At 5-7 this lady packs a punch. I really enjoyed her play. She never stopped hustling and was always challenging. Of course, since I played deep back in a diamond defense, I watch whats going on in the D the way most of you watch the positions you played growing up.

If you're talking about the back defensive midfielder (or stopper we call it) that's the one I have played the most, too. I enjoy it because I can still venture forward at times, and don't have the pressure of being the last line of defense. Reading the play and getting in a good position to wreak a little havoc and make the occasional nice pass suits me a lot better than one on one duels with forwards. I still play in the over-35 league here but of course, I ain't as close to 35 as most of the other guys, so it suits me.

Of course deep down I still think I should be a wing or a striker but the consensus around me says otherwise...! :)

Blog Entries

Great match so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

MULTI-MEGA KUDOS, LADIES!!!! You did the USA proud! U.S.A....U.S.A....U.S.A.......
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Well, she got bailed out tonight when Sasic pulled a Billy Cundiff. That was fortunate because the USA dominated the game and deserved to win.