Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WR Camp Battle Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    The idea that scouts just passed over Waller because he didn't catch any balls at in a triple option offense isn't really credible, Demarius Thomas was a 1st rd pick. And pretty much every NFL team was at the GA Tech pro day.

Waller also couldn't beat out Deandre Smelter to get PT at GA Tech, and Smelter was a late 4th rd pick (although he's recovering from injury).

Just going off the tape, Waller looks slow starting, stopping, and cutting. With those long strides I can see why he got a good 40 time, but he doesn't look fast on tape, in fact he is not agile at all.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that he won't make the final 53, he'll either be stashed on the practice squad or IR.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agree. I think a lot of breaks have to fall his way to make it to the 53, as in injuries to other guys. He was ranked the #113 WR in the country coming out of high school (not terrible, but not a super prospect either) and even going into last season was still just projected as a backup at Georgia Tech. Totally raw one-dimensional player; I just can't see him having either the versatility or technique to make the roster unless Marlon and/or Perriman and/or Aiken get hurt. He might need two WR injuries to make it, because even a guy like Cam Worthy will probably have more immediate roster-value given his STs ability.

Seems like a good guy, a smart guy, and probably a hard working guy. The size and speed are a great combo. But he is by far the least accomplished at actually playing the WR position and all that that entails, and it's just too hard to make that leap at the NFL level.
    I don't agree with this at all. In the short time he's worked with Bobby Engram, he's already shown that he is more than just a big-body with vertical speed.

I think he makes the final-53.

Now, whether or not he suits up come game days...that I'm not sure about.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I could see Waller spending a year on the practice squad. He's a project and there is a lot of competition.

I think Waller will be on P/S. IF (big IF) he makes it on the 53, and if active he could be apart of a 2 PT team that coaches are looking to build given the division we are in. Waller, Gilmore, Marlon Brown could be a tough trio to out jump.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. In the short time he's worked with Bobby Engram, he's already shown that he is more than just a big-body with vertical speed.

I think he makes the final-53.

Now, whether or not he suits up come game days...that I'm not sure about.
    With Trestman in town, things could certainly break differently, roster-wise, than what we might be used to in the past. I left off Pitta as well -- to me there's a scenario where if Pitta doesn't come back, maybe the TE pecking order becomes Gilmore/Maxx/Boyle with Waller being a swing guy between TE and WR. If Waller can help out on STs he has an even better shot. Marlon got lost in the shuffle last year when we switched to Kubiak's offense, and was mostly used as a decoy. Is it possible Waller could overtake Marlon for a similar role, and
    could he offer more versatility being a third WR / pass catching TE? *Maybe*.

I'd still have to see it though. A few weeks with Bobby Engram isn't enough for me to say that he's gone from 6th round pick to potential contributor.

Nevertheless, the idea of lining Waller up opposite Perriman and forcing teams to think about having two guys defend over the top, that could really open up the underneath/possession passing game for the TEs and RB. We could have single coverage everywhere else on the field, and just play matchups underneath all game long. We could go 11 personnel with SSS single covered in the slot - how good would that be? I realize SSS hasn't been a slot guy all his life, but he can run routes and handle single coverage.

All of course predicated on opponents taking Waller seriously. If he can show enough in terms of quickness off the line, fighting for balls in the air, and maybe back shoulder catches, that's probably all we need from him if the Ravens want to use him in a package like that.

For now he still needs to beat all those other guys out. Are Aiken or Marlon beatable? Sure. One's a journeyman and the other a UDFA. Then again Tommy Streeter had the same measurables (smaller hands though I think) and didn't beat out anybody. So we will see. At least with Waller, the advantage he has that Streeter didn't have, is a better offensive system, and which he was specifically drafted into. Maybe it's misplaced optimism, but I think the Ravens finally have an offensive identity in place, and while Streeter was also drafted into a system, that felt like a shot in the dark, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, where with Waller I feel like they see something they can work with and have a specific role in mind, if he can get out there and take it.

Blog Entries

Well it's obvious that John Harbaugh is trying to find a way to get him on the field. I think that not only speaks to his athletic potential, but his work ethic as well. John wouldn't do that for someone who isn't showing dedication. I think they see that he's very capable of picking things up, but it may take a while yet at the same time won't be helped by keeping him off of the field too long.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

:D :D :D :D

I don't see the Ravens putting Waller on the P.S. he wouldn't last there.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

I can't see them risking him. IR? Maybe.

PS? I think it is more likely to see DeAndre Carter, Cam Worthy, or Jeremy Butler on the PS.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I could see Waller spending a year on the practice squad. He's a project and there is a lot of competition.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I can't see them risking him. IR? Maybe.

PS? I think it is more likely to see DeAndre Carter, Cam Worthy, or Jeremy Butler on the PS.
    agreed. I know we said similar about Streeter and they ended up IRing him. I think a guy with that size and speed, able to be picked up for free at any time, is just too tempting. youre investing time in teaching him and you dont want to lose that. I dont see it much different than Camp last year. They wanted a small shifty slot guy and despite him being raw and not being active and/or injured he remained on the 53 all year. They did similar with Jensen and stated they wanted him on the 53 so he could practice. Now Waller is a size guy they coveted. Hell make the 53 as long as he shows a reasonable ability during TC (which I think hes already showing to be better than where he was selected). they want him to get reps.

I also agree about the PS guys. add in the other Brown and we have 4 good WRs that if they dont make the team, youd think at least one if not 2 could make the PS. I think well end up losing a guy or two to another team ultimately, but theres talent there. were deep at WR imo, even if we dont have top end talent, we have a lot of 2-4 WRs.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well it's obvious that John Harbaugh is trying to find a way to get him on the field. I think that not only speaks to his athletic potential, but his work ethic as well. John wouldn't do that for someone who isn't showing dedication. I think they see that he's very capable of picking things up, but it may take a while yet at the same time won't be helped by keeping him off of the field too long.
    This. It's too early to say what happens with Waller, but I do think he gets every opportunity to play his way onto or off of the 53. When Harbs mentions a guy unprompted that's usually a pretty good indicator that he's intrigued enough to give him a legitimate shot. I also think he'd like a diverse WR group, which also bodes well for Waller, who might also line up at TE on occasion.

Imo this gives Darren a leg up on most of the other unproven wideouts in camp, along with being a draft pick. Coaches are human and I believe they try their best to look at players objectively, but let's face it, of the 90 guys we have right now, about 25 of them are pretty much just filler. My guess would be that around 65 have a real world chance to make the team, if that many.

To me that means that guys like Robinson and Worthy really have to seize the moment and stand out from the crowd. That's not to say that it doesn't happen. Look at Aiken last year and Marlon the year before that. However, the competition wasn't as stiff then as it is now.

Looking at it for the moment, I really think that the 4 givens to make it are SSR, Perriman, Aiken and Brown. I would have said Camp as well, but I'm really started to doubt that he can stay healthy in the NFL. I like what he brings and was excited to see him show it this season, but he may just be one of those star crossed guys that rarely sees the field due to injury.

So that could leave 2 spots being fought for by 5 players; Waller, Carter, Butler, Robinson and Worthy. If I had to handicap it I'd make Waller the odds on favorite followed by Carter and Butler. Robinson and Worthy are true long shots imo. We already know what we think Waller could add.

The key for Carter is returning kicks well enough to be worth a spot. As I said, I really have doubts relative to Camps health. So who does that leave? Asa? Maybe. Could be his key to even making the team. Webb? I sure hope not. I get chills every time I see him mentioned in connection with the job. Not because he can't do it, but rather due to the injury risk.

Now I know Harbs likes Butler, but I see him as more of a PS guy this year. Just seems too similar in body type and skill set to Aiken, but without the performance and production that Kamar now has on his resume. If he doesn't get poached he could get a shot in 2016, assuming SSR is gone.

Now if Camp can get, and stay, healthy, I think he makes it, which would leave one spot, assuming the Ravens carry 6 WR's. I just think this spot would go to Waller. Then maybe we put 2, but no more, on the PS, probably Butler and Carter.

Look, this is just wild assed speculation, but if I had to predict, it's what I see moving forward. Of course there's so much YTBD in this competition that it could be way off base, but I do think Waller makes the team, and contributes in some way, unless he totally flames out in camp or gets hurt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    :D :D :D :D

;) David Reed where have you gone? ;)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I'm all aboard the Deandre Carter hype train. I think he makes the team.